Just Got Reason 5 (Commercial Version)

y is it that sooooo many people got it from guitar center?!! Apparently the one by me is holdin back cause they told me twice that they don't got it in! Ugh now I gotta go get a bad chick wit a phatty to go in there and cop it for me lmfao!

:bigeyes: What you mean A BIG STUDIO in Nofolk got that joint up and running already? I thought you couldn't use it until the 25? :confused: Man I am telling you Reason 5 and Record 1.5 is making a big splash!

They got it running. Was playing on it all night. I'm not familiar enough with Record to know what you gotta do. Maybe the Key runs it before registration can be set up?

Not sure if Reason 5 has ignition or not, but they had it running to. If it's like Reason 4, you just gotta enter your Serial Number to activate it.

Dudes were in there too excited about that joint, lol.

One thing I will say, with the new sampling function, I overlooked the fact you can now plug up a guitar and add a quick riff to your tracks. or mic up and add some quick "heys" and "Whats" to a downsounth track.

I didn't get a chance to get into it, but Record 1.5 looks confusing as hell(It may have always looked like that, but I remember it making more sense). It's like Reason with 3 lanes, modules all over the place, I was getting lost in it. Maybe the way they had it set up and the fact we were buzzing a little didn't help.

Still not sure I'm excited about this upgrade.

^^^trust me when I tell u this upgrade is the best in years.
It's monstrous.
Live sampling is crazy...
Blocks makes write/arrange like mpc..
Did I mention kong?

reason 5 you can have it running but the reason 5 upgrade you have to wait until the twenty fith. unless you buy the whole record reason 5 duo.

They got it running. Was playing on it all night. I'm not familiar enough with Record to know what you gotta do. Maybe the Key runs it before registration can be set up?

Not sure if Reason 5 has ignition or not, but they had it running to. If it's like Reason 4, you just gotta enter your Serial Number to activate it.

Dudes were in there too excited about that joint, lol.

One thing I will say, with the new sampling function, I overlooked the fact you can now plug up a guitar and add a quick riff to your tracks. or mic up and add some quick "heys" and "Whats" to a downsounth track.

I didn't get a chance to get into it, but Record 1.5 looks confusing as hell(It may have always looked like that, but I remember it making more sense). It's like Reason with 3 lanes, modules all over the place, I was getting lost in it. Maybe the way they had it set up and the fact we were buzzing a little didn't help.

Still not sure I'm excited about this upgrade.

Nah with Record you have to register it and make sure that ignition key gets the code then open up Record for Record to work. Reason 5 don't have an ignition key so you can have that up and rocking. But Reason 5/Record1.5 does, being if you open Record. You have to register both to run. But they did give you the option In Record I don't know about Reason 5, that if you open Record without the key you can run it in demo mode or get online and run it.

Man if you can work Reason you can work Record. It didn't look complicated when I first opened it, I got right in an made a track that same day. Only thing is the SSL 9000K, the rack looked the same it's just you can have two racks side by side that is hot. other than that the sequencer and all that is the same with a few new features to enhance editing and export and bounce etc.

Modules all over the place? HUH? Man the Modules are neatly stacked they are not drop down plugins. Yeah you must of been tipsy and whatever you were drinking altered your eye site. :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

^^^trust me when I tell u this upgrade is the best in years.
It's monstrous.
Live sampling is crazy...
Blocks makes write/arrange like mpc..
Did I mention kong?

34s173d.jpg

YOU GET FIVE FIST FROM ME!

I am glad someone else feels the same way I do. See you see it just as I see it as the MPC and that's great because I am coming from the MPC where I can do the same thing but I had to look on that small screen but I never complained and I am still going to use my MPC cause I got some tricks Ima do with that baby and use it with Record!

You talking about KONG?
2j4rqtf.jpg

This will be my beast right here I am going to kill it.

Modules all over the place? HUH? Man the Modules are neatly stacked they are not drop down plugins. Yeah you must of been tipsy and whatever you were drinking altered your eye site. :confused:

I can't argue that. I recognized the modules running(basic stuff from reason), but they were not(at least in my state of mind)neatly stacked.

