How to make a perfect bassline?

fruityhero

Whats up guys!

I got some questions about the lower part of a track, the bass/bassline.
How can I make a good one which sounds powerful and full in the spectrum? Is there anything I should watch out while making bass lines? How do you layer them? Should I separate sub bass layers with middle bass layers? Can I just make a bassline with lower notes of a lead? Should I be afraid when my bass layers contain higher frequency like treble and do you got any last tips and tricks for bass lines etc..?

It would help me a lot with my productions if you help me!

Thx guys !

Whats up guys!

How can I make a good one which sounds powerful and full in the spectrum? Is there anything I should watch out while making bass lines? How do you layer them? Should I separate sub bass layers with middle bass layers? Can I just make a bassline with lower notes of a lead? Should I be afraid when my bass layers contain higher frequency like treble and do you got any last tips and tricks for bass lines etc..?

Thx guys !

Hello fruityhero, if you are talking about the bass in house and trance, here's how I do it :
1. Pick a sub bass and place it like it is shown in the picture (in syncopation with the kick) and cutoff all the frequencies above 200hz so that it wont mess up the mid and high frequencies.
View attachment 44039
2. Then the basslines : I generally like to layer around 3 to 4 basslines with slight variations in them. And I also automate cutoff of them to get a nice feel and variations. Look at the picture. In this track, I used same pattern. And it is absolutely fine to have high frequencies in your basslines. The basslines should not interfere the kick and the sub, so cutoff all the frequencies below 200hz to 250hz range. And dont forget to sidechain the basslines with the kick!
blines.jpg

That's it, Hit the thanks button if it was useful. If you want to checkout the track I just showed, check my soundcloud profile for the track 'Untitled wip'. I'm unable to post the link here for some reason. It's not mastered. I'm still working on the melody.
Checkout the how the sub and basslines came out. If you have any advice for me or you need any help, feel free to PM me.
Hope I helped :cheers:

I never use more than 1 sound in my bassline
There are 2 kind of bassline:

1.The one that only give the root of each chord - if you play piano or guitar this would be the first letter of the chord you're playing
Sync it with the kick

2.Leading bassline that has it's own life, you can pretty much go crazy here with writing a unique bassline but it would have to stay more minimal with the other instruments as long as it plays lead parts, the other instruments should support it and not the other way around

Whats up guys!

Thx guys !

If you followed the method I told you, you could get a bassline like this : https://soundcloud.com/rarora/rrr

Back