MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

WIth that said, there is/are differences in "feel" between the MPC and software. I can program a beat on Cubase in 4/4 at whatever BPM and the same in the MPC. On Cubase, it tends to have a stiffer feel to me even though they could both be quantized at 1/16. Now, you can go back in software of whatever and change the swing, strength, etc to get that same feel. I am not disputing that point, however, there is some difference in feel.
Are you seriously trying to say the same beat with identical qunatization, time signature, and tempo played through both MPC and software will "feel" different when hearing back? LOL

Anyway, assumptions from the typical hardware vs. mouse-click driven software debate doesn't work in this case. What other software out there other than Maschine has a dedicated tactile hardware controller with total integration with the software and mouse-free workflow that makes it feel like using standalone hardware?

noborders.. the answer to the first part of your question is, YES!!! There is a difference, however thats not to say that it's so much of a difference that I can totally dismiss Maschine. I cannot.
The answer to the second part of your question is NONE! Thats the reason I'm starting to like the Maschine, and it is my primary source for drums as of now!

Are you seriously trying to say the same beat with identical qunatization, time signature, and tempo played through both MPC and software will "feel" different when hearing back? LOL

Anyway, assumptions from the typical hardware vs. mouse-click driven software debate doesn't work in this case. What other software out there other than Maschine has a dedicated tactile hardware controller with total integration with the software and mouse-free workflow that makes it feel like using standalone hardware?

Unless you have done it for yourself, you don't have an educated reply. Actually try it for yourself and then comment. YES, I AM SAYING it. Answer this, does a Motif and Fantom piano patch sound the same when playing the same exact chord, or could there be timbre, nuance, differences, etc.

There are no assumptions. I have programmed tracks on both the MPC which i own and Cubase. If you cannot hear the differences, maybe it is you. If there are ZERO difference, why do people keep stating that you can achieve the MPC swing in Maschine. That reads like there is a perceivable difference with no adjustments. Notice that i did not say that the sample will sound different, warmer, thicker, etc.....I said that the feel is a little different. It is the same theory as playing very staccato, or a little lazy.

And that was my whole thing! The MPC has a different feel. And I'm a drummer myself.. Like Youngjboy said, you have to be an MPC user to really tell the difference..

And that was my whole thing! The MPC has a different feel. And I'm a drummer myself.. Like Youngjboy said, you have to be an MPC user to really tell the difference..

Exactly playa. I been playing for almost 10 years, started out in Church, and there is a looser feel to the MPC. That is not to say that it isn't in time, but Cubase tends to be more stiff. I played Maschine and i actually liked it and have been thinking about adding it to my setup. The feel was pretty good, but i have a lot of outboard gear to incorporate and I am not sure i want to run all that into maschine and then have to run maschine into a DAW.

As far as the older MPC's, the 60, 3000, etc....I heard that they drift slightly out of time here and there which may account for the "magical swing". Not enough drift to be out of time but a slight bit to give it that flavor. Whether that was purposeful or not, who knows. It's just like analog synths that drift also.

Yep You said it best! I too have had the MPC 2000, and the MPC 4000. Now I have the Maschine. I like it because it is a game changer, but only because it is software-hardware, and it keeps on improving. I think you explained it best when described the DAWs and software as having a tighter feel. Thats exactly what it is. If you want to know the difference between something that was done on an MPC, just listen t the old music from artists like TLC, or producer Dallas Austin, or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Not to get oldschool, but listen to some of those grooves, then listen to 'Death of Autotune' and tell me what has the thicker, better groove, Noborders!

Answer this, does a Motif and Fantom piano patch sound the same when playing the same exact chord, or could there be timbre, nuance, differences, etc.

That is completely different as the piano patch would have been sampled from different pianos on each keyboard but I get your point.

What other software out there other than Maschine has a dedicated tactile hardware controller with total integration with the software and mouse-free workflow that makes it feel like using standalone hardware?

Most Arturia stuff is pretty integrated.

If you want to know the difference between something that was done on an MPC, just listen t the old music from artists like TLC, or producer Dallas Austin, or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Not to get oldschool, but listen to some of those grooves, then listen to 'Death of Autotune' and tell me what has the thicker, better groove, Noborders!
You guys can enjoy your magical "MPC feel". I'm not interested in debating such an entirely subjective topic like which songs have "the thicker, better groove". LOL

Most Arturia stuff is pretty integrated.
The integration in Arturia's products still doesn't give you a completely mouse-free workflow like Maschine. It's just nowhere near the level of total integration Maschine has.

