If I produce an EP for an artist and they get signed, where does that leave me?

Jpt09170

Hey, I'm producing an EP for a new artist and I'm wondering if that artist were to be signed by a label (perhaps a well known label) where does that leave me as a producer? Is that good news for me? Or is this artist going to be working with more experienced producers through that record label and never look back?

We don't have any agreement yet as far as rights to the music and royalties or what happens if the artist is signed by a label. That is soon to be discussed before anything is released. I've done all the production of the EP including writing the music, composition, overseeing the vocal recordings and bringing them together to create the finished product. The artist is writing the lyrics, singing and coming up with the melody of their vocals. I've also not charged the artist anything for my work because they are a new artist and I know them as a friend. Any help on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Business and Friendships don't usually mix well. So to save the friendship get things in writing. Discuss everything in terms of Royalties, who owns what or what percentage of ownership is gonna be shared. Hopefully 50-50. But just try to put somethings in writing just to save yourself from any issues that may come up in the future.

^^^That works for the EP in question. That should be done before selling the 1st copy(the OP even said that was being handled in his post), but that has nothing to do with future works.

Again, IF YOU'RE GOOD AT YOUR JOB AND THEY HAVE THE BUSINESS SENSE TO GET ANYWHERE, THEY'LL KEEP YOU AROUND.

To put it in perspective, should the artist be concerned about you producing and writing with other artists and hit you with a stipulation clause in a contract saying he has a right to something if you do so?

Last edited:
It will depend on your relationship with the person. Technically, he doesn't own you anything. Unless you sign a 'three EP deal' or something, he's free to use whatever producer him or his label want. Hopefully though your music is good enough and you're good enough friends that your business relationship with him keeps going. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

In my perfect world; If this artist got signed, he should be telling the label that he can't do what he does without your musical creativity. "We got here together. Sign us together." They sign 4-5 people at a time when it comes to rock bands. Why not rappers and their producers/beatmakers, too?

Of course, in this world, the label can tell you to go kick rocks with that idea. They can tell the artist that they'd unlock his true potential with a roster of 'critically acclaimed' producers. But like others said, if your music is that good to get the guy signed in the first place, they might also take a look at you. Good luck tho.

Last edited:
Take dj mustard and yg for example
or mike will and future
if your good you'll stick around

Back