Master Delay and reverb Settings

Ðësantis

Does anyone use delay in mastering? If so what part of the chain and how much wetness% Same goes for reverb. Please explain the types used and wetness levels. Thank you.

I've used reverb on an entire track as a send effect. Wetness is determined by ear for whatever I'm working on, but I think it was about 25% wet.... More importantly was the EQ I had after the reverb. I cut anything that stood out (mostly lows, low mids, and highs). It was very subtle, but still noticeable. Also, the main purpose for using the global reverb was to make everything sound more cohesive. Not sure why you'd want to add a delay to an entire track though...... but if it sounds good....

Does anyone use delay in mastering? If so what part of the chain and how much wetness% Same goes for reverb. Please explain the types used and wetness levels. Thank you.

Not so much delay although it might happen if I really miss it, but usually my focus is on removing stuff that causes micro phase shifts. But reverb I use during mastering, mainly the Bricasti M7, not always but quite often I want it, because it brings a certain amount of "live vibe" to elements in the mix, which can be good sounding.

When it comes to how I apply reverb and delay, for me these belong to the kinds of effects I want to drop below the perception threshold on low playback volume, so that these effects jump out when the listener turns up the playback volume. If I have a mix with low quality reverbs on it applied in such a way that it works only on some playback systems and volume levels, I might decide to bring back some of the air instead by removing them. When I add reverb I might put it after the limiter and before the gain on the particular busses I want it applied, I might be using 0.01% in wetness and then use the gain stage after it to make it wet enough - on the appropriate playback level by adjusting the limiter in front of it. This I then also do in combination with the reverb's EQ filter settings and other settings such as diffusion. I apply reverbs and delays very late in the mastering process, because it's when you have the mix really free from mud and other issues that you can effectively add these effects, then you know the clearity you have achieved and can hear more easily when that clearity is lost. I also balance the verb application with the saturation, for harmonization. Some reverb and saturations can fit well together in certain configurations in order to furhter harmonize certain mix elements. Usually the goal about this is also to be able to bring down the drive on the saturation a little by getting some of that harmonization from the reverb instead.

Last edited:
Back