How do you sample with a straight face?

idc about sampling, just dont claim its yours. I make all my shit from scratch, except some drum kits i bought/downloaded (of course).

Can you please tell me why you rotated the phase of your drums? If you say for stereo effect, you're doing it completely wrong

Last edited:
SMDH at people questioning the nobleness of sampling. It has been discussed to death by people who hold a lot more weight than any half assed "beat maker" on this site. You have no idea about the process of making a beat the good old fashioned sampling way. I got beats that you wouldnt even know were sampled. Its all a creative process. You think that there are any artsists, old or new who werent influenced by those before them?. You can look at any rock n roll tracvk from the 50's, 60s and 70's. They all borrowed riffs from each other and put there own stamp on it. Same as in any creative expression. There will always be influences, sub conscious or otherwise that make there mark on your psyche. Quentin Tarantino once said that there was not a single original idea in film becasue you are so influenced by what you watched before. And let me just flat out say...Lets Network, what right do you have to talk down on any production techniques when your beat in your sig is the wackest, corniest, synthesised bullshit I have EVER heard. Terrible drums, terrible sound. Terrible, terrible, terrible. I aint saying Im the greatest beat maker, Im still learning every day but I have the common decency not to judge someones method of working. Who the f*** are ANYONE on these boards to criticise someones method of making beats. If it works for you go for it. But if your gonna slag off the art of sampling, which is used, still, by the best producers in Hip-Hop, your shit better be real good, not wack as **** like yours.

Last edited:
SMDH at people questioning the nobleness of sampling. It has been discussed to death by people who hold a lot more weight than any half assed "beat maker" on this site. You have no idea about the process of making a beat the good old fashioned sampling way. I got beats that you wouldnt even know were sampled. Its all a creative process. You think that there are any artsists, old or new who werent influenced by those before them?. You can look at any rock n roll tracvk from the 50's, 60s and 70's. They all borrowed riffs from each other and put there own stamp on it. Same as in any creative expression. There will always be influences, sub conscious or otherwise that make there mark on your psyche. Quentin Tarantino once said that there was not a single original idea in film becasue you are so influenced by what you watched before. And let me just flat out say...Lets Network, what right do you have to talk down on any production techniques when your beat in your sig is the wackest, corniest, synthesised bullshit I have EVER heard. Terrible drums, terrible sound. Terrible, terrible, terrible. I aint saying Im the greatest beat maker, Im still learning every day but I have the common decency not to judge someones method of working. Who the f*** are ANYONE on these boards to criticise someones method of making beats. If it works for you go for it. But if your gonna slag off the art of sampling, which is used, still, by the best producers in Hip-Hop, your shit better be real good, not wack as **** like yours.
So does that mean if you sample from Let's Network AND from a "classic chart topper" and put the same beat to both. You did a better job on the chart topper? BTW no disrespect to Let's Network I just used what DJ thought was inferior. In other words, your beat has nothing to do with it. It's the quality of the sample you use.

So does that mean if you sample from Let's Network AND from a "classic chart topper" and put the same beat to both. You did a better job on the chart topper? BTW no disrespect to Let's Network I just used what DJ thought was inferior. In other words, your beat has nothing to do with it. It's the quality of the sample you use.

Ummm, whats the question. Dont really understand what you mean?

On a completely different topic, I'm noticing an intake of DJs/beat makers from South Wales on this site...

But, people who sample aren't talentless, there's nothing wrong with sampling. Hip Hops not synth based... You call your shit Hip Hop with all those synths? Those synths sound like John Witherspoon taking a shit...

I'mma close doors on yo b.tches.

Music "purposes" are many. There's one point where you want to make music to make money so if you're following current trends in hopes of capitalizing on the current sound - I don't think you're wrong.

Then there's another point where you make music because you want to express yourself and make the music "YOU" like... it's probably not what's IN right now but it can still sound good and please your inner creative fire because you're doing what "YOU" want to do / like to hear.

... even if I made a FIRE!!! sampled beat... I could never really be proud of it on the inside. I would feel like "lucky find... great"....

but if a check rolled in, I wouldn't give a @#%#$. I'd spend it.

Well it proves your ignorance when you say "lucky find". Most producers know EXACTLY the type of material they are looking for when they go digging. Certain record labels. Early Polish Jazz. Another reason for sampling is it is hard to find sounds of a lot of these analog instruments they had back in the day and even if they are on a VST they wouldnt sound authentic. F that, you want that crackly warm sound anyway. Jesus, how can dudes, without ONE beat to call pure fire talk down about sampling when the greats of the culture still use that method and something Pete Rock, Premo etc would probably NEVER release and maybe feel embarressed about would be the best beat you would create, EVER in your lifetime.

Pete Rock, Premo etc would probably NEVER release and maybe feel embarressed about would be the best beat you would create, EVER in your lifetime.

Premo used the same drums and drum pattern for 15 years. Mass Appeal was a 3 second loop.

