Loud hissing sound when my KRK's are connected to my laptop.

joe_cfc1

So I've been searching for a couple of days to try and fix this problem, but nothing's helped so far. I've owned these monitors for over a year now, with no problems, and only recently since I bought a replacement laptop charger have I started hearing the sound. So at the moment I have 3 different ways of connecting my KRK Rokit 5's to my HP Pavilion DV6 laptop, all of which use a quarter inch jack to RCA cable from the KRKs:

1. Through my TASCAM US-122mkII audio interface.
  2. Through a small L/R RCA to 3.5mm jack converter.
  3. Through my TV, with the RCA converter plugged into the headphone port, connected to my laptop via HDMI.

All of these methods however produce this exact same buzzing/hissing sound:
View attachment Hiss.mp3

The only way I can get rid of the sound is by disconnecting my laptop charger, which makes me thing it's the charger that's causing the sound. However, I checked the compatibility for my laptop and the charger and as far as I can see, they're compatible:

The compatibility chart under my battery:
Compatibility.JPG

The charger specs:
photo.JPG

So my question is, should I invest in a new charger with a different voltage and if so, what charger would you suggest that I buy? Also, if anyone could suggest any other method of ridding the noise without having to buy another charger, that would be nice too.

So yeah, if you need any additional information just ask, thank's in advance for any suggestions :) <3

It sounds like you need an RF filter and/or power conditioning. A few possible solutions:

* RF Noise from your computer ?

* http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Ferrites-Ham.pdf (scroll down to where it says "Golden Rules to Avoid RFI")

* RadioShack

* RadioShack

* Ebtech Hum X Voltage Hum Filter:Amazon:Musical Instruments (this is a different kind of filter that works great on standard electrical hum/60-cycle issues, but you still may need to use it in combination with an EMI/RFI filter)...

You may find it cheaper to just try a new power supply, but if you get a new one and the problem continues, you'll have to try utilizing one or more of the above-listed solutions...

GJ

or a better power pack for your laptop that is properly spec'd for it not some off-the-shelf wanna-be that is probably under-powering it

More important than what your battery says it should have is what your old charger says it was - that is the set of values that you replace to not one of several arbitrary figures that may or may not match the specs of your machine...

The main problem with this type of noise issue is the inability of the specific power-pack/charger to provide appropriate levels of power (voltage x current for the device in question) without overtaxing the power source; i.e. your device probably wants 19.5V @ 4.62A = 90.09W, but you are using 18.5V @ 3.5A = 64.75W - this discrepancy (25W+, or more accurately it is trying to pull 4.87A instead of the 3.5A rated. That 1.37A extra does not magically appear) means that your computer is trying to pull more power than the charger can deliver and as such it begins to produce ripple on the power lines which manifest as audio chatter.....

Thank you for all your suggestions, they may come in handy! Unfortunately though, I'm in the UK, so the RF filters you sent have a different plug socket than I do and I can't seem to find any UK compatible versions. :(

Yeah... it sounds like you're picking up radio waves... and it's absolutely power related. Definitely see if you can get the correct battery, since you are fortunate to know when exactly the noise began and what's causing it.

Question... is your laptop/ interface currently plugged into the wall? I know the TV is.
First try unplugging your laptop, or plugging it into a difference source.
Next (my biggest recommendation) try plugging the monitors themselves into a completely different outlet... separate the plugs as much as you can, even if you have to run an extension cord into another room.

That last recommendation fixed my electric issue. I'm guessing your monitors are picking up the electrical sound (yes.. electricity makes noise) of an appliance. So.. try to completely separate them from that. That fixed my own similar problem.

Lastly... if none of that works... try to Hum X Eliminator or whatevr it's called. That fixes lots of "power" problems for various users. I'd try it as a last resort, hail mary if none of the above works.

Ah, never mind. Saw you were in the UK. I suggested a cheater plug, but I'm not sure how (or whether) those work over there.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back