***How To Get A Placement***

Kaminota said:
I'm a victim of circumstances .... plus what are the chances that I'll overcome my situation or circumstances. Cats need to learn how to make due..... You'll be a better person for it.

Wow, you transitioned well into what I want to write about.

If y'all really want placement. You can't make excucess for yourself. I hear a lot of cats cry about how they don't got this and that and then decide they give up after spending years in trying to get into the industry. People can come with statistic and factual bits of information. But at the end of the day it's... the dreamers fault that their dreams don't come true at the end of the day.

Kam said it "make due with what you have and try to progress in the most critical way possible.":cheers:

Legal Dollaz said:
The Performance Rights Act.

Up until this point commercial radio was exempt from paying a performance royalty to the artists they played on their station (writers only - ASCAP/BMI) despite other formats such as satellite and internet radio are forced to. The common notion was that commercial radio was a free promotional tool vital to the success of a record but that was all good until people stopped purchasing albums so the labels want a piece of that ass just like they're taking a piece from the artists in the form of the 360 deal. Radio on the other hand is also suffering from the downturn in advertisement dollars (WHERE YOUR PERFORMANCE PUBLISHING MONEY COMES FROM!!!!!) and they claim the royalty tax is the blow that might push them over the financial edge.

Label/Artist side - http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=1184220
Radio side - http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=1208152

This is the battle to keep track of because if the act goes through you might witness a real paradigm change in the commercial radio side because the radio stations may start to look to support more LOCAL INDEPENDENT acts and accelerate the de-centralization of the music industry.

Since producers/writers can't go on the road and make tour money (unless they are the artist as well) and the mechanical royalties are drying up because album sales are tanking the final frontier is commerical radio. Pay attention, keep up with the latest and stay tuned
trans.gif

wouldn't radio have the same royalty expenses to indie labels as they do majors? not sure why the shift to indie would be preferred.

Jackpot ProductionZ said:
I posted this in another thread but I don't think it will get any real recognition so I'll re-post it here. Now keep in mind....there's hundeds of ways to get a placement. Sometimes it may take a long time and sometimes it is very quick, sometimes it may be 6-9 months before you get another placement once you've placed, others it could take a few years. Politics & relationships play a big factor as well.......

All of you anti-industry cats who think you're above the system might as well quit today and not even waste your life chasing something you fundamentally aren't even prepared to work for......

I'm glad someone else said this. I'm tired of people acting like they don't need the industry. I mean if you wanna do your own thing that's fine, but good luck getting huge exposure, b/c at some point you will have to cross paths with the mjaors if you really want to do any business.

Good luck getting radio spins, video spins, etc if you're so anti-establishment.

mistaox said:
This has to be one of the best threads in FP history.

Seriously, I float the boards alot and for years (obviously don't post much) but I was gonna say the exact thing. I was reading through page to page and waiting for some hating or off topic **** but except for a few hiccups things stayed positive and on track.

Big ups to everybody who dropped knowledge and contributed. This thread is the best look FP has gotten in a strong minute.

was told i should post this in here

This video is gospel for so many reasons. Every "so called" rap beat producer should watch this and read in between the lines.

I've learned in this game the ego's are up and the track records are down. When those 2 are reversed, it'll b better for everybody.

Learn 2 learn.

Drumma basically said, MAKE HOT MUSIC AND PUT THAT SHIT OUT!! GET YOUR MUSIC IN THE EARS OF EVERYONE YOU CAN!! DON'T WAIT FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO SIGN YOU, PUT YOUR OWN MUSIC OUT THERE!!

Maybe people will listen now that it's coming from Drumma Boy, someone who they respect, rather than from some guy on FP.

again I did it

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 AM ----------

In the last 4 years, this is what I’ve picked up.

So, lets see what we got here:

1. Don't quite you day job
2. Don’t be lazy. (Overcome what ever obstacle that may slowdown progress in your production.
3. Make and complete Unique material
4. Network (talk to people that have the same interest and present you material)

Follow the 3 Ps … Progression Promotion and Production… and you can get placement.

But you got to have good material and you got to put yourself out there so people can be introduced to the material… no matter if this is thru the internet or in person in a club or a BMI awards party…. Got to promote the product …..

