Is a Transient shaper a good idea when mastering

levoxmusic

So this might be a really nooby question but ive been producing for a couple years and recently cam across schaack audios transient shaper 2. i know when you turn drive up it allows a little more headroom. This is usually don't in the mix, however is this a bad idea when mastering. I tried it and i cant seem to hear and quality loss or clipping, and it makes it significantly punchier and louder when turning up the gain, now that i have headroom.
Should i not do this?

I've never heard about putting a transient shaper across a whole mix, let alone in the mastering phase...but I guess there ain't necessarily anything wrong with it if it sounds good. I'd consider this a master-buss processing thing in the mix phase rather than mastering, though - but that's really just semantics if you're doing everything yourself.

Yeah, a transient designer is more useful when dealing with individual elements of a mix. I have never heard of using it across an entire mix until your post. I'm not sure how you would achieve a desirable outcome with this approach, but then again, if it sounds good it is good.

Back