how much do local rappers make per gig??

how do you know if you have a following?

[In best Jeff Foxworthy voice]

- If people hear your announcment to the stage and take it as intermission and all go outside you might have no following.

- If you find yourself on one of those bills where the club makes you sell your own tickets to get on the stage, you might have no following.

- if the main people you tell about your upcoming show are friends and family you might have no following

- if when telling people about your show or handing out flyers you use the guilt trip ass line of "come out and support" you may in fact have no following.

- if you ever to do a call and response between songs and NO ONE RESPONSE you might have no following.

- if your on one of those huge mushed together hip hop bills and you never get a chance to go one, and not one person in the audience is upset or says anything about you not going on, then you my friend have no following.

[F this aint directed at you. and YES i have seen all these things happen lol]

its gonna take a great PERFORMANCE to change their mind

if you're a NO NAME, and you're on stage w/ a bunch of other GUYS, your "performance" HARDLY matters...NOBODIES need BACKUP DANCERS - NOBODIES need POLITICS...if you don't got neither of those, then your PERFORMANCE is IRRELEVANT.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

bring 60 - 100 people

if you're a NOBODY, 60 - 100 people ain't even worried about you...you'll be lucky to pull 6 - 10...

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

the hardest thing to do though is admit to yourself that people arent gonna like you just for ur songs, you need gimmicky shit

DAMN this game is FAKE is fukc...

no no no no and no.

you don't need a gimmick, you don't need politics (All those things can help, but you don't NEED any of that crap). i have seen openers come out and litterally steal shows from the top biller. I have seen people have to step their game up because the opener just wrecked the stage!

entertainment value, you need to ENTERTAIN

these days, you need SHOCK value, POLITICS, and / or a GIMMICK...all three are CORNY as hell

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

no no no no and no.

you don't need a gimmick, you don't need politics (All those things can help, but you don't NEED any of that crap). i have seen openers come out and litterally steal shows from the top biller. I have seen people have to step their game up because the opener just wrecked the stage!

i'm not talking about LOCAL "success"...

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

even though that's ON TOPIC.

POLITICS effect LOCAL and NATIONAL "success"...PERIOD...so let's not act like politics have NOTHING EVER to do w/ LOCAL music

politics CAN affect success, yes.
but lets not turn that into "politics are the only way anyone ever makes it" thats putting in a built in excuse.
you can definently get around it. is it more work, yes. is unfair yes. but you can definently get around it.

It all depends on how much that rapper is worth to his local market. If he isn't worth anything to the market they won't pay anything.

i have seen all these things happen

i'm already knowing...the thing about the SEATTLE scene is NOBODY OUTSIDE OF SEATTLE really cares about the "scene" out here...all they do is drop a few names and keep it pushing...and yes, i have seen these things happen

Hell some of cats IN the scene don't really care and are just in it to make money. they are the guys who sell the prospectors the pick axes and shovels to dig for the gold that aint really there.

lets not turn that into "politics are the only way anyone ever makes it"

politics should not be underemphasized (or OVERemphasized) or ignored...i'm just pointing that particular aspect out for the cats that have "done everything right" and still ain't hardly gone ANYWHERE.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

cats IN the scene don't really care and are just in it to make money

right...and THAT hurts the integrity of HIP HOP here AND abroad...

I got on stage and did a song in a Batman mask while my homie was Robin and spat some ridiculous shit the crowd went f--kin stupid. We did shit to stand out, and we even dissed a nigga that was booing me in a freestyle. The crowd again, went f--kin stupid. It seemed like the more shit that caught them off-guard, the more likely they would pay attention, because I just spat a regular ass verse afterward and they still went nuts. I can't lie, shock value can help out alot. The group after us had a hard ass time. One of them wore a mask and people thought they were biting so that didn't help lol

@F yeah your right on the balance of its influence. I would say the biggest problem with a lot of the local rappers in our scene that dont get on is that they put their money and energy in the wrong places outside of the actual music.

I got on stage and did a song in a Batman mask while my homie was Robin

gimmick???

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I can't lie, shock value can help out alot

exactly what i'm sayin'...

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

they put their money and energy in the wrong places outside of the actual music.

the thing about it is, is that your MUSIC ALONE won't get you far...if ANYWHERE

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

the biggest problem with a lot of the local rappers in our scene that dont get on is

is DEBATABLE...

Seattle needs a DIFFERENT ANGLE...music ain't gonna really be it...it'll be POLITICS before MUSIC; as far as Seattle is concerned...

$.02

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

politics first, w/ MUSIC as an AFTERTHOUGHT.

its a sliding scale, the better your music the more you can skimp on other things. cold hard fact is a lot of people have egos bigger than their skill set.

a biggie in his prime could get away with giving someone a rap unmixed tape of recordings with him spiting accapella.
a prime nas could get away with choosing a lot of the whack ass beats he picked

a 6/10 local rapper spitting the same tired cliches his favorite rapper did the previous summer, is gonna need more things going for him

Seattle needs a DIFFERENT ANGLE...music ain't gonna really be it...it'll be POLITICS before MUSIC; as far as Seattle is concerned...

I don't know much about Seattle politics but I do know their hiphop scene is way doper then the one here. Same with Oregon when I lived there. Miss that kind of scene. It's super dry where I live.

a lot of people have egos bigger than their skill set

RIGHT.

but where the FUKC does that EGO come from in the first place!?!?! cats must be on that WET or something

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

a 6/10 local rapper spitting the same tired cliches his favorite rapper did the previous summer, is gonna need more things going for him

right...it's just too bad SO MANY cats are on the RECYCLE RHYMES-type shit...

if cat's don't spit what the "COOL PEOPLE" are spitting, then they won't be considered COOL (on one hand) - then on the other hand, it's MONKEY-SEE / MONKEY-DO...

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Seattle politics

HONESTLY, Seattle politics are kinda funny because you can be "ON" out here w/ out even really being "ON"...if that makes any sense...

HONESTLY, Seattle politics are kinda funny because you can be "ON" out here w/ out even really being "ON"...if that makes any sense...

Like Macklemore?
Again not too familiar but from stuff I have seen online it seems like a lot of Seattle hip hop heads support eachother but I don't know the whole story behind it I just know names of artists from there I enjoy.

where you at now?

to explain the politics of seattle its nothing too spectacular or devastating as much as it is a "high walls" thing like any other business. there are ways around it once you get a head of steam. takes a little harder work but once you got it on your own them same dudes that wasn't feeling you are the main ones trying to collab.

people out here are clamoring for the "next big thing" and when something looks like it has a chance to blow everyone jockeys for position under the hoop to be a part of it so they can say they were "down from day one". when that person falls off or it becomes clear that they aren't gonna be the next nationally recognized artist from the town, the crowd moves on.

alot of the circle jerk references come from the fact that when said artist is shinning, any critisim that comes his/her way (even if warranted) gets met with a quick kind of "don't mess this up for us" kind of group retort which virtually shields the ascending artist from any kind of real vibe as to how their music is reaching people. they begin to think they can do no wrong and they lose touch. when they crash land they stuck wondering what happen.

Back