Matching 2 different sample together

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I'm using maschine 2 studio and I am wondering on how i can properly combine 2 samples together. basically i have one sample and i am looking to add something behind it so it will sound more full so i am looking for another sample. Basically whenever I sample I always tend to find a good tempo and time stretch it and pitch its tune up by around 400 most of the time. My question when combining samples should I not be pitching up the samples and rather just move them up to different keys to make them match or should I be pitching them both up to around 400 and also assigning them to the same key on the piano roll? I know this is probably confusing from the way i posted it but as u can see i am rather confused myself lol. If anyone can offer advice on how to combine 2 totally different samples it would be greatly appreciated.

Also i wanted to add that my first sample I am using right now has absolutely no bass or low end in it right now. I have another sample that has other instruments in it with some bass guitar in it. neither samples have drums.

The trick to getting good results is to really understand the relationship between tempo, length and pitch.....I would recommend starting out by learning how to accurately determine a song's tempo based on length, then learn how to cut a loop's length based on tempo, that's half the battle right there because if shit is cut wrong it will skew toward the back end and your software has no way of determining if you have made a mistake or not, it will just stretch any mistake into a bigger one based on the information you give it. Next you want to figure out how tempo (time) adjustments effect pitch so you can avoid unnecessarily fake sounding processing, like in some instances you can basically speed up the tempo and ramp up the pitch at the same time without adding excessive stretched out artifacts, in other instances the opposite will be true, so understanding the relationship will allow you to judge how best to precede......I do all my calculations the old fashion way but there must be some app you can use to punch in your values, I mean I got a bunch of music related calculators that work on my old ass Atari but there must be something more recent than that floating around on the Interwebz.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the response. I kind of figured most of that stuff already I was wondering more about the harmonics like setting the keys of the samples to match each other as well as pitch/tuning and what not. Like if I have a 1 bar loop from a song thats in F# how can I take another one bar loop from another song that I think will fit with it that is not is the same key as F# and make them both blend well and play together? I hope i'm still not being confusing lol

hey thanks for the response. I kind of figured most of that stuff already I was wondering more about the harmonics like setting the keys of the samples to match each other as well as pitch/tuning and what not. Like if I have a 1 bar loop from a song thats in F# how can I take another one bar loop from another song that I think will fit with it that is not is the same key as F# and make them both blend well and play together? I hope i'm still not being confusing lol

To be honest I just play around with the pitch of both samples, until I think it sounds good together.

It's possible to identify the scale/keys in a sample, it's either something you'll pick up immediately or over time as you learn basic music theory (scales, keys, chords..). I learned from teaching myself the basic TRIAD CHORDS and the MAJOR/MINOR SCALE in each of the white keys on a piano and humming them back to myself out loud or even just hearing it out in my head from making beats and using an old Casio piano to work out a quick melody.

I think once you can hear out the simple melody in your head (along with knowing basic music theory), you'll start noticing all the notes in any two or more samples can be tweaked to fit find a reference point you can guide your mind/ears through and match up the notes to find a RELATIVE MAJOR/MINOR chord (I tend to use this a lot) and know where the possible right fit will be, there's really only like 2-3 keys it's going to sound right in. Like Pelle0809 said too, mess with the pitch knob until it harmonically sounds well enough to make it sound right/straight and either chop up or stretch the lengths so they layer each other rhythmically, cut out anything flat, use pitch correction/automation, there's really a lot you can do to make your 2 samples "match".

Last edited:

If the tempos are the same you would quite simply just enter the from and to values you want and let the computer apply the appropriate pitch correction which would maintain the length and thus the tempo of your sample, if however the tempos are different you would seek to alter the length, tempo and pitch without unnecessarily applying time stretching and with as little pitch correction as possible......like if you apply stretching and then pitch correction or vice versa you are essentially adding artifacts on top of artifacts.

Back