Making your Kicks REALLLLY Knock....

Checkya PM. Feel free to forward to anyone you know is serious...Matter of fact, I'm gonna start sending those heads up around more often. They change damn near weekly.

DCross making a kick knock and making it go thorugh the roof almost sounding like its disting is 2 very different things...

The beat is nice and viby and one can tell you got good ear for making nice beats. But the kick is killing the song man. Its horrificly mixed in.

And having a kick that knocks is all about mixing..

I wanna say that the tips that krumbz gave are good, if your sample arsenal isn't very good. I often end up not finding the snare I want. So I make my own by layering. But if I find one I want I go for it and often leave it almost unprocessed (thats a good snare find). But snares are so personal in sound so sometimes you ain't just finding a good one with the charachter you want.

Kicks aren't near as personal as snares. But still if you have poor samples you can do as krumbz says and try and improove them. But having good ones to begin with is much better. As you practically can never get the same result with poor kicks fattened up as you can with a nice clear kick to start with. And having a good arsenal of samples (or good recordings) is key to be able to do good mixed tunes. This is what deranged is pointing out, and its important. You will never reach the top without doing this. You can get good beats still but not as good as you could with good samples.

So get good samples. It will atleast make your mixing process a lot easier. Not to mention more fun then sitting around EQin, compressing etc etc each drum sound you have. I mean I can get a snare just the way I want it with like 1 hours tweaking and layering, and I can get it to jump from the speakers and smash you in the face.
BUT when I wanna do drums with toms etc its not reasonable to spend that much time on the drum section. Another reason why good samples are to prefer.

Last edited:
And for the record, my 1st "dyckface elitist knowitall post" that started all this said nothing but that. I quoted no one. Wasn't arguing with anyone. I didn't even read anything but the OP's question before posting. Everything else was skimmed and I offered my 2 cents worth of real factual info.

Search this forum for "Kick Thump", "Kick Knock", "Kick Hard", ect. You'll see how many times this subject has been tackled and why my 1st post read like it did. And I've said multiple times in this thread, there is no right or wrong to mixing, your end result either sounds good, or sounds like sh*t.

But all you dudes who been here a week or 2 think I was just being a dick, fine. I can be that too.

Last edited:
DCross said:
naw not really but i have seen this dude in other threads always claiming to know this and know that then gets offended when people have a difference of opinion than he does....

i just starting reading this thread to see what ideas people had and this jerk had to leave his worthless imput in

you should click deRaNged's nickname and then go to "view all posts". you might learn something.

orjanbeats said:
you should click deRaNged's nickname and then go to "view all posts". you might learn something.
Agreed. He is one of the few people I really look up to here...

...no homo.

Last edited:
orjanbeats said:

if I want to learn something about engineering sure that would be a good idea.... i simply said i didnt like his track...(my opinion).... i never said his mix was bad... i dont mix, i go to patchwerks or darp studios for my personal mixing (google them).. my beat i posted wasnt even mixed...

my myspace page only a couple of songs are actually mixed.... I dont update when i get the mixes back...

but remeber I NEVER CLAIMED TO BE AN ENGINEER!!!!!!

i was just saying his track wasnt that great and here is one thats better... point blank period.... its good that you appreciate what dude does, and all, but personally i dont think he is that nice... (my opinion) you might ot think im that nice (your opinion)...

at the end of the day if you getting work your getting work, I know i have a busy plate if you want to pm i can tell you exactlly who i am and what i have done and who i work for and who i am working with...

anyway im done with it me and deRaNged went back and forth about it and now its over... that was yesterday and im not mad at anyone working..... keep doing your thing....

and one more thing some of you cats you to listen to your own music before you get involved with other peoples topics....

just because you have a lot of post doesn't mean your a better producer than the average man....

Last edited:
^^^Lol, and again, the post ain't about production. It's about engineering.

That's the problem with folk up here. You all off subject. F**k who you work for, f**k who I work for, f**k the beats. It's about how you make a kick knock.