Yep You said it best! I too have had the MPC 2000, and the MPC 4000. Now I have the Maschine. I like it because it is a game changer, but only because it is software-hardware, and it keeps on improving. I think you explained it best when described the DAWs and software as having a tighter feel. Thats exactly what it is. If you want to know the difference between something that was done on an MPC, just listen t the old music from artists like TLC, or producer Dallas Austin, or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Not to get oldschool, but listen to some of those grooves, then listen to 'Death of Autotune' and tell me what has the thicker, better groove, Noborders!

I have the 2500. I have used the 2000 once or twice but not enough to really comment. I will say that the 2500 has a better groove then Cubase. I also have a EMU MP7 command station and it also has that groove.

The integration in Arturia's products still doesn't give you a completely mouse-free workflow like Maschine. It's just nowhere near the level of total integration Maschine has.

The Arturia spark is completely integrated just as much as Maschine.

Why are you so defensive towards this product? We all like it too! You don't have to keep defending it, we all know what it's capable of.

You guys can enjoy your magical "MPC feel". I'm not interested in debating such an entirely subjective topic like which songs have "the thicker, better groove". LOL

That is why there is space for many manufacturers in the game. If you aren't a drummer, then it may not matter to you. It is like a synth head arguing over different analog synths, or a pianist debating which keyboard sounds and feels best. For those that are interested in a certain groove, it may matter. As i have always said, it is quite possible to get results on either piece, they just have their own feel, time, etc.

On another note, i have never heard of the spark......checking it out now.

Last edited:
I don't know why people can't just use what works for them. I have a MPC 2500 and I have been debating on getting Maschine. The only holdup is that i have a lot of outboard gear. WIth that said, there is/are differences in "feel" between the MPC and software. I can program a beat on Cubase in 4/4 at whatever BPM and the same in the MPC. On Cubase, it tends to have a stiffer feel to me even though they could both be quantized at 1/16. Now, you can go back in software of whatever and change the swing, strength, etc to get that same feel. I am not disputing that point, however, there is some difference in feel.

I have played drums for almost 10 years now and its the same in playing a set. Two drummers can play the same beat and have different feels although playing the same sheet of music.

I agree, I have Maschine , MPC 1000 and Live 8. Maschine Seq is VERY Stiff, the only thing it has over the MPC or Live is the Workflow in that Its Very Quick and thats all ! For me Its Live 8 all day every day.

I have programmed tracks on both the MPC which i own and Cubase. If you cannot hear the differences, maybe it is you. If there are ZERO difference, why do people keep stating that you can achieve the MPC swing in Maschine.
There's so much ignorance and myths when it comes to music production, it's not even funny. For the last time, there is no unique "MPC swing". There's nothing special about it. Swing is just percentages. You can achieve the same swing/groove easily in any of the tools mentioned here. None of these tools will make your beat "stiff" more than the other, unless the sequencer in question is very limited (software sequencers generally have a much higher resolution than MPCs).

The Arturia spark is completely integrated just as much as Maschine.
First off, Spark has not even been released yet. How do you know whether it is "completely integrated just as much as Maschine"? If you look at videos of Spark in use, there seems to be a ton of mouse-ing to get to the various sections in Spark ... going to effects, step sequencer, picking drum kits, all seem to require taking your hands off the controller ...etc. What's the point of a dedicated controller if you can't do almost everything with it???

The other thing that seems off about Spark is the main screen seems to be a mirror view of the controller. What's the point of that? And then to get to one of the secondary screens ... guess what ... you need to use the mouse ... Nothing like that on Maschine unless YOU WANT to use the mouse -- everything is doable from the controller.

There's so much ignorance and myths when it comes to music production, it's not even funny. For the last time, there is no unique "MPC swing". There's nothing special about it. Swing is just percentages. You can achieve the same swing/groove easily in any of the tools mentioned here. None of these tools will make your beat "stiff" more than the other, unless the sequencer in question is very limited (software sequencers generally have a much higher resolution than MPCs).

First off, Spark has not even been released yet. How do you know whether it is "completely integrated just as much as Maschine"? If you look at videos of Spark in use, there seems to be a ton of mouse-ing to get to the various sections in Spark ... going to effects, step sequencer, picking drum kits, all seem to require taking your hands off the controller ...etc. What's the point of a dedicated controller if you can't do almost everything with it???

The other thing that seems off about Spark is the main screen seems to be a mirror view of the controller. What's the point of that? And then to get to one of the secondary screens ... guess what ... you need to use the mouse ... Nothing like that on Maschine unless YOU WANT to use the mouse -- everything is doable from the controller.

The original video shows no mousing around. And even if you occasionally have to click on something who cares? That's not going to slow your workflow down. Your obviously spoiled by the maschine and have never used another piece of gear in your life or you wouldn't get so weakhearted anytime someone has something bad to say. How long have you been using Maschine because it used to be an unstable, crippled piece of junk that constantly crashed and never worked right. Luckily now they have updated to the point it is great, but it hasn't always been. Stop being so sad over it. Gear is gear. You will be alright if someone doesn't like it.

