How much of a difference does the audio interface make?

notoriousben15

im on the lowest of low budgets. Ive been scoping out studio monitors for a while, and now im finding out that i also need to purchase an audio interface. i was only trying to spend like $200-$250, but when i went to guitar center today, the dude told me that decent monitors are gonna be about $300, and a tascam audio interface is gonna run another $150 at least.

but would something like a "Tascam Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio" suffice?
(i tried to post the link but the site wont let me)

its the cheapest audio interface i could find. Obviously for professionals, something like this isnt gonna cut it. But for my home studio hobbies, can i get by with this? How much of a difference does a nicer one make?

There's a lot of different factors in an interface which might make it nicer, so there's no easy answer to that - but suffice to say, in this low price category there's not gonna be that much difference even if you double your budget. There is no "Tascam Lexicon Alpha" though - Tascam makes its own line of interfaces, and Lexicon Alpha is, well, Lexicon's budget interface. But yeah, you'll get by in any case.

get a set of KRK monitors about 200 a peice. Tascam is garbage.. dont cheat yourself for a few bucks

Back