Just wanna share my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB experience.

+1 I second the OP's opinion. I don't get any hiss or noise or lag or anything whatsoever with this thing. Quality Device. Pick it up.

I really like the Saffire 6 usb

I like this unit, it's sturdy, and has, as you said, zero latency n the sound is AMAZING! I'm very happy with my purchase. I would recommend this unit to anyone wanting to upgrade from their present interface. It was definitely worth the money. :sing:

glad to hear those of you who have the saffire's are enjoying them. its next on my purchase list :D enough of using my laptops soundcard :P

ovood what cables do you use cuz my saffire 6 hisses a lot when i lift the gain cuz i have a sm7

ovood what cables do you use cuz my saffire 6 hisses a lot when i lift the gain cuz i have a sm7
hello,

I use the generic cables that guitar center gave me, i don't even think there is a brand name, I will have to get home and check. I use a condenser mic (blue spark) so I can't really turn the gain knob up past halfway before the mic starts distorting because its real sensitive. my problem is that i can hear everything too clear. i can hear the people jogging on the track across the street from my house.

Hello guys, new to forum, and digital music, so to say. I had to chime in and say that I just purchased my Saffire 6 about 2 weeks ago, and I agree, it rocks. Of course, I was using a Cakewalk UA-1G, which wasn't bad, but looking to go a little further. I would recommend to anyone, just be careful, I got a guitar cable stuck in the 1st jack, freaked out and called Sweetwater, he said just be careful and rip it out! I told him it was coming back if anything happened, but went well, now have Monster cables, and all is well. Sorry so long winded, got carried away!

I've used an M-audio Fast Track Pro too, and that one is garbage if you compare it.
So for those whose still skeptical about it, you could drop that now. Peace! :)

I will buy the Saffire. I was inches from getting another Fast Track Pro, but it seems like the Saffire is worth the extra $50. Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Oh yeah, Saffire sounds way better. It's an all round better sounding box for your money compared to the M-Audio FTP.
Pre-amps alone add so much clarity to any signal, much more of the original sound comes through...Good stuff.

Last edited:
I've had my Saffire 6 USB for close to a year now, and have been fairly happy with it. I really like the build quality, and the layout of the device. It looks very similar to the M-Audio Profire 610 which I am currently considering as an upgrade. I'm not sure who copied who. The one issue I've had this last year is just not being able to use as many virtual instruments in a project as I would like. I upgraded my computer to an i7-2600k 3.4 GHz Quad Core with 16Gb of 1866 MHz RAM, and am getting much better results, but still don't quite have the freedom I'm looking for. I then ran across a rather eye-opening forum topic at Daw Bench called, Audio Peformance Low Latency Database, where usb 1.1, usb 2, firewire, PCI and PCI-e interfaces are compared for latency. The good PCI-e units tested so far are well out of my price range so I am currently looking at firewire alternatives. USB 2 appears to have a chance at being competitive with firewire, but like firewire, won't touch the high end PCI-e cards. USB 1.1 is a joke. Also, even with the firewire units, performance can vary greatly.

Since I'm new here, I can't post actual links. Below is the link for the forum topic mentioned above. On page 7 you will find the 2011 results.
forum.dawbench.com/showthread.php?1548-Audio-Interface-Low-Latency-Performance-Data-Base

I've also been considering the Saffire Pro 14, but I would need to see test results for it first. I have a feeling it wouldn't fair any better than the Saffire 56, which is way lower in performance than the Profire 610. The USB 2 Focusrite Scarlett's are currently being tested, and depending how they perform (if they can come close to the Profire 610) they may move to the top of my list. I would really like to stick with Focusrite, I'm just not happy with my current performance results.

Not sure if this will help, but on the Focusrite website, there is mention of the new i3, i5, not sure about i7, anyway, something about needing a root hub? Something to do with compatibility of processors, may apply to you, guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out, sorry can't give more detailed info, but may clear some things up for you. I don't run a lot of synths, or tracks for that matter, and I still stand by Focusrite, as far sound quality, and durability! Good luck, hope you find something!

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it down, though my first guess is it probably has to do with USB 3 compatibility. I tried plugging my Saffire 6 into a USB 3 port on my new ASRock board and it didn't work. The audio was super glitchy and I couldn't get anything to play in Cubase at all. I switched back to the old USB 2 hub that came with my tower and everything was back to normal.

Last edited:
I just bought a focusrite saffire 6 usb interface and i have a problem with the card. I can't access the sound settings while it's selected as the system's audio output source. It's terribly quiet and I can't turn it up anywhere...windows reports no problem with the installed hardware in the device manager, but in the sound settings it's says that there is a problem with the sound hardware once you click the volume under the selected card...any help?Thanks...

Have you been to Focusrites website, the disc has 1.8 version of driver, 1.9 available at website. Give that a try, weird I had no problems, was the easiest install, and I used the 1.8 driver. What are you running Sonar, Pro Tools, what kind of computer, windows version?

My OS is Windows XP, i mostly use fruity loops and Cubase for music...i've downloaded the drivers from their website but it doesn't fix anything, neither on my computer, neither on the laptop...it's strange cause the device manager reports it's working fine...the card works in fruity loops but not in windows...

Then I take it you have went into sounds, and made it your default playback device(?), I have Windows 7, so I'm not sure I will be much help to you, but only other thing is have you disabled your internal soundcard, maybe they're fighting each other? Hopefully someone who knows more about this will chime in, good luck!

First of all, hello!
I made this thread since there's little amount of infos and reviews about the Focusrite Saffire 6 out there.

So yeah, I just got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB and boy it kicks my Firebox big time... At first, I was skeptical about the USB 1.1 but it's really not that of a problem. It has near zero latency. The preamps itself already is very worth the price. It's crystal clear with a lot of headroom. If you compare it the Firebox, it's like night and day. The sound is not that bassy and it's actually better than Firebox. I've used an M-audio Fast Track Pro too, and that one is garbage if you compare it.

The reason I went to the USB route is that, it is for my laptop for mobile purposes. And having a 4-pin firewire slot will require a power supply so that would be a bummer.

So if you're in a quest for a USB audio interface for mobile purposes, try this. It also has some extra RCA outputs if you want to cue or connect it to your mixer. So for those whose still skeptical about it, you could drop that now. Peace! :)

Good to know... I've been looking for a USB audio interface for sometime. I was always biased towards PCI/PCIe, thinking that it's always better than USB/firewire. Gotta start getting with the times I do.

EDIT... what the... why does my post show up in a narrow column?

Last edited:
Jack is stuck

Hello guys, new to forum, and digital music, so to say. I had to chime in and say that I just purchased my Saffire 6 about 2 weeks ago, and I agree, it rocks. Of course, I was using a Cakewalk UA-1G, which wasn't bad, but looking to go a little further. I would recommend to anyone, just be careful, I got a guitar cable stuck in the 1st jack, freaked out and called Sweetwater, he said just be careful and rip it out! I told him it was coming back if anything happened, but went well, now have Monster cables, and all is well. Sorry so long winded, got carried away!
I just got my Scarlett 2i2 yesterday. Plugged a jack in the first input and it was stuck just as you described. Did you just pull it very hard to get it out?
I am worried it might break something inside?
Would appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance?

Give it hell,lol!!

No, I called, and they said, just keep pulling firm, and it will come, and it did, and so did my ass on the floor,lol!!! But still works like a charm, wouldn't trade it! It will come, just be stern, but gentle(oxymorn), which I am sometimes, good luck!!, let me know if ya get it?

Back