Lil Wayne wants to leave Cash Money

missE

God's Baby
Lil Wayne Wants 'Nothing To Do With' Birdman And Cash Money Anymore - MTV tweeted about it less than an hour ago..First of all, I def didn't see this coming?? Anyway I wanted to ask, why would a label head not want to drop an artists album?In this case, the artist is one of the biggest $$$ makers on the label so I don't get it?I think something similar happened at dipset, since its just Cam'ron left..he didn't wanna release Juelz stuff or have him on features etc..So yeah what's the reason for this? I'm curious?Thanks

PS: Pusha T tweeted that perhaps Wayne should join GOOD music which might be good (pun intended) but isn't that under Roc Nation..(think Wayne/Birdman/JayZ "beef") ...if this whole situation is true...would Wayne even need a label at this point in his career?
Also does that mean if Wayne left the whole YMCMB and OVO would leave too? How would this work?

Last edited:
We'll see? He been with them a long time. He's was the biggest seller and basically oversaw the whole ymcm situation. I'm not sure how much of the business side he dealt with (i thought baby and slim, now mac maine)? There's probably more to this story.

I give it 8 hours tops before he claims his twitter was hacked!

Lil Wayne Wants 'Nothing To Do With' Birdman And Cash Money Anymore - MTV tweeted about it less than an hour ago..First of all, I def didn't see this coming?? Anyway I wanted to ask, why would a label head not want to drop an artists album?In this case, the artist is one of the biggest $$$ makers on the label so I don't get it?I think something similar happened at dipset, since its just Cam'ron left..he didn't wanna release Juelz stuff or have him on features etc..So yeah what's the reason for this? I'm curious?Thanks

PS: Pusha T tweeted that perhaps Wayne should join GOOD music which might be good (pun intended) but isn't that under Roc Nation..(think Wayne/Birdman/JayZ "beef") ...if this whole situation is true...would Wayne even need a label at this point in his career?
Also does that mean if Wayne left the whole YMCMB and OVO would leave too? How would this work?

There's all sorts of reasons why a label wouldn't want to release a record. Without reading his contract, we can't comment on that side. Ultimately, an artist's record is an investment for the label, and the label wants to get maximum return on its investment. Let's assume CM spent $1M on its budget for Wayne's next album. If they release it next week, they could make a return of $2.5M. But if they wait, create a larger buzz, and release it in 6 months, they could earn a return of $3M. The label wants to maximize its return, NOT JUST MAKE A PROFIT.

Right now, album sales are plummeting. We haven't had any hiphop artists go platinum this year. Even the biggest artists like TI, Jeezy, Ross would be lucky to hit gold. Record companies are scrambling trying to figure out how to make adjustments for the change in the business model. They were late when we transitioned from albums to singles. Now they are late again when we are transitioning from singles to streams. The music industry has been one of the worst industries to adjust to technology. There could be dozens of Harvard case studies written about it. They simply refuse to adjust until its too late, then they scramble to catch up.

Wayne ain't moving units like he use to. I doubt the project even goes gold.
They probably worried more about Drake's next project.

There's all sorts of reasons why a label wouldn't want to release a record. Without reading his contract, we can't comment on that side. Ultimately, an artist's record is an investment for the label, and the label wants to get maximum return on its investment. Let's assume CM spent $1M on its budget for Wayne's next album. If they release it next week, they could make a return of $2.5M. But if they wait, create a larger buzz, and release it in 6 months, they could earn a return of $3M. The label wants to maximize its return, NOT JUST MAKE A PROFIT.

Right now, album sales are plummeting. We haven't had any hiphop artists go platinum this year. Even the biggest artists like TI, Jeezy, Ross would be lucky to hit gold. Record companies are scrambling trying to figure out how to make adjustments for the change in the business model. They were late when we transitioned from albums to singles. Now they are late again when we are transitioning from singles to streams. The music industry has been one of the worst industries to adjust to technology. There could be dozens of Harvard case studies written about it. They simply refuse to adjust until its too late, then they scramble to catch up.

Thank you, the maxing profit over just making profit makes sense.. and I'm aware of the decline in sales, apparently no one went platinum in ANY genre..that's crazy.. Makes you wonder what 2015 has in store :hmmm:

Publicity stunt. Not enough hype for the album. Ain't no way you calling a nigga yo daddy all these years and you leaving because of an album.

People fall for anything and those who don't fall we got yo ass, too......MFER!!!!..........they know this.........Vince Mcmahon knew this....

As a man.....would you kiss a man's bare ass....being on contract an all.....for that 5 - 10 million dollar contract?

Wayne is responsible for extending Cash Money's dominance. If it wasn't for him signing Drake and Nikki and recreating himself with Young Money, Baby and Slim would have been history like all the other labels b4 them. He probably feels unappreciated and feels like Baby shouldn't second guess any of his decisions. Universal cut Baby a check for 100 million dollars years ago. He should be indebted to Wayne for life. When Juvenille, Turk and Manny Fresh all revealed that Baby short changed him, Wayne said he didn't care because Baby was a father figure to him. He turned a blind's eye to all that.

