How do you producers feel when.....?

lol assuming i use soundclick. the reason i ask this is because my granddad was telling me how back in his day everybody played instruments to make music and i just click stuff on the computer and i feel bad because I feel as if im not doing any work. like i am using steriouds

ok ill take you at your word and answer your question then.
in short, your not cheating. if that was the case then every producer that is not playing all of the instruments and singing all the songs is cheating because they are more than likely using keyboards with sounds in them or chopping up samples. your just doing something easier that ends up being a similar result. sounds smart to me.

what we are all doing ( i am a software user myself) is (in a small way mind you) trading simplicity for control when all we do is click though. you don't wanna put yourself in a rut and make yourself a one trick pony. mastery of your fl studio will make you 10X the producer over a guy that just bought an mpc 5000, a fantom G, and a digi003 rack but never read one page of a manual.
just try to aoid the "all i gotta do is" mentality and try to push yourself and you'll be fine.
there are a lot more programs out they're to feel guilty about in front of the more traditional musicians lol (don't get me started on the one that lets you change the dang notes of a recorded song, thats just unfair!"
sorry i snapped on you earlier bro, the post just looked suspicious.

It's all about how you use what you have.. I've made tracks on my ipod touch and got em placed

I'm probably gonna earn some hate from this, but I'm going to say how I feel anyway.

A beat "producer" is supposed to be a musician. Point and click, is NOT a musician. Its like using myspace's module's and re-arranging things and saying you're a web designer. You're not. You are simply not. You may have a good ear for what "sounds good" but that doesn't mean you're a musician. Be a REAL producer, not a beatsmith. Rick Ruben, perfect example of a dude he knows his place (and did damn well at it). FL is for dudes who can't, but want to, or for lazy bastards (the ones who make one or two simple loops, turn it into 3 16's and call it a day). I know there was someone on here saying that playing is easier than point and clicking, but in the end, it really isn't. Sure, if it only took 2-3 takes, sure, it'd be easier. But quality music goes through many variations, and many forms before finally settling on a final product.

What I hear from many, many FL users is they make "5-6 beats a day." I'm personally lucky to make 1 a week. Granted, I'll admit, I don't devote 8 hours a day to it. So, its about 1 beat for every 10-16 hours of work. Why? Because I actually go through and genuinely mix everything. Now, my beats are generally a bit more complex, so maybe I'm compared apples to oranges, but I do definitely look down on FL users. I don't care if they're making more money than me (okay, I do care a bit, I can't lie). But what kind of quality can you really have if you're slamming out 5-6 beats a day? And then the market is flooded with these hideous beats that are just balls. Balls man!

Now, the biggest reason why that is an issue, is because the more a market is flooded with crap, the more people will gravitate towards name brands. What does that mean? For every 10 beats you make, thats 2 more beats vibe sells, and 1 less beat the little guy who actually tries sells. Because people get tired of wading through the rivers and oceans of crap. FL created the pacific ocean of crap. Sure, its got hawaii in it. But it sure does take a long time to swim there...

Hate away. Hate. Away.

I feel inspired when click producers get placement its a good look, it shows that you can take the music from your mind and bring alive without touching a keyboard. If you play keys all day and cant get placements in the industry look at other places to sell them beats like china, there is enough money for everybody to get paid doing what they love its if you to get paid from it or ready for it money comes trust me. I can't complain all i could do is show love I wish all my fellow producers the best hope you all get to your destiny . One love

I'm probably gonna earn some hate from this, but I'm going to say how I feel anyway.

A beat "producer" is supposed to be a musician. Point and click, is NOT a musician. Its like using myspace's module's and re-arranging things and saying you're a web designer. You're not. You are simply not. You may have a good ear for what "sounds good" but that doesn't mean you're a musician. Be a REAL producer, not a beatsmith. Rick Ruben, perfect example of a dude he knows his place (and did damn well at it). FL is for dudes who can't, but want to, or for lazy bastards (the ones who make one or two simple loops, turn it into 3 16's and call it a day). I know there was someone on here saying that playing is easier than point and clicking, but in the end, it really isn't. Sure, if it only took 2-3 takes, sure, it'd be easier. But quality music goes through many variations, and many forms before finally settling on a final product.

