Mainstream tracks so easy?

When I worked at Guitar Center. A wanker was someone who came in and played with gear all the time but never bought anything but I think that guy meant wanker as in someone who wanks off. Thanks real nice dude...lol

Just watched "Hustle & Flow" which illustrates your point. After watchin that ****, I went home, knocked out a Crunk joint in minutes, minus vocals. It weren't no keeper but **** was fun.
I think the masses just don't like to be challenged, so they like something that sounds familiar, and ain't nothin more familiar than an 808's kicks and claps on the radio.

nickmcl said:
You are a bunch of wankers! Shut up!

You male or female nickmcl?

I'm guessing male from the name, which would therefore denote that unless you have been the unfortunate victim of an accident resulting in the loss of your manhood, that you have all the right tackle?

That being the case, I don't believe for one second that you don't caress it from time to time, you know, to relieve boredom, kill 2 mins etc?

Surely that'd make you a wanker as well?

Fact not insult...

Last edited:
Lord Thathidge said:

You male or female nickmcl?

I'm guessing male from the name, which would therefore denote that unless you have been the unfortunate victim of an accident resulting in the loss of your manhood, that you have all the right tackle?

That being the case, I don't believe for one second that you don't caress it from time to time, you know, to relieve boredom, kill 2 mins etc?

Surely that'd make you a wanker as well?

Fact not insult...

Gee, I bet that took you a while to come up with... do you always think so literaly?
I take it you enjoy hearing about how much people spend on their rent and how much of a great producer they are!

I am amazed that people here are not familiar with the term "wanker" as it has been used here.

Calling someone a "wanker" is like calling someone a "clown" or "jerk" or "loser" or "moron" or "jackass"

It is a pretty common generalized insult... like when you call someone a "clown" it does not mean they wear makeup, a rubber nose and a squirting flower...

...unless you all know that and are just just messing with him... in that case, just keep on going about your business :)

There is an abundance of musically ignorant people out there, satisfied with the most inept, cookie-cutter shake-your-booty crap ever to exist. So if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Of course, it depends on which artists or producers we're talking about.

nickmcl said:

Gee, I bet that took you a while to come up with... do you always think so literaly?
I take it you enjoy hearing about how much people spend on their rent and how much of a great producer they are!

Yes I do and not particularly but I decided long ago that disrespect and blatant abuse are the products of ignorance.

If you don't like what you're reading, don't fecking read it!

Making unconstructive comments like you did only breeds flame wars.

My comments were meant as light hearted humour in an attempt to diffuse the war before it started.

If you have nothing constructive to offer can I respectfully suggest that you refrain from sharing your negative comments.

If the mods feel that threads are heading too far off topic they'll moderate them accordingly and WITH RESPECT.

uNDefineD said:
So if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend.

Although this is not even close to being true, I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish it was true. :)

Well, as an American our biggest main stream genre is Hip-Hop, and almost everysong is very easy to produce. With an exception of Pharall Willams and Dr. Dre all the producers are just terrible.

HAHAHAHA! you all are saying that mainstream sucks? you and i might not like it. these guys are emensly talented and can shape and drive thier music to send a message. was said before, its the idea and spunk in a beat that makes it what it is. think about this...paople can hear your confidence through your music, and i dont mean your vocals. paople can tell your attitude and if you love what you make. a huge part of a successful beat like the neptunes make is the mixing and mastering. sure anyone can replicate a beat, but if you made it, different things would be accented and it would have a whole different feel. you can tell someones mood, emotions, and ego through thier music. when these things line up, people get that feeling inside, kind of like when someone's telling the truth, you just know it. thats what makes a successful artist. -- chips

oh yeah, to the guy who said "my beats sound like lil john on his best day" please post it so we can hear it, if you are right...props to ya -- chips

Originally posted by dvyce
Although this is not even close to being true, I'm sure there are a lot of people who wish it was true. :)

Pfft. Don't be so naive. You think Hilary Duff, 50 Cent and Simple Plan are at the top of the charts because their music is intelligent with thought-provoking lyrics?

uNDefineD said:

Pfft. Don't be so naive. You think Hilary Duff, 50 Cent and Simple Plan are at the top of the charts because their music is intelligent with thought-provoking lyrics?

You are calling me naive?!?

Anybody who would say "So if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend" is beyond-off-the-charts-naive.

I was trying to be nice before, but the fact is, that statement is completely retarded

Whether "Hilary Duff, 50 Cent and Simple Plan are at the top of the charts because their music is intelligent with thought-provoking lyrics" (or whether they even have thought provoking lyrics or "intelligent music" at all) is completely irrelevant to the topic of your post that I responded to.

(...and don't even get me started on the meaninglessness of calling something "intelligent music")

You think that "simplistic music" instantly gives you loads of cash and millions of fans... OK... that's not naive at all :rolleyes: :sarcasm:

It is just plain rediculous to say that the quality of music or the commercial viability of music or how underground music is, is a direct result of it's simplicity or its lyrics being thought provoking.

There is plenty of underground music as well as popular commercial music which is very simplistic... in fact, there is a lot of "underground non commercial music" is very simplistic.

Anybody who thinks "if you produce simplistic music, you've instantly gained a large audience with money ready to spend" does not have a good understanding of what it takes to succeed in music, does not have a good understanding of what is involved in making good music, and does have a good understanding of what makes different types of music enjoyable to different people... not to mention being very closed minded and not respecting music itself as the vast artform with many facets that it is.

Plus, I'll bet that what you think (or what anyone thinks) is "intelligent and thought provoking" will be "simplistic and banal" to another person... everything related to the arts is subjective and personal.

Chips that track is something I haven't posted because it does not represent me as an artist. You can hear some music that does represent me as an artist here www.soundclick.com/cameronthomas . I'd put almost all of my tracks up against any big name producers tracks any day and would feel mine were better. With that said and knowing you have a chip on your shoulder and most likely want to critisize my music as much as possible. Have at it. There are few producers I feel have me topped and the only one I can think of right now is Jay Dee. He's got a swing to his sh** that I just can't f**k with.

There are a lot more arists and producers in the world trying to crack the mainstream charts than any particular niche underground style. So does that mean the ones that make it big are the least talented? If it was so easy we'd all be doing it!

Back