Last edited:
Nah......it ain't that serious......over an album being pushed back. Tunechi just don't like the response he has received for the album with the couple of singles released. They will kiss and make up.......with the album dropped.

These rappers are now OLD rappers trying to advance..............the game belongs to these new MFers.......Young Thug and nem. Lil Wayne is officially Red and Meth..............get over it........it's life, Tunechi.

Call it wishful thinking but maybe Lil Wayne and Mannie Fresh can finally reconnect 1 last time:

If it seems like Lil Wayne's upcoming album, Tha Carter V, has gotten caught in a holding pattern, that's because the rapper says it is. In a series of tweets, Weezy criticized Cash Money – the label that has released all of his albums and is home to the Young Money imprint he founded – likening his contract to a prison sentence.
Related 50 Best Albums of 2014

"To all my fans, I want you to know that my album won't and hasn't been released bekuz [label co-founder] Baby and Cash Money Records refuse to release it," he wrote. "This is not my fault. I am truly and deeply sorry to all my fans but most of all to myself and my family for putting us in this situation.
"I want off this label and nothing to do with these people but unfortunately it ain't that easy," he continued. "I am a prisoner and so is my creativity. Again, I am truly sorry and I don't blame ya if ya fed up with waiting for me and this album. But thank you."
A Cash Money representative did not immediately reply to a request for comment.
In March, MTV reported that Tha Carter V, which Wayne called his "final solo album," would come out that May. Around the time the record was supposed to come out, he put out "Grindin'," a track featuring Drake. With the album unreleased, Wayne and Drake then embarked on a co-headlining summer tour, debuting the single live. In August, Wayne released a video for another new song, "Krazy," with the album expected to come out in late October.
Just before Halloween, Wayne released another new song, "Gotti," featuring the Lox, and Billboard reported that Tha Carter V would then be released in two parts, the first of which would come out December 9th. "I recorded so many songs," Wayne said at the time. "I got too many songs. I worked way too much to give y'all half of it. If I would've dropped the album today, it would have to be 12 or 13 songs. I refuse to cheat my fans. I refuse to cheat myself."
At present, the leaderboard on Cash Money's website says the album is "coming soon."

Last edited:
Problem is, everybody think they BEYONCE now, and just wanna drop out the blue, without a single spinning.

Honestly, I don't know the last time that I heard a lil wayne VERSE on the radio.

He's super cold right now. He need to at least get warm out here before his album drops.

He knows that. He's been in the game too long NOT to know that.

Problem is, everybody think they BEYONCE now, and just wanna drop out the blue, without a single spinning.

Honestly, I don't know the last time that I heard a lil wayne VERSE on the radio.

He's super cold right now. He need to at least get warm out here before his album drops.

He knows that. He's been in the game too long NOT to know that.

In March, MTV reported that Tha Carter V, which Wayne called his "final solo album," would come out that May. Around the time the record was supposed to come out, he put out "Grindin'," a track featuring Drake. With the album unreleased, Wayne and Drake then embarked on a co-headlining summer tour, debuting the single live. In August, Wayne released a video for another new song, "Krazy," with the album expected to come out in late October.
Just before Halloween, Wayne released another new song,
"Gotti," featuring the Lox, and Billboardreported that Tha Carter V would then be released in two parts, the first of which would come out December 9th. "

What more does he need to do to warm up?

Last edited:
Wayne is responsible for extending Cash Money's dominance. If it wasn't for him signing Drake and Nikki and recreating himself with Young Money, Baby and Slim would have been history like all the other labels b4 them. He probably feels unappreciated and feels like Baby shouldn't second guess any of his decisions. Universal cut Baby a check for 100 million dollars years ago. He should be indebted to Wayne for life. When Juvenille, Turk and Manny Fresh all revealed that Baby short changed him, Wayne said he didn't care because Baby was a father figure to him. He turned a blind's eye to all that.

Truth! Wayne is cash money :) That's messed up though considering he looks up to dude..I read somewhere else that Wayne hasn't been paid royalties or some typa money for bringing drake to the team..which reminds me bout what I asked earlier, if he leaves what happens to everyone under him YMCMB/OVO? I'll assume because of contracts baby still gets a cut but do they leave with Wayne or is Baby still boss over all?

Music industry folks been on some STUPID ASS SHIT since the age of the internet. And artist went from dumb to dumber..........

Lil Wayne ain't going nowhere. Flat out. He needs to stop talking crazy and start to gain a buzz again. Baby ain't letting him go. Why?!? Him and Slim are worse than Diddy when it comes to deals.

Last edited:
Music industry folks been on some STUPID ASS SHIT since the age of the internet. And artist went from dumb to dumber..........

I would have thought Wayne would have learned from his past. All this years with Young Money, I thought he had smartened up with the paperwork and had solid contracts for his artists as well as some freedom & independence.

Back