'Kaminota' pointed me towards this thread after seeing that a posting I had left had the a similar title- thank you. I did learn some things here but I guess I'm looking for something like a "BeatMaker/Producer starter kit" - like after you've created the music what are the very next, most important, steps to take? Copyright registration? ASCAP Title registration? Is a publishing deal something a newbie can obtain or even needs to obtain? How do you even seek a publishing deal? I think that most Americans are aware that in industry in general (not just entertainment) you are not likely to make it as a 'one trick pony' unless, maybe if, that trick is truly unique and what the people want (at the moment).
I found this somewhat informative but mostly I was/am disappointed by the discouraging tone despite the advice. I've joined up with this site because I admit that I don't know what steps I need to take- I was hoping that it would be a place that would help me get rid of that not just remind me of it; maybe I haven't found the right thread- maybe it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
What I would do is make a bunch of beats 50 to 100 or so and copyright them. Then after figure out how you want to market yourself... You can promote online and in your hood... you can go to concerts and hand a beat disc to your favorite rapper or whatever. As far as publishing. I'm no expert. But I do have my own publishing with BMI it's call TORODE MUSIC GROUP... But it cost money for that and you have to have a LLC if I'm not mistaken...

Or you can get an artist and build your own brand using the same technique above...

Last edited:
As far as publishing. I'm no expert. But I do have my own publishing with BMI it's call TORODE MUSIC GROUP... But it cost money for that and you have to have a LLC if I'm not mistaken...
If you apply to ASCAP/BMI as a publishing company, yah you may need to register the biz name, get an LLC etc, but if you apply as an artist you don't need that.

From what I remember when I was trying to sort out the PRO coordination between SOCAN in Canada and ASCAP anyway.

I can't stress this registration enough. This is where any performance/publishing royalties get paid out. Registering your songs/beats is just one less step to worry about when you're trying to get placements with artists or tv/film.

Are the days of the demo dead?
I mean - After I've created a good collection of shopable instrumentals should I be sending out CDs to publishing companies?
Is a publishing deal something you seek or do the publishers seek you- I ask because people seem to get approached with publishing deal offers after major placement(s) whereas I thought major placement(s) became possible through a publishing deal.

Basically I have the music and the knowledge of the need to get the registration(s) taken care of - what I don't know is how to get find the opportunity to get the 'deal'.
I've worked for free with artists to build buzz- but tis' time I learned a different way.

Publishing usually comes after you when they feel like you have a lot of music that they can bank on through licensing. At least that's how it always seems. Be aware that BMI and ASCAP are PRO "Performance Rights Organiztions" They collect or track monies..... They are not Publishing Companies.... [I don't know if that was made clear enough]

I created my own publishing company cause I was starting my own production company. I figured if I worked with some good artist, we could sell some music to TV or Film and I would not have to deal with placement services who like to get a % for helping you to get on. It's all about relationships. It's fairly easy with a good product and the gift of gabb. I'm over simplifying.

I'm telling you. What you need to do is make music. A lot of it. Image your a store. You want to be the SuperWalmart or maybe Cost Co of beats. Once you get that product up copyright the beats in bulk and make 2 back ups of all the files that contain any information involved in the creation of the music. Then shop the beats via the internet of personal relatonships or networking. You can give beats away on a non exclusive deal... sell exclusive or non... you got to be a business minded dude and figure out what is best for you and people you deal with. You can send your beats to Dj or Artist or Radio Personalities. You most solicit you music and if it's any good... You will get calls. Sooner are later you will get a break.

There many ways to break. And you are gonna have to hustle or know someone to get up with a good publishing company. Eminem was way into his career when he got his nice nice nice publishing deal. Not saying he wasn't getting good deals already. But the fact that he was getting crazy publishing forced universal to make him a nice offer.

The idea is to attract attention .... there is no guideline. That's why I support this thread. Because kids come in here and want a book to becoming successful. And there isn't one. You are gonna hustle and get into some good relationships or become popular some how. No matter how little ... it will help.

Check this scenario:

You give a beat to a local film maker for free. The film he makes becomes a local critical success and a bigger film company want to distribute it on a nation level. You got credited in the film. So when people see it ... They're like ...Damn I like that beat. They decided to look you up and find your Myspace (LOL). They give you all the backstory and tell you they want to license a beat off your Soundclick (LOL)... After that the cycle can repeat over and over again.

There are so many ways to break in... All you need to do is follow the rules of supply and demand. It's good you are doing things for free cause those artist may blow up and they will remember you and you help. You never know.

You need the key to sucess ....

Back