My sh*t must be better than I thought. This is some old J.Troup sh*t. You trying to outdo a 30 second snippet of a beat I sold the same day I finished. As you said before, everybody got different opinions. Why I give a f**k about another producers?

This thread is about definites. There are definite ways to mix(even though there is more than one way to do it).

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
^^^Lol, and again, the post ain't about production. It's about engineering.

That's the problem with folk up here. You all off subject. F**k who you work for, f**k who I work for, f**k the beats. It's about how you make a kick knock.

My sh*t must be better than I thought. This is some old J.Troup sh*t. You trying to outdo a 30 second snippet of a beat I sold the same day I finished. As you said before, everybody got different opinions. Why I give a f**k about another producers?

This thread is about definites. There are definite ways to mix(even though there is more than one way to do it).

okay so whats your point???
you just said the same ish i just said but in a dumber way

So you understand we've been talking about engineering this whole thread? Apparently not.

Tell you what tho. You win?

That's what losers need to hear to shut them up. Your profile?

Equipment (music, computer):
korg triton le, roland mc-909, mpc 2000, roland jv rack, ensoniq ts10, reason 4.0, kontact, sonar producer 6, logic 8 pro, pro-tools le 7.4 digi 003 , turntables....imac and 2 G4 MaCs, Compact cpu with XP. behringer truth and Alesis M1 monitors, Tascam 24 analog track board. hundreds of plugins and tubes, compressors blue bird mic....
Biography:
DC born Atlanta raised, Inspiration comes from jazz and 60's 70's and 80's. Im a throwback producer who emphasizes drum quality with various chord arrangements. And I sample... I just do what comes to me!!
Producer/Song Writer/Engineer/DJ
DCross said:
who was talkin about mixes... maybe you was i wasnt i said your beat was whack....
mixing is whole diff department....
i never claimed to be an engineer.. .
i got engineers... its a draft, and believe me i get paid a lot to do what i do too...
believe it but i aint d**k swinging contest with faggots and punk a** engineers who think they are great producers...

go e.q. a track amateur...

im done

im in the studio
Stay in ya lane beetmaker. One second you are an engineer using a couple g4s and a "compact" computer, next minute you not. We talking about mixes, not some dude who's opinion of wack don't hold piss apparently from the sh*t on your myspace page. Maybe it'll sound better after it's dropped off at "Patchwork" for mixing?

In case you can't follow I'm being real crass right now cause I checked the sole of my shoe and realized I didn't step on nothing. The smell must be coming from ya posts?

So you understand we've been talking about engineering this whole thread? Apparently not.

Tell you what tho. You win?

That's what losers need to hear to shut them up. Your profile?

korg triton le, roland mc-909, mpc 2000, roland jv rack, ensoniq ts10, reason 4.0, kontact, sonar producer 6, logic 8 pro, pro-tools le 7.4 digi 003 , turntables....imac and 2 G4 MaCs, Compact cpu with XP. behringer truth and Alesis M1 monitors, Tascam 24 analog track board. hundreds of plugins and tubes, compressors blue bird mic....
Biography:
DC born Atlanta raised, Inspiration comes from jazz and 60's 70's and 80's. Im a throwback producer who emphasizes drum quality with various chord arrangements. And I sample... I just do what comes to me!!
Producer/Song Writer/Engineer/DJ

Stay in ya lane beetmaker. One second you are an engineer using a couple g4s and a "compact" computer, next minute you not. We talking about mixes, not some dude who's opinion of wack don't hold piss apparently from the sh*t on your myspace page. Maybe it'll sound better after it's dropped off at "Patchwork" for mixing?

In case you can't follow I'm being real crass right now cause I checked the sole of my shoe and realized I didn't step on nothing. The smell must be coming from ya posts?

