How many keys

rolandtrouble1

wassup fp fam quick question how should I determine how many keys I want on my midi keyboard? I really don't want any limitations but everyone is tellin me I dont need a full size controller. Give me some feedback pros and cons. Thanx

It's impossible to play a variety of chords on a 25 key setup. It's not even enough to play certain basslines. 37 keys is still not enough for chords but you can play basslines a little better. 49 keys is enough to play a lot of chords but if you need to play the same that you can play on a piano you still might need 61. 88 is full piano sized and is not really needed because most music doesn't go that high and that low.

I'd saw go with a 49 unless you find a good 61 key deal. they can get expensive.
I forgot to mention... with 49 or 61 definately, you can play bass in one hand and chords or melody in the other at the same time. This isn't really possible with fewer keys.

Last edited:
I always see "My Studio set up" videos and people always downgrade to a 49 key from an 88 or 61 key controller to save up space and they say they love it. I had a 25 key and felt really restricted, I would have to do the melody then go back and do the lead or vice versa

wassup fp fam quick question how should I determine how many keys I want on my midi keyboard? I really don't want any limitations but everyone is tellin me I dont need a full size controller. Give me some feedback pros and cons. Thanx

25 Keys: For in front of your computer monitor if you have another keyboard on the side. Good for auditioning sounds if you plan on clicking-in a majority of your notes. Good if you plan on doing DJing or mobile production (will often fit into any larger-sized backpack from Walmart along with a laptop). Excellent for producers who make sampled beats. You'll be struggling to alter your more musical ideas (chords + melodies) to fit within the confines of the keyboard.
25 keys require very specific circumstances:
2i8k51k.jpg

37 Keys:
The bare minimum number of keys for a producer who plans on laying down chords and melodies frequently. This is the absolute minimmumm "portable-keyboard-size" for a trained musician. Slightly less portable than the 25-key units, unless you get mini keys (i.e. Korg microKONTROL, Korg microKEY).
The smallest size musically playable, for people who need to fit a bunch of other stuff:
kuv001.jpg

49 Keys:
Almost the "standard" size electronic keyboard (see description for 61-key below). You will need to use the Octave Up/Down keys to start each instrument in the right general frequency range, but once you're in the right region, you shouldn't feel cramped/restricted. This is the size where the keyboard is no longer de-facto classified as "portable" anymore; at least not in the backpack sense. It's small enough that it won't take up too much space in a car, but too big to use on a bus/at school/etc.
A 49 key is a good compromise in size for people who want a good range, but have desks that are hurting for a bit of size:
l.jpg

61 Keys: This is the standard electronic keyboard size -- the same key range as most cheap Casio keyboards at Walmart. There's not much to say past that; we've all played Casio keyboards at least once. If you haven't, go demo one at your local toy store. Since I built my desk to accommodate the keyboard I wanted (and not the other way around, which would be buying a keyboard to accommodate the space I have), this is my size of choice.
A 61-key is better for those of us who have pull-out keyboard trays for our computer keyboard and mouse:
2n0tylt.jpg

88 Keys: For people who never want to touch Octave Up/Down buttons. Same number of keys on a Grand Piano. You can reach ridiculously high and low notes that you would rarely consider using in a track. The range is important for keyswitched instruments in Kontakt, as most Kontakt instruments assign the keyswitches to very, very low keys or very, very high keys (or both, like Electri6ity does). My brother's choice for keyboard size; he learned to play an actual piano, and he won't touch any smaller boards. Oh -- you'd better like hammer-action keys, because there's basically only one current 88-key unit out there with synth/semi-weighted keys out there (M-Audio Keystation 88es) and its keys suck. All of the other boards in this size have weighted keys with varying levels of quality and weight. Weighted keys make timing-based expression more difficult, and volume-based expression easier.
Most 88 key units will sit off to the side, on their own stands or desks:
CIMG1046.JPG

Long story short:
Go with with 49 or 61 keys unless you have a special situation. 49 is the small general-purpose size, 61 is the large general-purpose size.
Go with 25 or 37 keys if you have a laptop and portability is a concern, or if you have 10 or more other hardware devices that need to sit on your desktop.
Go with 88 keys if space is not an issue, you hate Octave keys, and you plan on using the keyswitches in keyswitched instruments.

Last edited:
get as many keys as you can afford if you want the simple answer. If I were starting out today I would probably get a full sized keyboard for the simple fact that I don't know what I need. Now a days I know I can do most of what I want to do on 49 keys.

I WANT an 88 key controller.... but I've been producing for the past 2 years with a 49 key and have not technically NEEDED more than that. I started with a 76 key yamaha psr keyboard that had midi and that was fun to play... but the 49 key replacement was cheaper. No point in buying 76 keys and not gettin 88.. usually they are close to same price.

They make 76 key controllers? I did not know that. I heard about a couple novations but nothing else besides 25, 49, 61, and 88 variety.

Back