Pete Rock looped long sections of records. Way too long to be considered creative. He took old records and put a heavy filter on the highs to muffle out the highs and then he just rocked his head behind his MPC and you got hypnotized.

I respect what they did for the era they were in and the HIP HOP equipment available to them... but... now there is Ableton LIVE, MPC's, REASON... if you were talented - you would be able to use these tools to do something other than block out sections of other records and slide them around on a grid. You wouldn't necessarily have to know how to play a keyboard but you should be able to express yourself and your emotions. Midi controllers cost $99.

I am the living embodiment of Hip Hop. You are the stale chewing gum under my shoe. Bow Down and kiss the ring.

Last edited:
Premo used the same drums and drum pattern for 15 years. Mass Appeal was a 3 second loop.

Pete Rock looped long sections of records. Way too long to be considered creative. He took old records and put a heavy filter on the highs to muffle out the highs and then he just rocked his head behind his MPC and you got hypnotized.

I respect what they did for the era they were in and the HIP HOP equipment available to them... but... now there is Ableton LIVE, MPC's, REASON... if you were talented - you would be able to use these tools to do something other than block out sections of other records and slide them around on a grid. You wouldn't necessarily have to know how to play a keyboard but you should be able to express yourself and your emotions. Midi controllers cost $99.

I am the living embodiment of Hip Hop. You are the stale chewing gum under my shoe. Bow Down and kiss the ring.

Bro. Seriously??...you talking all that smack with that absolute abysmal wack shit in your sig as your backup. Pleeeease.

Bro. Seriously??...you talking all that smack with that absolute abysmal wack shit in your sig as your backup. Pleeeease.

I created that wackness though. Therefore, I get to stand proud and tall about that wackness. I could've easily went "diggin'" and then start "flippin' and choppin' and slicin'" ... sounds like I'm cooking... and then proclaimed that I am awesome.

... but I would know better, the song was awesome before I mangled it.

You are the bug in the grill of my Cadillac. Bow Down and kiss the ring.

Whatever dude. You seriously need a reality check. And who cares if the stuff you do is made from original stock samples (snigger)...it still sounds like something Do or Die pissed out about 15 years ago. Hardly the future of Hip-Hop eh.

Whatever dude. You seriously need a reality check. And who cares if the stuff you do is made from original stock samples (snigger)...it still sounds like something Do or Die pissed out about 15 years ago. Hardly the future of Hip-Hop eh.

You're right... but I still made it. You listen to too much Trap, you have been Trap-tized in the name of Jeezy. Almost like Jesus but not quite.

You fail to understand that little detail. You put down the "sound" I create but stand up for the ancient tactics you use... lol.

Too bad it's not worth my time to listen to your music to offer a rebuttal.

I guess you'll "challenge" me to a battle next for telling the truth.

... and scrap all those "don't worry about the next man" cop outs, I speak on what I speak on.

You are the used toilet paper in my sani-flush. Bow Down and kiss the ring.

Last edited:
You're right... but I still made it. You listen to too much Trap, you have been Trap-tized in the name of Jeezy. Almost like Jesus but not quite.

You fail to understand that little detail. You put down the "sound" I create but stand up for the ancient tactics you use... lol.

Too bad it's not worth my time to listen to your music to offer a rebuttal.

Im from the UK...We dont listen to that trap shit over here. Im glad you made it though. Well done sir. hahahaha. This guy is a right prize turkey I see. You dont have the time to listen but have the time to respond. Makes sense. Anyway, enjoy all the spoils that success grants you. Later potata!

Im from the UK...We dont listen to that trap shit over here. Im glad you made it though. Well done sir. hahahaha. This guy is a right prize turkey I see. You dont have the time to listen but have the time to respond. Makes sense. Anyway, enjoy all the spoils that success grants you. Later potata!

LIVE 9 is coming out next year....

It'll let you rip a midi version of the records you want to sample.

That way you can't get sued and you can at least keep your charade of being talented going.

I'm not sure if they'll call it sampling but it should snag about 25,000 "talented" producers that will proclaim that taking a midi version of their dusty find will somehow translate into them being talented.

I'm buying it - upgrade $300. At least I'll be able to sleep at night for AT LEAST selecting the vst instrument that's used on the midi.

Oh, tell the UK to upgrade their slang... it's about as old as sampling it seems...

Dude called me a "right prize turkey".... I don't even know how to feel.

Last edited:
Bro, you wouldnt even know the type of shit I sample. I realise talking to you aint gonna go nowhere. Shit, you diss Premo and Pete Rock and talk about you have made it you prize tool. Thats the problem with the internet. No god damn quality control. Gives any deluded clown the oppurtunity to talk BS. Joker.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

And Lets Network, yes I do think that beat is wack. Synthesised, boring. The drums sound awkward as hell for the most part. Heard that shit a million and one times before. Thats an honest appraisal.

Back