Is This Gear Lust?

ihave an 8000 which ilove, i'm in need of a keyboard to go along with it, at first iwanted the fantom then istarted messing with the korg m3, to me the m3 sounds so much better but would take me alil bit of time to learn since i'm used to roland. ialso played with a pc3, idecided that the pc3 is a must have for me. my problem is that iget bored with working with the same gear all day so iwould alternate from my mv-8000, to the korg whichever inspires me at the moment and have the kurzweil for getting crazy and getting unique sounds. is this a problem bacause these are 3major workstations and i'm starting to feel like a gearwhore. is any1 else like this or understand what i'm trying to say?

I solved my gear lust by buying a few books on synthesis and music theory and such. I've learned sooooo many ways to squeeze more out of what I already have, that I don't really think of buying new gear much anymore. I've turned my lust into the drive to find a good instrument that will last me a lifetime. Something like an Andromeda, Virus, or Moog. Maybe a Prophet (much harder to demo in my area).

I solved my gear lust by buying a few books on synthesis and music theory and such. I've learned sooooo many ways to squeeze more out of what I already have, that I don't really think of buying new gear much anymore. I've turned my lust into the drive to find a good instrument that will last me a lifetime. Something like an Andromeda, Virus, or Moog. Maybe a Prophet (much harder to demo in my area).

Excellent post. I have had gear lust, and bought a whole lot of stuff, but lately, I have backed off and started to want to use what I got. Too much time spent on aquiring more stuff and none spent on learning your gear and creating music.

Any books you would recommend?

the kurzweil itself is enough to keep someone glued to it for days and still not learning all its features, ithink imma stop once ihave the m3 and kurz along with my mv and ialso have reason, thats alot of learning right there lol, bt yea are there any books that could be recommended?

You crazy...

To each their own. I am obviously not alone. Go out to some shows and look at how many Motifs there are on stage compared to Kurzweils. Kurzweil is good no doubt, I just prefer Yamaha. I haven't extensively played any Kurz's aside from in GC and from the brief time, they are good, but the old K 2600 series was seriously high in price in relation to the Big 3.

Any books you would recommend?

I have been reading the Computer Music Reason guide, it's pretty nice. It explains all the devices, has projects/tutorials, and there are some interesting pages on routing. I also picked up the Dance Music Manual by Rick Snowman. It has some good basic stuff, but then gets more into the details of signal chains, mixers, gear, and then covers each genre. And finally, I got Music Theory for Computer Musicians. The combo is pretty good, some theory, some genre specific details, and some stuff specific to my current DAW.

I'm sure it can all be found on the internet, but it's nice to have something to read in the bathroom aha, and it's always on hand as a reference.

Last edited:
people sleep on Kurzweil K2000's because they're older, but they are amazing... People think they always need the newest workstations and synths out, but really all you need to do is just find a couple pieces that have a character that meshes well with your style of music. To be honest, it really doesn't matter what gear you have, because i've met people that spend several grand on gear at one time just because they wanted to get into "making beats" like the "pros" but honestly the best music I've ever heard was made with ****ty garage sale finds recorded on a 4-track cassette.

G.A.S. never ends... There's always something out there you will want to get. My advice for anyone is just stick with software and midi controllers unless they are serious about it.. and if you plan to buy gear, think long and hard before you purchase, because it sucks buying something you realize you don't really need. (like why in the hell did I buy a talkbox? lol I never used it)

Ive come to a point where I don't spend money on gear anymore. I only spend the money I make from music on gear. Makes a big difference because it motivates me to put in work to get more gear.

Back