Is my song too bass heavy?

Savagesavoie

sup! I have been struggling with this mix for a week! I really love the way everything sounds in headphones and I'm pretty satisfied on my monitors. The thing is on some sound systems it seems to be way too bass heavy. Every time I try to cut low end freq I can't seem to feel comfortable with the end result, it's either too bassy or not bassy enough. How does it sound to you? any ideas on how to reduce the bass-heaviness that causes distortion but retain the punch? https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e1503m243j2bsy/emit.wav?dl=0

Very cool beat. I think its going to come down to preference in this case. I would perhaps turn down the kick/808 a tad bit.

I am using over ear studio headphones and the bass line is pretty cool, Maybe turn it down a heard this through studio monitors, that is the only way to find out really man!

Did you do anything else than EQ/mix it? Like, did you try to master it? Naturally, you need a good mix before you master, but the cool thing when you master is that you can kinda boost stuff and limit them at the same time. And also if your mix was decent and not too loud to begin with it is easy to at least control clipping/distortion while mastering it. A suggestion would be to play it on several different systems while mastering and take your time to find out what gives the best all over result.

Big apologies in advance if I only told you stuff you already know and that you didn't find helpful!

It kinda sounds like that synth panned to the left has too much low end? If you want a good sub bass, more often than not, you need that to dominate the bass area. It sounds like there's some serious conflict down there. I like the subbass volume, myself.

Back