I give you these TEN "NEWBIE" COMMANDMENTS

When I first started making music, the advice I got from my peers was, "if you can't do it, don't worry about it". Worst. Advice. Ever. I would have an idea in my head and no clue how to go about expressing it in sound, and the answer was always, "you're overthinking it, man", "don't worry about it" or "just try something else". No one ever encouraged me to learn how to figure this music stuff out, like how to play an instrument, train my ears and learn theory. The advice from my peers was, "if you know it-use it, if not-don't sweat it". Some of my peers gave this advice because they could only engage others from the level they're at-better to keep your peers ignorant for fear they might surpass you. I see this same shit here and on other forums.
If you have an idea in your head, why shouldn't you learn whatever is necessary to express it?

Last edited:
which has been my position from day one here at fp - learn what you must to do what you couldn't do before - It is why I have always answered questions from those who want to know the why, even when others were saying you don't need to know that

I'm actually chuckling about someone (who was made a vip member because of their placements) who used to rail against the need to know music theory and mixing theory - they have suddenly realised that they were wrong and are starting to talk up the benefits of learning music theory; i.e. how it has made doing some things much easier than it was before, who-da thunk it huh?

Last edited:
which has been my position from day here at fp - learn what you must to do what you couldn't do before - It is why I have always answered questions from those who want to know the why, even when others were saying you don't need to know that

I'm actually chuckling about someone (who was made a vip member because of their placements) who used to rail against the need to know music theory and mixing theory - they have suddenly realised that they were wrong and are starting to talk up the benefits of learning music theory; i.e. how it has made doing some things much easier than it was before, who-da thunk it huh?

I started learning music theory recently. Then it made me throw out using samples all together. Changed everything I knew about beat making.

thanks man I listened to your trap song you released 4 months ago after reading this. That poster is mainly true. Most of the times it's being lazy and not believing in ourselves.

Really nice stuff. I just started, created my first song, I am pretty happy with it, even though it might not be that good. I will improve, wont quit and i wont regred it a few years. Thank you for this, keeps me motivated....

Back