How to get this sound?

RonTheDon

What type of instruments, VSTs should I use to create super hard rap songs? Suburban white kid who is obsessed with ratchet beats like:

How do I get the same sound? How would you describe this genre of rap? What instruments are playing?

Am I best off trying to replicate this or does it require a lot of mixing, music theory, experience or is it a basic beat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, really?? You need to do your homework. Understand oscillators and how to create sounds. Look up sound design. Everyone else researches these things and learns, you need to do the same to learn.

did you read what he asked? - it was not about how do I program the sounds but how do I identify and use the same structure and similar instruments/sounds, do I need theory, do I need to learn other things as well.....

this sounds like a modified trap style of chord progression: instead of iii-IV, we hear viib5-I in this case we would usually expect to hear Gm (G-Bb-D) - Ab (Ab-C-Eb), instead we hear Gdim (G-Bb-Db) - Ab (Ab-C-Eb), creating that sense of dread and movement

sounds like standard rock style drum sounds being used in standard trap stylings

this has the sound of instruments normally found in reason (I can hear them as presets that I have messed about with in the past) standard samples used by redrum or dr octorex

bass has elements of bowed string bass, but obviously synthesised, so saw wave with slow attack, slow release, moderate decay and sustain, filter set to about 30%, no resonance - sounds like a subtractor patch to me

the intro synth is similar but a little more complex and sound like a thor patch

structurally interesting as it does not start with the beat, masking far more difficult to nail down in terms of tempo or movement to begin with

did you read what he asked? - it was not about how do I program the sounds but how do I identify and use the same structure and similar instruments/sounds, do I need theory, do I need to learn other things as well.....
Yes, I read what he asked... he asked what type of vsts should I use to make this type of beat...
Bandcoach, if you know your stuff, you know any type of synth can make almost any type of sound. Therefore, he isnt asking the right question. He is looking for a shortcut to ways that he needs to research and learn on his own.

He didnt ask about theory and he didnt ask about any other things. I gave him an answer of what he should be studying so he can do it on his own. Just like everybody else has to. He needs to learn it on his own and make it his own, thats what we as musicians do.

You give him answers in which I told him to look up... He isnt going to learn from you sitting here writing to him. Does he know what a saw wave is? Does he know what attack is and release and sustain? If not, your talking to the wind...

Ronthedon, to learn these things... Visit youtube and looks up ADSR or Dubspot. These guys can help you get on your way knowing and learning what you need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I get the same sound? How would you describe this genre of rap? What instruments are playing?

Am I best off trying to replicate this or does it require a lot of mixing, music theory, experience or is it a basic beat?

Yes, I read what he asked... he asked what type of vsts should I use to make this type of beat...
Bandcoach, if you know your stuff, you know any type of synth can make almost any type of sound. Therefore, he isnt asking the right question. He is looking for a shortcut to ways that he needs to research and learn on his own.

He didnt ask about theory and he didnt ask about any other things.

you sure about that?

I gave him an answer of what he should be studying so he can do it on his own. Just like everybody else has to. He needs to learn it on his own and make it his own, thats what we as musicians do.

I say to you again that you are imposing the way that you like to do these things on other people

- you do not know where he is at in his learning cycle and it is foolish of you to assert that he needs to go away and not ask questions of those who do know

You give him answers in which I told him to look up... He isnt going to learn from you sitting here writing to him. Does he know what a saw wave is? Does he know what attack is and release and sustain? If not, your talking to the wind...

at the point that he confronts stuff he does not know he has the option to ask another question or to look it up - your assertion here suggests that he is impotent in this regard, which is not a true reflection of most peoples realities

best place to learn these things (as in synthesis techniques) is

Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Analog Synthesizer Programming

Synth Secrets: Links to All Parts

Tutorials – Propellerhead Software

and similar locations including maybe soundmagus' site (he is a member here at fp - posted some updates about it today) and syntorial

you sure about that?

I say to you again that you are imposing the way that you like to do these things on other people

- you do not know where he is at in his learning cycle and it is foolish of you to assert that he needs to go away and not ask questions of those who do know

at the point that he confronts stuff he does not know he has the option to ask another question or to look it up - your assertion here suggests that he is impotent in this regard, which is not a true reflection of most peoples realities

best place to learn these things (as in synthesis techniques) is

Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook: Analog Synthesizer Programming

Synth Secrets: Links to All Parts

Tutorials – Propellerhead Software

and similar locations including maybe soundmagus' site (he is a member here at fp - posted some updates about it today) and syntorial
Did you just put all that in there at the bottom? You did edit it at 1:06... I didn't see that there before...

Yeah, I'm assuming he is an amature, just like the rest of us... Lol.

Your telling me by someone's questions, you can't tell what they may or may not understand?

You need to calm down. I told him to do his research and I even pointed out where he can research. There is nothin wrong with that. You want to give him an in depth answer, fine. But I also have him good options to learn if he wanted to.
Your trying to paint a picture of me that jus is incorrect.

Are you going to edit and delete this post as well?

you need to get your eyes checked

the edit was done yesterday at 4:06 pm to fix the video link - I don't like going off-site to look at videos and a lot of folks include links that end up being rendered as urls instead of embedded vids

"Last edited by bandcoach; 1 Day Ago at 04:06 PM. Reason: fixed video link"

ps no-one can change the timestamps on posts and edits except the techs and they would not do that for me or anyone else

Last edited:
Last edited by bandcoach; 1 Day Ago at 01:06 AM. Reason: fixed video link

so what is your time zone - by my reckoning that was 24 hours, 35 minutes ago, which should also be yours

somewhere around Chicago or USA:CDT is my guess

your first post was only some 13 hours ago..... so all content was present when you replied

Last edited:
I don't think I need my eyes checked... Honestly though, I have spent more time arguing with you than actually spending good time on this site.

My bad for the bump, I understand the site more now and how to get my stuff heard, but besides that, you have been flat out on my PM about everything...

I have never had any moderator anywhere on my pm as much a you. It's not even any other moderator... Just you! Maybe it's bc you don't like ppl calling you out when your trying to make other people feel stupid for helping on another thread? Then you go and erase that entire conversation and pm me telling me I don't have the right to say certain things bc I'm not a moderator???
Kind of fishy no?
Like I said, erase this too and go ahead and get an admin involved bc how much you come at me just isn't warranted. I'll go to an admin myself. No worries.

Back