Could be that there screen resolution was wrong or something, but seemed like you had to do alot of scrolling to find stuff.

I'll see for myself in 4 more days(actually 3 @ midnight).

I can't argue that. I recognized the modules running(basic stuff from reason), but they were not(at least in my state of mind)neatly stacked.

Could be that there screen resolution was wrong or something, but seemed like you had to do alot of scrolling to find stuff.

Well you can have an "unlimited" number of racks, so that might have been the problem. Once you start a couple songs from scratch with an empty mixer/rack/sequencer it should be easier for you to get your head around it. If not, the boxed version installs video tutorials, there's more videos on Prop's youtube page, and a lot of the record manual is basically cut and pasted from reason's manual, so it shouldn't be too hard to catch up.

You're not the only one, I found record to be a little too busy for me despite coming from reason (and I was a heavy reason user). I just think when you stack that much graphical stuff on each other it feels a bit unnecessary. Reason was easy to learn (in my opinion) because of the visual metaphors of devices, but too much of a good thing can quickly turn bad. Maybe when it comes to heavy recording and mixing I'm too used the interfaces like Reaper or Logic Pro.

Anyway, I'm not trying to crap on record or reason, it's good that people are getting to play with it early, and do what they enjoy, making music. Just wanted to say you're not the only one who thought that. Maybe I'll try record out in the next major version, and see how it matures (please god let them get rid of recycle by then and just integrate it lol).

Last edited:
sorry. didnt read anything on here yet. or searched. straight up. cuz im too lazy to do so rite now ha. but for reason 5 will i be able to play the sounds from my rack directly into reason now? or i still gotta rewire thru a diff sequncer? thanks appreciate it. and sorry for the lazyness :/

You're not the only one, I found record to be a little too busy for me despite coming from reason (and I was a heavy reason user). I just think when you stack that much graphical stuff on each other it feels a bit unnecessary. Reason was easy to learn (in my opinion) because of the visual metaphors of devices, but too much of a good thing can quickly turn bad. Maybe when it comes to heavy recording and mixing I'm too used the interfaces like Reaper or Logic Pro.

Anyway, I'm not trying to crap on record or reason, it's good that people are getting to play with it early, and do what they enjoy, making music. Just wanted to say you're not the only one who thought that. Maybe I'll try record out in the next major version, and see how it matures (please god let them get rid of recycle by then and just integrate it lol).

Good to know I'm not taking crazy pills, lol.

@F or Deaf, whatever I can buy straight from Prop's website, I don't mind waiting on shipping, just upgrading because i'll get Record practically for free. If I don't like Reason 5/Record 1.5, I'll probably archive all my Reason 4 beats and Reinstall Reason 3 and never give props another dime of my money though.

Reason 3.0 is still my favorite production product of all times. Reason 4 falls short to FL Studio and the MPC 2000XL, I'm complex about what I want out of a sequencer.

@Deranged

When you said R4 failed short to FL and The MPC, did you mean sampling/chop and sequencing/swing?

I found no matter what swing option I used I didn't like it.

^^^The new sequencer in R4 that many enjoyed was too "sterile/computerized" to me. The one in R3 was the perfect bridge from hardware to computer workflow. Almost identical to what you'd find on a workstation keyboard.

You can't even overlay drums in R4, you have to give multiple lanes.

^^^The new sequencer in R4 that many enjoyed was too "sterile/computerized" to me. The one in R3 was the perfect bridge from hardware to computer workflow. Almost identical to what you'd find on a workstation keyboard.

You can't even overlay drums in R4, you have to give multiple lanes.

Okay. I hear you. PH lost me as a customer.

