How to make your drops fuller?

BTMM

Born To Make Music
Hi Guys,

I've been working on a song and I'm pretty much finished.

The only issue at this point is for some weird reason, the drop sounds so dull in the beginning but awesome at the second part.

I think it has something to do with my side chaining settings perhaps? I doubt it though . . .

The first part of the drop doesn't have these 'hey, hey' vocals. They kick in with the second part of the drop and it's PERFECT! U can hear the kick and it just comes out awesome.

The BUS 3 is the Kick and every instrument / sound is going through BUS 3 (Logic Pro).

Anyways, any tips on making fuller drops anyways?

Oh it was my fault.

I accidentally took the filler claps out from the first part of the drop.

That was it.

It would be nice to learn more ways of making a fuller drop.

If anyone here has any experience or specific resources, that would be great.

thanks!

Oh it was my fault.

I accidentally took the filler claps out from the first part of the drop.

That was it.

It would be nice to learn more ways of making a fuller drop.

If anyone here has any experience or specific resources, that would be great.

thanks!

EQ man, you have to EQ it. And when you cannot EQ it anymore, then you move on to multiband/dynamic EQ. And then when you cannot work on that anymore you move on to saturation. If you're not satisfied still, then you can start modifying the original frequencies, maybe add some pitch shifting to it, maybe add in some samples in parallel, maybe some modulation type effect, maybe some stereo enhancing effect, maybe adding in some reverb with the lows boosted, maybe frequency match it to some favorite drop of yours. If this still does not work out, then it's time to start modifying other frequencies in the mix. Whatever that does the job is good enough. But it's important that you really use your effects to max before you start compromising the surrounding frequencies because else your whole mix is going to end up being a big compromise without any really good sounding elements in it, a single effect can only do some of it, but when you work on those effects up to their limits, magic happens...

Do this in conjunction with a great monitoring process too, have a number of references available for A/B...

Last edited:
Back