LOL, ohh ****, EXPOSED!

yea f a g i use reason 4.0, kontact, sonar producer 6, logic 8 pro, pro-tools le 7.4 digi 003.... hence software so i use computers to make beats... idiot... i do record people for demos... so i guess that does make me some sort of engineer but i dont mix professionally..... okay.... you win... but to call my s*** grabage you must really be derranged....

your best s*** could touch my worst.... i tried to let it go... but you keep on with the bs...

i see how you look and it dont look like music has done alot 4 you.... internet g's kill me... i tried to be respectful but you want to post profile info, hopin to expose somebody...

look at ya pic.... you look like beanie siegel and neyo had a kid together...lol....

and nice studio....
Computer : Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.6gHz 1gb Ram

Software : Cakewalk Sonar 6.2, Pro Tools LE 6.9, FL Studio 7.0 XXL, Reason 3.04, Sonic Refills Collection, Tons of Vstis.

Hardware : Akai MPC 2000XL, Korg Triton Rack, M-Audio Ozone, Digidesign M-Box.

Monitors/Referencing : Event 20/20s, Sony Bookshelves, Creative 200W Computer gaming speakers, JBL 500w(pair) PA speakers.

Interfaces : M-Box, Blue Tube, Tube MP, Avalon M5, Nanoverb, Sonic Maximizer

Mics : too many to name, only use C 3000 and SM58. Unless situation calls for another.

Stuff actually used and not thrown in my closet : Computer(all software), Sony bookshelve's w/gaming sub woofwer, (20/20s for mastering only), M-Audio Ozone, Avalon M5.
(stuff actually used.... lol.....stuff actually owned)

Last edited:
I don't know...I use compression and eq all the time. True u don't have to, simple leveling will do. But I find that compression and eq add somethin extra to it. It just depends on taste I believe. All the arguing that took place was unnecessary. Krumbz your advice was excellent and deranged so was yours, but yes u did come off as a dick head. Krumbz u shouldn't have replied. Shoulda left it alone cause there's a lot of dick heads on this forum and arguing with them will just result in thumb blisters and/or carpral tunnel syndrome. But both u guys advice was solid. Now quit the arguing and get money, da both of ya!

DCross said:
yea f a g i use reason 4.0, kontact, sonar producer 6, logic 8 pro, pro-tools le 7.4 digi 003.... hence software so i use computers to make beats... idiot... i do record people for demos... so i guess that does make me some sort of engineer but i dont mix professionally..... okay.... you win... but to call my s*** grabage you must really be derranged....

your best s*** could touch my worst.... i tried to let it go... but you keep on with the bs...

i see how you look and it dont look like music has done alot 4 you.... internet g's kill me... i tried to be respectful but you want to post profile info, hopin to expose somebody...

look at ya pic.... you look like beanie siegel and neyo had a kid together...lol....

and nice studio....
Computer : Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.6gHz 1gb Ram

Software : Cakewalk Sonar 6.2, Pro Tools LE 6.9, FL Studio 7.0 XXL, Reason 3.04, Sonic Refills Collection, Tons of Vstis.

Hardware : Akai MPC 2000XL, Korg Triton Rack, M-Audio Ozone, Digidesign M-Box.

Monitors/Referencing : Event 20/20s, Sony Bookshelves, Creative 200W Computer gaming speakers, JBL 500w(pair) PA speakers.

Interfaces : M-Box, Blue Tube, Tube MP, Avalon M5, Nanoverb, Sonic Maximizer

Mics : too many to name, only use C 3000 and SM58. Unless situation calls for another.

Stuff actually used and not thrown in my closet : Computer(all software), Sony bookshelve's w/gaming sub woofwer, (20/20s for mastering only), M-Audio Ozone, Avalon M5.
(stuff actually used.... lol.....stuff actually owned)
You already won, man, lol. Anyone who's been a member of this forum know how old my pics on my myspace iz. That 1 actually shows a Demension 2400 with a 17 inch. It also shows my sony minidisk and Fostex Multitrack(which are in my closet). I'm on a 4600 now with a 21 inch, still a CRT. Just gave my Ozone to one of my homeboys. Since that I got a Keystudio. I'm sure you feel you "exposed" me somehow. Good for you. Maybe I should update my specs on here. Hell, lol, if I don't update this page I'm always on, why would I update a myspace I'm never on?

