How Long Does it Take to Become a Quality Producer?

Great Post.....

I agree anyone with dedication can become skilled at using production equipment, but it takes a creative mind to create hotness.

... and this is why I joined this site!!!

quality information... thanks to all you guys that contribute to the knowledge pool of this site.

8 years ago I gave up on production when I lost all my beats due to a system crash ... i couldn't get back into producing until I stumbled onto this site (a lot has changed since then)...

so far my beats (though I'm still in "learning" mode) already sound phatter than ever before.

hopefully I can contribute back such quality information over time.

"well, if it took that dude 5 years, then im going to be a pro producer when i hit 21, coz im 16 now..."

you cant really put a time on it...

im gon' give myself 3 years, and if i aint goin nowhere, ima accept that , but i know i will be.

(any chance of getting that book in the UK?)

safe.

Hey Sa'id....

Great post. (I've been anxiously checking my mail for my order of the BeatTips Manual, I'm hoping tomarrow).

Anyhow, as much as I would like to be commercially successful in production/recording, the sanity I maintain and the hope I recieve from pursuing this is worth all the time and money I spend. Fact is, I am not entirely happy in my cubicle as an office worker. When I go to bed at night, I think about the slight possibility of spending my days making music, and that itself is worth it. Comparatively, this is cheap therapy.

/michael

Great post!!!! I'm getting my copy right after I post this.

I feel that it is a combination of creativity and tech knowledge. You can know all the tricks about equipment, but your beats can still be garbage.

Being 31 already, I hope it doesn't take long to realize my dreams. But I'm will to keep pluggin no matter how long it takes.

Happy beat making

DOC1680

slashMichael said:
Hey Sa'id....

Great post. (I've been anxiously checking my mail for my order of the BeatTips Manual, I'm hoping tomarrow).

Anyhow, as much as I would like to be commercially successful in production/recording, the sanity I maintain and the hope I recieve from pursuing this is worth all the time and money I spend. Fact is, I am not entirely happy in my cubicle as an office worker. When I go to bed at night, I think about the slight possibility of spending my days making music, and that itself is worth it. Comparatively, this is cheap therapy.

/michael

hey /michael... right now I'm in my cubicle waiting to go home and hit my mpd16 and reason... i EVEN quickly went home for lunch to experiment with eq'ing my bass.

"cheap therapy"... i know what you mean.

Last edited:
slashMichael and mr.barksdale...

Excellent points!
Producing can definitely be a relief (or escape).
That's why I believe that producing music professionally is a very reachable career goal.

"There are too many myths about making it as a Hip Hop-Rap producer.
Namely that it is extremely difficult to be successful!

If you examine the numbers, you can see what I mean.
Let's look at just one innovation: CD technology.

It's old news that CDs allow for much more data (audio) storage.
However, the one point that doesn't see a lot of discussion is: the impact of CD technology on Hip Hop-Rap Production.

Simple n' plain, CD technology has prompted more and more artists to increase the number of songs that they offer on their albums.
This had (still has) a tremendous effect on Hip Hop-Rap production.
See, more finished, completed songs, is actually the number one sign that more beats were (are) needed.
Hence, more production opportunities for newer producers.

Though there are many producers who consider themselves to be consistent workhorses of "hot" beats, the reality is that it can be rather challenging (to say the least) to maintain consistency from beat to beat...
For every 5 or so real nice beats that a producer may make, there's at least one garbage, throw-away beat.
Of course this ratio may increase with more advanced producers. However, there is a quality/poor quality ratio for every producer, believe that.

So what does this mean?
It means that there will ALWAYS be production work available for new producers.

See, in order to record more songs, artists have to choose more beats.
In order for artists to choose more beats, they have to hear more beats; it's that simple.

So for new producers, uncertainty about how to "get put on" often looms as a hangin' mystery.

But yo, it doesn't have to be.
Instead of wondering if your dream will happen, why not just connect (combine forces) with other producers in your predicament.
This type of pooling of information, resources and determination, can place you where you wanna' be, sooner than you think!

Production teams are not new to the Music Industry.
In fact, they have always flourished.
So one of the most viable ways of getting put on is putting yourself on, through partnerships with like-minded and like-talented people.
The more new producers develop together, the more quality production teams will emerge...
The more quality production teams:
The more quality Hip Hop-Rap Music."

The above exert was from the article, Production Teams: Methods for Achieving Quality Production Levels...In Half the Time, written by Sa'id for SUPERCHAMP Books.
Originally published in the May issue of SUPERCHAMP Magazine.

one

Sa'id
(917) 270-2005
www.superchampnyc.com

Back