How long have you been using Maschine because it used to be an unstable, crippled piece of junk that constantly crashed and never worked right. Luckily now they have updated to the point it is great, but it hasn't always been.
What the hell are you talking about? You've obviously never owned Maschine with that "unstable, crippled piece of junk that constantly crashed and never worked right" BS. You're clearly talking out of your ass here. Maybe you're confusing it with Ableton Live or MPC5000 which do have that exact problem. I've been rocking Maschine ever since it first came out and I've never had any crashes or any experience where I found it to be "crippled piece of junk". In fact, it's always been one of the most stable piece of music software I've ever used. I would suggest you stick to opinions about gear that you've actually used (and I don't mean visiting Guitar Center) instead of spreading misinformation.

What the hell are you talking about? You've obviously never owned Maschine with that "unstable, crippled piece of junk that constantly crashed and never worked right" BS. You're clearly talking out of your ass here. Maybe you're confusing it with Ableton Live or MPC5000 which do have that exact problem. I've been rocking Maschine ever since it first came out and I've never had any crashes or any experience where I found it to be "crippled piece of junk". In fact, it's always been one of the most stable piece of music software I've ever used. I would suggest you stick to opinions about gear that you've actually used (and I don't mean visiting Guitar Center) instead of spreading misinformation.

Hahaha!
I'd suggest you go read the Native Instruments forum from a year ago. Tons of people sold theirs before NI's slow support (originally) fixed it. I was going to originally get one but got put off from all the problems everyone had. Why are you so mad? You get SO SAD hahahaha I have said countless times in this thread the Maschine is my favorite piece of gear on the market and is the best thing to happen to drum machines since the MPC 60 and you STILL get mad like I am ruining it's credentials! Hahaha.

And I've never heard of Ableton Live being unstable. I can't imagine all the professional musicians that use it in live performances would be doing so if that was the problem.

I'd suggest you go read the Native Instruments forum from a year ago. Tons of people sold theirs before NI's slow support (originally) fixed it. I was going to originally get one but got put off from all the problems everyone had.
Boy, you are clueless. Look, I've been on the NI Maschine forum from the beginning. There was never anything like "tons of people" selling theirs due to some imagined problem that NI was slow at fixing. In fact, the way NI has handled support for Maschine and listened to the userbase from the beginning has been exceptional. Stop trolling.

And I've never heard of Ableton Live being unstable. I can't imagine all the professional musicians that use it in live performances would be doing so if that was the problem.
This just shows how utterly clueless you are. Live 8 has had serious stability issues with constant crashing and bugs. It's pretty well known that Ableton themselves have publicly apologized for the serious issues with Live 8's stability:
Ableton Forum • View topic - Quality
Live has been crashing constantly for performers like Glitch Mob during their last tour and Zoe Keating when she performed at the last TED conference, and for many other artists to the point that many are dropping Live in droves and looking at other alternatives mainly for this serious issue.

To be completely honest, Maschine was nowhere near being up to par with an MPC when it first came out. I can also attest to Maschine being a bit less stable when it first came out. That was two years ago though....Fast forward to today, Maschine is much more useful to me and has improved my workflow.

Boy, you are clueless. Look, I've been on the NI Maschine forum from the beginning. There was never anything like "tons of people" selling theirs due to some imagined problem that NI was slow at fixing. In fact, the way NI has handled support for Maschine and listened to the userbase from the beginning has been exceptional. Stop trolling.

This just shows how utterly clueless you are. Live 8 has had serious stability issues with constant crashing and bugs. It's pretty well known that Ableton themselves have publicly apologized for the serious issues with Live 8's stability:
Ableton Forum • View topic - Quality
Live has been crashing constantly for performers like Glitch Mob during their last tour and Zoe Keating when she performed at the last TED conference, and for many other artists to the point that many are dropping Live in droves and looking at other alternatives mainly for this serious issue.

Well that sure is funny, cause I remember the forums being cluttered with negative comments, and slow support to fix the bugs; but apparently you know everything about the Maschine, you are the "maschine guru". I SURE remember lots of disappointed folks shelving it and going back to their MPCs. It has been exceptional with the last few firmware updates but it hasn't always been. I'm not trolling your just so weakhearted, you take every nitpick of a computer peripheral to heart as if I'm talking about your family!

Again, I haven't heard of Ableton being unstable. Apparently you have heard otherwise. Your being ridiculous. I said I haven't heard and you reply with "shows how utterly clueless you are" haha. Do you read the entire context at all or do you just pick and choose what words you want to see and in what order.

I bet if I said "Hey everybody I really like the Maschine" you would come back and comment by saying "Yeah, well shows how utterly clueless you are because I like it better!"

Back