What I hear from many, many FL users is they make "5-6 beats a day." I'm personally lucky to make 1 a week. Granted, I'll admit, I don't devote 8 hours a day to it. So, its about 1 beat for every 10-16 hours of work. Why? Because I actually go through and genuinely mix everything. Now, my beats are generally a bit more complex, so maybe I'm compared apples to oranges, but I do definitely look down on FL users. I don't care if they're making more money than me (okay, I do care a bit, I can't lie). But what kind of quality can you really have if you're slamming out 5-6 beats a day? And then the market is flooded with these hideous beats that are just balls. Balls man!

Now, the biggest reason why that is an issue, is because the more a market is flooded with crap, the more people will gravitate towards name brands. What does that mean? For every 10 beats you make, thats 2 more beats vibe sells, and 1 less beat the little guy who actually tries sells. Because people get tired of wading through the rivers and oceans of crap. FL created the pacific ocean of crap. Sure, its got hawaii in it. But it sure does take a long time to swim there...

Hate away. Hate. Away.

first off I'm not hating just pointing out why I personally think you;re you're wrong and why that was an ignorant post... Hip hop music is not supposed to be super complex music it has FOR THE MOST PART simple melodies that are catchy and let the artist really go off and do their thing.. and once you get really used to playing certain instruments and you hear the songs in your head before you play them and you have your own style it should only take you 2 or 3 takes to do like a 4 bar loop if not you need to practice more.. now if i was making classical music or writing a symphony maybe it would take more time but to make a Sine lead or a square lead or dirty south brass progression you better not be taking much more then 3 takes to record a part unless you're just making it up as you go...

"FL is for dudes who can't, but want to, or for lazy bastards (the ones who make one or two simple loops, turn it into 3 16's and call it a day)" thats just a stupid comment nuff said...

I do put 6 - 8 hours a day into music (not making beats the whole time I do marketing/promotion/networking in there too.. and I make about 1 beat a day sometimes I'll make two if I branch off from one beat into another... and I've used Logic, FL Studios, Pro Tools, Ableton, and Reason (not really but ive messed with it.) and I still find FL can do more and makes workflow faster than anything else just because of how fast it is to load sounds and VST's.. I dont understand why ppl putting out shitty music has anything to do with them using FL it has to do with them doing exactly like you said and making 5 beats a day... I could do that in Logic or FL... or on an mpc... or on a neko... anything the fact is if you're trying to make industry quality beats you shouldn't really be using too many stock sounds anyways so what DAW you're using really means nothing I use the exact same VST's and drum kits on my Mac and on my PC... I'm by no means trying to defend FL I'm saying it has nothing to do with what DAW you're using its the person using the DAW... just like in a race its not the car its the driver you can be in a ****in lambo racing me in my sunfire but if you dunno how to control a lambo when you get up on the throttle then you're ****ed and im gunna cruise past the lambo wrapped around a tree goin 120 in my sunfire

You see producers like lex luger that use fruity loops and just click notes using the basic sounds, but still gettin paid. But you got producers on youtube with all this equipment but not gettin placements yet? Do some of you older producers look down on people like him cuz thats all he does to make beats, rather then playing the piano or whatever?
i could give 3 and 1/4 of a f*cks less that hes getting placements. Props to him for finding a way to make money off of the music he likes to make. I dont like that kind of music or the rappers that rap on that stuff so Ill get my placements else where.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

true only reason i say that is it seems to be alot more trial and error when you're just clicking things in but i guess if you had a very good understanding of chords and knew exactly where everything should go it would be pretty quick.. and no matter how you cut it hitting record and playing a part is way faster then clicking in every note then adjusting the length and velocity even if it takes you 2 or 3 takes...

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

and thats why I always say 90% or like "most people" because theres always exceptions I gauruntee theres people out there who destroy tracks clicking them in and can figure out the melodies and chords on their computer keyboard no problem but I would say for most people the midi controller / keyboard route is going to be alot faster.. but saying that, I don't think you should be trying to make songs as fast as possible...
theres a cat named Mike who used to post here. Not often and not since like 05 but I still talk to him on aim from time to time anyway he makes some of the best r&b beats Ive ever heard in my life by pointing and clicking. He eventually got an Axiom 61 and he uses that for some shit but for the most part hes just comfy pointing and clicking now and hes still a dope producer.

