Legends of Mixing and Mastering Music??

kahliljn

OK I know alot about the hottest producers and the hottest artist, but Im really ignorant to the people who Mix Master their music. Matter of fact I dont know 1 person thats well known in that feild for doing Excellent work. Just looking for some insight and a lil knowledge on some of the best mixers and masterers.

The Steve Albini page linked to an article with some interesting quotes:

Steve Albini said:
"I'm often asked about mixing records … 99 percent of mixing is moving the faders up and down until you find where it sounds good … Not screwing with the sound, not dreaming up elaborate effects, not manipulating the sound … The great majority of what you do is solving problems."(emphasis added)

I like that "solving problems" part. Figuring out how to capture accurately a good sound. Not a method of making things sound better.

Steve Albini said:
"I do think experimenting is important. You should read; there has been an awful lot written about the science and practice of sound recording. It is very important for you to read, study and experiment, in that order." He adds that it is important for engineers to learn why their experiments work, so that knowledge can be used later when necessary.

That's just good stuff.

all these guys have very interesting bio's. it's really worth a read.

oh! one is missing, don't forget check out the crazy shocking biography of joe meek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Meek

edit: i don't want to mention phil spector ;) i don't like his ugly "wall of sound" at all.

Last edited:
Dang, you threw in Alan Parsons. That guy is a legend from the late 60's and 70's. I swear, what that guy did with tape should serve as a starting point for new guys getting into this field. If you cannot get a mix at least close to Alan's with our extremely convenient digital environment, then you might as well give up or practice some more. Mind you, the music may not be your thing. But, you have to hear the mixes that guy did. Outstanding!

Of course, they are a real departure from the mixes being turned out today. But, they give you a real understanding of what a truelly balanced mix is. And, that is the first step. After that you can experiment wherever your projects take you. But, you must be able to nail that wide and balanced and truelly awe inspiring mix first.

Phil Ramone and Charles Granata

What they did with sound and mixing in the 40s and 50s can be matched by none of that era. Simply amazing when you compare music from that time.

I also respect the works of Tom Lord-Alge.

Last edited:
oh shut that **** up. They could still make great mixes today! I believe that the dynamics wars play a part. i also am very sure that people like bruce valerini were not couped up in a bedroom learning this **** like us. they was blessed enough to train, hang around and work with extremely talented individuals at a young age

junyadrin said:
oh shut that **** up. They could still make great mixes today! I believe that the dynamics wars play a part. i also am very sure that people like bruce valerini were not couped up in a bedroom learning this **** like us. they was blessed enough to train, hang around and work with extremely talented individuals at a young age

Who are you even talking to dude? Your comment has nothing to do with anything in this thread. Are you coming off of a drug binge of sorts?

Ahh, were you talking to Jaffi? Still man, that's a bit harsh and a VERY ****ty argument.

Last edited:
Aye do you guys think that if someone has a good ear for production like know how to put sounds together really well and make a nice beat but arent real dynamic and couldn't give you a sub par mix if they tried should give up music? Or do you think they should just stick to production and have others mix their material?

kahliljn said:
Aye do you guys think that if someone has a good ear for production like know how to put sounds together really well and make a nice beat but arent real dynamic and couldn't give you a sub par mix if they tried should give up music? Or do you think they should just stick to production and have others mix their material?

It depends on what area of the industry you want to get into. What you are describing is a record producer (along with people skills and a good atitude) in the truest definition of the word when it comes to the professional record industry. If you can get the best out of an artist, know what should go where, and have a general ear for music... then maybe you should be a producer instead of the actual composer and or mixer.

So no, don't give up music. There are so many jobs in the industry that get shaded by the home and MySpace user.

Dave Pensado. Brian "Big Bass" Gardner

Consider this a sticky.

kahliljn said:

most folks cant do it all well, having said that i'd recommend doing what you know good you may never master any one thing if you dont concentrate and focus on a certain goal.....hell thats partialy my problem cause i've been having to learn how to make beats and mix cause all my help is in prison and i cant wait for people to get out so its up to me. i just hope i bump into the right people so i can have someone else to have artistic chemistry with.

Back