How to find the key of a song???

maximedupre

So I've been trying to reproduce the melody of that song at 42 seconds: Siméon - Pablo VIP [FREE DL] - YouTube

It's a pretty simple melody, but I've been trying to reproduce it for like 3 hours with no success. The first step was to find the key or scale of the song. I had no idea how to do that, so I downloaded a KeyFinder application that told me the song was in Gbm.

Now I'm wondering if it's really in Gbm, because I've been playing with the notes of this scale for way too long to have no result. Either the song is not in this scale, either I'm having some real earing issue!

I've come to something close to the melody, when I play the original melody and my midi melody at the same time, but I think it's only close because the original melody is over powering mine, because when I play my midi melody, it does not sound like the original at all.

So....how do I find the scale of a song lol.

Gbm = F#m - I have verified for myself that the main chord is either one of these.....

in either case it depends entirely on which version of this minor scale you are trying to use

some pointers: the second main bass note is G#/Ab, so we may be using the natural (Aeolian) minor, the harmonic minor, melodic minor or the dorian minor mode

Aeolian MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Ebb-Fb-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E-F#
Dorian MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Eb-Fb-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E-F#
Harmonic MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Ebb-F-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E#-F#
Melodic MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Eb-F-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E#-F#

Gbm = F#m - I have verified for myself that the main chord is either one of these.....

in either case it depends entirely on which version of this minor scale you are trying to use

some pointers: the second main bass note is G#/Ab, so we may be using the natural (Aeolian) minor, the harmonic minor, melodic minor or the dorian minor mode

Aeolian MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Ebb-Fb-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E-F#
Dorian MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Eb-Fb-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E-F#
Harmonic MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Ebb-F-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E#-F#
Melodic MinorGb-Ab-Bbb-Cb-Db-Eb-F-GbF#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E#-F#

Wow I found out I was transposing this midi input, this is why it wasn't working. Thank you for this table, the song is in natural minor!

Back