Last edited:
FL is definitely still the most powerful product in the "soft studio" range. It's got the kind of features that rival major DAWs. The problem with FL is that it is wacky. LOL The more features they add to it, the more wacky it becomes. Features are added in ways that are hard to figure and sometimes hard to use. Key commands and key modifiers in the sequencer and piano roll for example. Every conceivable combination of Control or Shift or Alt plus Left Click or Right Click or Middle button click can be used, but in haphazard ways. You may want to do something as simple as scroll or zoom, but you end up quickly shifting notes in the piano roll by rolling the scroll wheel, or shifting clips in the sequencer! You can do it so fast and accidentally that you don't even realize. Other wacky things are stuff like, "make unique". You have to jump through major hoops to make a sliced audio clip truly unique. And if you don't make it unique, then accidentally stretch a piece of audio, every other piece of audio which is still "related" to that clip will also stretch. So imagine, you chop up a loop, rearrange it in the sequencer and make a new beat. Make a 3 minute song. Then, accidentally stretch 1 of the clips. Suddenly, Fl begins to stretch every single instance of every chop which was a part of the original loop. LOL And when it's done, your song is ruined. Press undo. No dice. Undo doesn't work on stretched audio parts. If you're lucky, you will have had snapping on so maybe you can guess at it and stretch it back to where it was. I mentioned this to Gol. His response was, "Yeah we know about that". Not, were working on it, or we care about it, or anything sensible. Just a basic, "uuhuh".

FL is definitely still the most powerful product in the "soft studio" range. It's got the kind of features that rival major DAWs. The problem with FL is that it is wacky. LOL The more features they add to it, the more wacky it becomes. Features are added in ways that are hard to figure and sometimes hard to use. Key commands and key modifiers in the sequencer and piano roll for example. Every conceivable combination of Control or Shift or Alt plus Left Click or Right Click or Middle button click can be used, but in haphazard ways. You may want to do something as simple as scroll or zoom, but you end up quickly shifting notes in the piano roll by rolling the scroll wheel, or shifting clips in the sequencer! You can do it so fast and accidentally that you don't even realize. Other wacky things are stuff like, "make unique". You have to jump through major hoops to make a sliced audio clip truly unique. And if you don't make it unique, then accidentally stretch a piece of audio, every other piece of audio which is still "related" to that clip will also stretch. So imagine, you chop up a loop, rearrange it in the sequencer and make a new beat. Make a 3 minute song. Then, accidentally stretch 1 of the clips. Suddenly, Fl begins to stretch every single instance of every chop which was a part of the original loop. LOL And when it's done, your song is ruined. Press undo. No dice. Undo doesn't work on stretched audio parts. If you're lucky, you will have had snapping on so maybe you can guess at it and stretch it back to where it was. I mentioned this to Gol. His response was, "Yeah we know about that". Not, were working on it, or we care about it, or anything sensible. Just a basic, "uuhuh".
This was funny has hell.

if i get the duo i want to clean out my computer and use it with the maschine. too bad the reason 4 + maschine combo doesn't work as well as i'd like, but hopefully with the upgrades, record and kong i can find a way to either use maschine as a controller or just incorporate it better than i can with reason now.

is it a smart idea to try and use r+r as an all in one software solution?

I agree with Cash this is funny ass heck lol Yo lol :rofl::rofl:

Funny he said

"FL is definitely still the most powerful product in the "soft studio" range."

"The problem with FL is that it is wacky. LOL The more features they add to it, the more wacky it becomes. "

:confused: I am more confused than Ertha Kit drawls being washed by 5 river crickets pop locking to entertain Barak Obama lol :rofl:

I am glad PH won't add outside stuff

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 AM ----------

if i get the duo i want to clean out my computer and use it with the maschine. too bad the reason 4 + maschine combo doesn't work as well as i'd like, but hopefully with the upgrades, record and kong i can find a way to either use maschine as a controller or just incorporate it better than i can with reason now.

That's how I use it. I have the Akai MPK88 and rock it with RnR and I am good. Pads and Keys and knobs it's the best. It depends on who the person is and what they want their set up to be.

people debate this all the time around here lately. I for one say sure why not. I use Reason Record and Recycle with nothing else for the most part outside of the occasional sound I may play from my Trinity rack.

Back