Is a MPC the answer?

Ya dude stick with FL a little longer maybe get an MPD. Once you are producing at least pretty decent beats in it then start considering something new. If you can make good **** on a program you feel constrained in then think what you could do with something you find easier! I've been using FL for awhile, and feel it is easy and am making decent **** on it. My Mashcine should be here on monday though. Just learn FL REALLY GOOD dude. Its better than you think.

you can get a 404 to take with you wherever, bang out beats, load em in FL & do what you do, best of both worlds...

Mpcs are great machines. I love mine. Is it the answer or end all of production hardware? no. Is it the best piece of production hardware Ive ever owned? no. Its one of my favorites but Reason really does offer a lot more than a Mpc does and depending on your computer speed you can do a lot more on the fly with Reason than you can on the Mpc. They work differently but can accomplish the same thing as far as drum programming is concerned. Now when it comes to sampling I think the mpc has a slight edge because you don't have to go through the long process Reason has but a Mpc is not required.

I say buy an MP,
It's all about creativity,
some artist like using watercolors and others charcoal.
Both get the job done, just in different ways.
But I say master both, but you cant if you only have one so buy! buy! bye!

Spence, so what i'm hearing you say is that you don't like how you you would have to ue your mouse to do drum patterns n such on your DAW's and so you want an some sort of drum machine, that can make it faster and at the same time easier for you to go about creating your music. In addition, you feel like you can create beats better in a drum machine such as an MPC/MPD, because it has a simplier way of making patterns, or to say it another way, you can get whatever beat you have in your head out on the mpc faster, than trying to go through EVERY little sample you have in your DAW's, to make you beats, which will take up time and money, since you said you pay for tudio time. So in short, you would want a drum machine to increase your beat-making process as well as your skill in making beats on your DAW. I'm also guessing that you would want to just use whatever synth/keyboard you have strictly for playing the melodies, etc. that you would originally do in any piece of music (even though you could use that as an MPC with with FPC in FL Studio), and use whatever drum machine you are considering getting, for your sampling/squenc./drum patterns, etc.

If some or all of the above is correct, then i understand what where you are getting at. I hate having to use my mouse for most of my production, because it takes up time, and i feel like with a drum machine, this will make my thought process on making beats, sound more like the way i envision them, and a hell of a lot easier than clicking away on my midi keyboard and mouse.

I would recommend getting an MPD if you are strictly making beats from a DAW, and if you are doing a live performance, in addition, i would say get a MPC 2000/xl or 1000. The MPC comes with more default presets than the MPD, to my knowledge, but if you can afford both, then get both. There are some 32's you can find online that are used going for as low as $250, and MPC's (that is 1000's/2000's) somewhere around $600-700, maybe lower if you don't mind a used one.

Last edited:
if you got a nice computer for your stuff so you dont get a virus then i would say use a DAW with mpd. my computer isnt all that great,but it works good enough.i cant do anything in rewire or my computer will freeze. it all depends how your computer is. if you dont think you should use your computer then get something like a mpc2000. you might still have to track out with the computer,but yea

These past post have been very informative. In the past week I've made about 9 pretty good beats. I decided to just milk all I can out of FL Studio 9 until I can get a MPD.

alright cool. Glad to have helped.

Oh and on a side note, if you ever need help with anything in FL Studio, you can check out some of the tutorials on youtube, Nfx's channel is probably one of the most helpful ones out there, as he explains many of the musical theory/ audio engineering terms in great detail-his site: warbeats.com

Last edited:
alright cool. Glad to have helped.

Oh and on a side note, if you ever need help with anything in FL Studio, you can check out some of the tutorials on youtube, Nfx's channel is probably one of the most helpful ones out there, as he explains many of the musical theory/ audio engineering terms in great detail-his site: warbeats.com

I mainly watch his sampling tutorials, they are really good. The other reason I wanted a MPC was because it looked easier to arrange samples with it. When I try to make a sampled beat on FL Studio it's just not how I imagined it going. I probably should just get good with it so I can do exactly what I hear in my head.

An MPC is awesome....hands down changes the way you work....it would be nice if mpc's integrated tighter with computers but that day is not here yet

An MPC is awesome....hands down changes the way you work....it would be nice if mpc's integrated tighter with computers but that day is not here yet

One thing I really like about my 2000XL is that I don't need to stare at the computer's screen..

Last edited:
I just bought the MPC5000 and so far from what I know it can do, it's an outstanding peice of hardware. It's a very versatile piece of equipment. It can also be synchronized to another MIDI controller and act as the master or the slave.

MPC5000 is a monster but as many have already stated it takes tons of practice to get good at it. I don't believe anyone who can say they jumped on any MPC and made a banger on their first attempt. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

MPC5000 is a monster but as many have already stated it takes tons of practice to get good at it. I don't believe anyone who can say they jumped on any MPC and made a banger on their first attempt. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
first beat i made on my 2000 was a banger

Negative lol. Ive dabbled on mpcs but never really learned one until i bought one. best music based purchase ever even if it died on me

I bought a 2k classic just before christmas it died on me right after the 1st of the year and my part to fix it should be in the mail today. im excited for it

So its never the software/hardwares fault for not allowing the type of ease and flexibility one may need to do better? Most of you people say "if your beats are blah blah then they'll always be blah blah" So I'm assuming that none of you have upgraded to anything better because your beats have been great from the jump right? Negative. If this was the case then none of you would have made the switch to what your using now. I started making beats on reason, they sucked I moved to FL studio they got better, and now I want a MPC the chain can only move up. You sound foolish for not understanding how basic human learning works.

Your're a newBE for real...no diss bro.

Moving from one thing to another didn't make you better. It's the learning experience you applied to the next app.

The MPC is dope because it's basic and to the point (music). I made the mistake and sold mine.

Last edited:
For me personally, my experience as a producer completely changed (for the better) when I copped my MPC 2000. There are obviously newer machines out there, but I can't imagine using anything other than my MP. In the end, it all depends on personal preference.

Back