I'm totally confused! What audio interface should I get? :(

heeheeking

Some spelling may be modified so a text-reader can read this aloud for me.

I'm trying to decide what audio interface to get.
I have an iPad and an older Macbook. I'll be recording alone, so I'm not gonna be inputting more than 2 tracks at once. Maybe only 1.

I'd like an audio interface that can be connected to a PC as well as a Mac, in case I have problems with the Macs.

I can't spend too much! Maybe 100 to 150 dollars?

I'd like the bit depth to be 32...
and the sample rate to be 96.
Traditional MIDI in and out
plus USB.
Inputs and outputs must be balanced.
Quarter inch plus SLR connections.
Phantom power.
Converters:
analogue to digital
digital to analogue...
Onboard DSP power...

I know little about all this.

I wanted to use the iPad because I have low vision... and I can pick up the iPad and hold it right up against my eyes in order to see the screen. But I'm thinking the Macbook is more powerful. I can't use the Zoom feature in the Macbook. Unlike in Windows, it's too involved. I'd have to spend half the day adjusting it! But I'll figure something out. :)

I wanna use GarageBand and the iGog drum program. iGog is on the iPad. I think there's a complicated way to import drum parts from the iPad to the Macbook. I also wanna input from an older piano keyboard if musical typing turns out not to work for me. (How do you get sustain with musical typing?) :) And isn't there a work-around so I don't have to hear myself delayed, (latency), while recording. How do I achieve this?

I know this is a lot. But I'm really confused. I just want a simple audio interface setup with no noticeable latency to derail me when recording.

Can somebody please help? Remember! I'm a total idiot! You need to talk to me as if I were 5 years old!!! Dyslexia, A D D, and some other yucky stuff makes it hard for me to take in complex information easily. :(

Thanx in advance for any help. Sorry if I'm rambling and being confusing. I suppose everything doesn't have to be answered in one message. :(

Something like the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB might fit the bill. Pretty much does everything on your list, except of course there are no interfaces that do 32-bit recording - DAWs handle audio 32/64bit internally, though. You didn't specify what you'd like the "onboard DSP power" to do, but suffice to say no interface in this price range will have DSP capabilities.

Then I guess I'll have to spend more, (to get DSP). I don't trust an old Macbook or an iPad to be able to handle everything I'd like to do.

What I'd actually like to do... is record 2 or 3 guitars, one with a 12 string simulator. And I'll be using a few other effects as well. And vocals... sometimes with effects. Tracks recorded one by one, but building up to maybe as much as 20 I think sometimes. I suppose I could mix down during the process, to take some of the load of the hardware?

Back