In the words of Maino's manager "Let that man live".

Damn these Lex threads getting out of hand...you should stop worrying about how he makes his beats and worry about how he gets these beats to artists....that's where he's winning.

He said he hit Waka up on Myspace when Waka was a nobody. If that ain't writing in the sand, I don't know what to tell you homie.

Again. I'm going to say this. Someone using a canon rebel xti is going to think they're a pro. CHANCES ARE (statistically speaking), they're not. FL is the same. Everyone moves from defending the people, to defending the program. "Its a tool man." Yeah, you're right. Its a tool. And my "stupid comment" is painfully true. Painfully true. Enough said.

Again. I'm going to say this. Someone using a canon rebel xti is going to think they're a pro. CHANCES ARE (statistically speaking), they're not. FL is the same. Everyone moves from defending the people, to defending the program. "Its a tool man." Yeah, you're right. Its a tool. And my "stupid comment" is painfully true. Painfully true. Enough said.

Im not defending any program Im saying it makes absolutely no difference what program you use if you take the time to learn all the features of that program and don't take shortcuts you will make quality music.. your posts are dumb srry.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

In the words of Maino's manager "Let that man live".

Damn these Lex threads getting out of hand...you should stop worrying about how he makes his beats and worry about how he gets these beats to artists....that's where he's winning.

He said he hit Waka up on Myspace when Waka was a nobody. If that ain't writing in the sand, I don't know what to tell you homie.

real talk, this thread is stupid

Yeah i personally know a few FL producers that would make your headspin.

DJtoomp (one of my favs) uses reason for crying out loud.

FL's stigma really comes from the people that use it and promote it in a lazy fashion, not from any real shortcomings of the program.

Yeah, sure buddy. You're right. You can use any program to do exactly what the other programs use. That's why there are price differences in the applications. They're all the same. *thumbs up*

Yeah, sure buddy. You're right. You can use any program to do exactly what the other programs use. That's why there are price differences in the applications. They're all the same. *thumbs up*
your wasting your time its gonna go nowhere not sayin i disagree but the fanboys will not let u have this one...and for the record i use FL

What the ****? Ya'll are dumbasses... Most FL users (myself included) use keyboards, pads (mpd's mpc's), mixers, etc. in FL Studio to make their music. Who's dumbass idea was it that there's no hardware use in FL. IDK anybody who uses FL for serious production that ONLY clicks notes. That's nonexistent to me.

Human,

So you base your entire criteria on a good product on how much it cost?

then here
images

should be a synch since its $2000

go make me a masterpeice.
ill just use cheap ol' reason/recycle and well see who has an easier time chopping samples. going through presets to find the right sounds, tweaking, etc.

My argument is that there is nothing wrong structurally with Fl studio. your complaining is about the people/mentality of Fl users which i can agree with. but to say that the program can't do what X or Y can without stating an example is weak.

Last edited:
Yeah what the **** are you on human.. heres my only example that I can use from personal experience. Fruity Loops Producer Edition 9 costs 200$.. Logic Studio 9 cost me $500.. I used Logic for a month and realized I can do more for the type of music I do (mostly southern inspired/trap shit and RnB) with Fruity Loops.. you're right Logic has features that FL doesn't it has flex time and it also has a good slow down and spped up feature for doing tape stops n such but FL 9 comes with Imageline's Grossbeat which blows logics slow down speed up function out of the water and is flex time really worth an extra $300? You clearly have not been doing this very long

Cant hate on people who use software. Do what works best for you. Me personally, I tried to do the software thing & just never got comfortable to use it as my everyday starter. May try it again but only as a sixth releiver in my bullpen when Im getting blown out.

Yo anyone who see's this post hold me to it.. I'm never replying to a thread about fruity loops or an argument about which DAW is better or anything along these lines.. ever again.. i bet 40% of the threads on here mention something along those lines..

Back