But if it makes you feel better...right now all I use is:

Deminsion 4600 4gb Ram running Vista Home Premium
Keystudio Midi Controller
Event 20/20s
Avalon M5
M-Box
Reason 4.0
Sonar 7.0

Still got everything else tho. Plenty of VA cats have been by my home to record since I been back, www.myspace.com/clickclacks will vouch for everything I got. They got a vid of a session that was done in my home last weekend. It might be posted.

But all that aside, how did you go from being an engineer to not being an engineer.

Play a game, put some money up, whatever you can afford, say maybe $500. For every ginuine peice of gear, hardware or software you can post with your name written on it in permanent marker, I'll post one of the same. Whoever runs out 1st loses.

Then we can throw up another $500 and start posting actual CD inserts with your producer name or gov't beside it along with your BMI or ASCAP Report to prove it is what it is. Whoever runs out 1st loses that too. So if you half of what you say you are, we'll break even. I'm sure someone on FP knows a way to setup the money so neither of us can flake out. Let's do it. No more talk til it's bout money.

Last edited:
You already won, man, lol. Anyone who's been a member of this forum know how old my pics on my myspace iz. That 1 actually shows a Demension 2400 with a 17 inch. It also shows my sony minidisk and Fostex Multitrack(which are in my closet). I'm on a 4600 now with a 21 inch, still a CRT. Just gave my Ozone to one of my homeboys. Since that I got a Keystudio. I'm sure you feel you "exposed" me somehow. Good for you. Maybe I should update my specs on here. Hell, lol, if I don't update this page I'm always on, why would I update a myspace I'm never on?

But if it makes you feel better...right now all I use is:

Deminsion 4600 4gb Ram running Vista Home Premium
Keystudio Midi Controller
Event 20/20s
Avalon M5
M-Box
Reason 4.0
Sonar 7.0

Still got everything else tho. Plenty of VA cats have been by my home to record since I been back, www.myspace.com/clickclacks will vouch for everything I got. They got a vid of a session that was done in my home last weekend. It might be posted.

But all that aside, how did you go from being an engineer to not being an engineer.

Play a game, put some money up, whatever you can afford, say maybe $500. For every ginuine peice of gear, hardware or software you can post with your name written on it in permanent marker, I'll post one of the same. Whoever runs out 1st loses.

Then we can throw up another $500 and start posting actual CD inserts with your producer name or gov't beside it along with your BMI or ASCAP Report to prove it is what it is. Whoever runs out 1st loses that too. So if you half of what you say you are, we'll break even. I'm sure someone on FP knows a way to setup the money so neither of us can flake out. Let's do it. No more talk til it's bout money.

its nothin cuz.... i dont even wanna go back and forth anymore... we both wastin to much time on this... im done for real not no punk ish.... just done keep doing ya thing...

It's Nothing!!!!!!

lol.

Samples or From Scratch?

And you got the advantage cause nikkas who don't like me gonna come out full force when they see "deRaNged vs."

Last edited:
It's Nothing!!!!!!

lol.

Samples or From Scratch?

And you got the advantage cause nikkas who don't like me gonna come out full force when they see "deRaNged vs."

against me?... its whatever.... however you want to do it whatever styles better 4 you.....

start a thread ill post tomorrow not at the studio right now....
if its a sample you pick it... and just let me know.... ill get it....

DCross said:
against me?... its whatever.... however you want to do it whatever styles better 4 you.....

start a thread ill post tomorrow not at the studio right now....
if its a sample you pick it... and just let me know.... ill get it....
You pick. Pick whatever you best at. Real talk, that's how overly confident I am I can destroy you. Lemme know, make the thread, post your best category and I'll match it. RnB, Dirty South, East Coast, Orchestral Scores, whatever.

Back