Logic VS. Reason

I copped Logic 8 about 3 months ago, and my beat game has stepped up 10x, maybe 20x over. Anyone who's heard my stuff pre-Logic and now can hear the massive difference. I deleted all my old tracks cause I feel like the quality of them is nothing compared to what I'm doing now.

I had this same dillema a while back, Logic or Reason (I have an iMac). In the end I went with Logic 8, and I was so glad I did. Its a very stable program, and is (imo) very easy to use. The instruments are incredible, and the loop library is great for when you need the odd sound effect here and there (theyre really good quality recordings as well).

Reason might be better for a beginner to learn with, but I would go with Logic, its not a hard program to learn at all (well the basic processes) and the sound bank is awesome, not to mention the price you pay for it is very decent.

Make sure you get Logic Studio though, Express isnt worth it.

Peace

Ben

the sounds that come with logic are far better than those that come with reason.

find someone going to a university and for a 150 dollars you can get logic 8. the academic version.

its the same thing, with all the sounds included, plus the additional jampacks that users prior to version 8 had to pay hundreds for.

DO NOT GET THE ACADEMIC VERSION!! I am a student studying at university and I was going to get it but then I saw the little sticker at the bottom saying "Academic Version does not qualify for upgrades" if you plan on keeping it for a long time and upgrading to the next version do not get the academic version discount, youll be wasting your money.

Btw I have an iMac G5 17" with 2ghz Core 2 Duo and 1gb RAM, to be honest you probably need 2gb to run Logic smoothly, I still have to wait a while for sounds to load and I cant have many programs open while running Logic, so I plan on upgrading my Mac at the end of this year.

Peace

Ben

x7productionz said:
the sounds that come with logic are far better than those that come with reason.

find someone going to a university and for a 150 dollars you can get logic 8. the academic version.

its the same thing, with all the sounds included, plus the additional jampacks that users prior to version 8 had to pay hundreds for.

199.00? Is this Logic Studio or express?

The-Chronics89 said:
DO NOT GET THE ACADEMIC VERSION!! I am a student studying at university and I was going to get it but then I saw the little sticker at the bottom saying "Academic Version does not qualify for upgrades" if you plan on keeping it for a long time and upgrading to the next version do not get the academic version discount, youll be wasting your money.

Btw I have an iMac G5 17" with 2ghz Core 2 Duo and 1gb RAM, to be honest you probably need 2gb to run Logic smoothly, I still have to wait a while for sounds to load and I cant have many programs open while running Logic, so I plan on upgrading my Mac at the end of this year.

Peace

Ben

I wish I could afford a Mac! LOL How much processing power(GHZ) do you feel someone needs to run a DAW on a MAC efficiently?

fluxer said:

I disagree,

If you get logic studio(or whatever it's called), reason would be a waste of money. I have reason now and all I use it for is a sound module(rewired). Reason and Logic 8 overlapped too much to make it worth the extra purchase. That 400.00 you would spend on reason could be better used elsewhere in your setup.

Last edited:
The-Chronics89 said:

Peace

Ben

For $149 the academic version is well worth it. Assuming the next upgrade costs the same as the current, you could just buy the next academic version and still save yourself $50. It's a deal and a half.

sqharawa said:
For $149 the academic version is well worth it. Assuming the next upgrade costs the same as the current, you could just buy the next academic version and still save yourself $50. It's a deal and a half.

Its only $80 cheaper than the full version in New Zeaaland dollars so thats like $50 cheaper in USD. It doesnt work out at all, you have to buy the academic version 8 ($720NZD), and when you wanna upgrade to Logic 9 or whatever its gonna cost you the same amount again ($720NZD) to buy the academic version cause you cant just buy the upgrade.

TOTAL COST= $1440NZD

Whereas if you bough the full version ($800NZD) and just buy the next upgrade to version 9 ($318NZD).

TOTAL COST = $1118NZD

Thats a saving of over $300 dollars.

The-Chronics89 said:
Its only $80 cheaper than the full version in New Zeaaland dollars so thats like $50 cheaper in USD. It doesnt work out at all, you have to buy the academic version 8 ($720NZD), and when you wanna upgrade to Logic 9 or whatever its gonna cost you the same amount again ($720NZD) to buy the academic version cause you cant just buy the upgrade.

TOTAL COST= $1440NZD

Whereas if you bough the full version ($800NZD) and just buy the next upgrade to version 9 ($318NZD).

TOTAL COST = $1118NZD

Thats a saving of over $300 dollars.

We are working with different figures -- I think you are looking at Apple's MSRP for the Academic version, some American universities sell it for far less. Buy Logic 8 Academic for $149 in the US, but Logic 9 Academic for $149 in the US (assuming the price doesn't change), that's $300 USD. Buy the "full version" (non-Academic) of Logic Studio for $500, plus the $200 upgrade price for Logic 9 when the time comes, that is $700 USD.

Going the Academic route saves $400 USD, in the long run, assuming the prices don't change. However, because this calculation is made with such assumptions, it's virtually meaningless haha.

Logic all the way!! I love it...

What more do you want... a professional piece of software that is user friendly! and you cant get on PC (haha) LOL

No seriously... Logic 8 is fantastic

I just cannot get along with Reason... i think the UI is awful and its just shoddy!!

Plus everything you can do in Reason you can do in Logic Studio 8 & more!!

Logic...is Better...because You Can Make Beats And Record Vocals.....plus You Can Rewire Reason Anyways........i Think

Having the ability to record, make beats, and create quality mixes is another thing that sold me on Logic.

I like the idea of having an all-in-one package, I knew with Reason I'd have to get another DAW anyway in order to record.

Logic = beastin, no doubt about it.

P.S
All tracks on my MySpace were made with Logic 8 (Vocals, instruments, everything except I mostly use my own drum samples, but used Ultrabeat for processing and sequencing)

Last edited:
Since I'm returning to University,my financial aid package(I'm canadian) allow me to get a laptop and I'll finally be able to get a Macbook and I'll purchase Logic as well.
Reason is pretty cool but I feel that Logic is a better purchase as it can do it all and like everyone said,comes with a shytload of sounds and loops.
Yes,it can be overwhelming,but the key is to keep it very basic at first,then with time,it might be possible to master it...
The 149$ academic price makes it even more enticing...lol

Resinate said:
yo chronic you think Logic 8 will run cool on my new Macbook? I got the middle one. It's white. lol

The one with 2gb RAM and 2.4Ghz processor? That should run realyl smooth on your computer, but another thing to be aware of is the soundcard.

Obviously its difficult to get into a Mac and change the soundcard yourself, but if you have an external interface (Mbox, Edirol Firewire etc) then it takes alot of the load off your CPU because many of those interfaces act as soundcards as well.

Peace

Ben

Be careful on the power hungry plug ins though. I admit my g4 is a bit out dated but still, the exs24, ultra beat and especially sculpture can really put your processor to the test when you start adding compressors and eqs and such. Freeze track ftw!

ive used reason since the 2.0 and now have version 4. i recently switched to logic studio and i love it. my main reason being that i couldnt record vocals directly into reason. the downfall was the learning curve but sites like this and expertvillage will get you on track.

Back