how do you make a music video

• Thread starter theserenationstation
  • Start date
brother, you can find the info online. go to google and just type in some info you want to know and you will find it.

also do know you can not do this alone. you need a production crew to do it right. you cant be producer, director, DP, UPM, Gaffer,1st ac, 1st ad, Best boy, grip, cable wrangler.. you cant do those jobs all at once. find some dependable people and let them help you in your vision..

brother, you can find the info online. go to google and just type in some info you want to know and you will find it.

also do know you can not do this alone. you need a production crew to do it right. you cant be producer, director, DP, UPM, Gaffer,1st ac, 1st ad, Best boy, grip, cable wrangler.. you cant do those jobs all at once. find some dependable people and let them help you in your vision..

or just work ur a$$ off haha we shoot with a small crew of 2-3 but we stay busy on shoots .. its nice tho cus theres big advantages with a small crew like guerilla shooting or so in tune with another that we work super fast cus we already know each others thinking.

DemoReel
www.mediapeeps.com

when shooting w/ multiple cameramen, do each of you use the same model camera?

or do each of you have different models of cameras?

we use two cameras, a 5D markII and a T2i (550D) ... Both play there part .. and u cant tell the difference when using correct lighting. Of course for low light shots 5D spanks on the t2i but the t2i shoots at 60p and provides that Smooth smooth slo mo shots. So pre shooting we figure out what shots or scenes we want in slow mo (coming of a car, walking into a club etc.)

the lens is the most important piece to the entire camera!

imagine you have a brand new camera you just bought.. brand spanking new. cost you 10 grand. you get a super hott anamorphic lense you have been dying to use and you go and shoot all day. once you get back to review your footage you realize there was a thumbprint on the lens! so everything shot has this fuzzy look to it.. all because of that blasted thumb print.. nevermind you spent 10 grand on the camera.. the footage that came out of it is useless due to the debris on the lense...

my point is the lense is the 'eye' to your cameras imager (and in the case of a film camera, the film plane) so you better make good and dang sure you have the best glass for the scene.

some lenses are FAST, meaning that can produce an image with very little light and some are slower meaning they need more light to produce an acceptable image.

if you are shooting in low light you dont need a SLOW lense otherwise you will have your iris fully open and the shot would look dark, underexposed, blacks would be milky, no contrast. depth of field would be entirely off, etc etc... so you must match the lense to the scene.

cine lenses (like the primes mentioned earlier in another post) have more than one piece of glass in them. this is why sometimes you see lens flares on movies and tv shows.. sometimes its for the look and other times its not intentional.. but that is due to light reflecting off the glass inside the lens.

i have worked with the RED ONE camera for about 4 years now on different projects. and that camera, with all of its state of the art mumbo jumbo, is still at the mercy of the lense...

the RED ONE is basically a video camcorder, however once you put on Cine lenses it takes on a whole different look. thats why HDSLR's are now being used to shoot motion video... the imager is close to a 35mm film plane.. the canon 5D is close to a super 35 imager and the depth of field you can get with that is pretty amazing considering its just a still camera at heart...

id post some examples of what im talking about but i cant yet attach images to posts.. i usually lurk and dont post (been a member here since 2006...)

Last edited:
some lenses are FAST, meaning that can produce an image with very little light and some are slower meaning they need more light to produce an acceptable image

that's tight; i didn't know that...
:D

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

you must match the lense to the scene

very good info...EXPENSIVE, but good info

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

thats why HDSLR's are now being used to shoot motion video... the imager is close to a 35mm film plane

so you're saying it's better to shoot videos w/ a HDSLR than a HD video camera??

i would not say that.

what makes shooting with a film camera so nice is the size of the film plane and there fore you can manipulate the depth of field.

you have seen where the subject in the foreground is in focus but the background is out of focus right? that due to the size of the imager. also with film running at 24 FPS that gives the "suspended reality" look. these two things are why people shoot in "24P" and shoot with film lenses... to achieve that shallow depth of field.

now having said that there are several depth of field adapters out there that you can purchase for your camera. say you have a hd camcorder and you want to get that out of focus background, well you would get one of these depth of field adapters and mount a lense to it and that will give you the look the DSLRs can achieve.

nowadays one does not need to go out and buy tons of film gear to get the film look.. you can spend 500 bux on a camera body (canon, etc) and get some good old school canon or nikon (my favorite) lenses and bam you got the film look. then use your favorite editor of choice (final cut, Sony Vegas, avid) and you can further tweak your footage. so for about a grand - $1200.00 you can be up and running with a good decent HDSLR with a lens.

Last edited:
i have some things on my youtube page but a lot of work i have done i cant post on my youtube page (or have been told to take it down) due to copyright.

being in atlanta we see tons of music videos being shot here because labor is super cheap (well not me :D) and the tax incentives are like 30%.

but yeah some stuff i was able to sneak up is on youtube dot com slash marctronixx. i cant post links as my post count is low.

i operate steadicam and have done a lot of things, not just videos but indie movies, commercials, industrial's, corporate video, concerts, live to tape. lots of things..

Last edited:
sorry bro but i dont fool with the HDSLRs to even try to recommend. i have only flown a 5d on my Steadicam twice.

curios, i asked the guy who owned the 5D on the shoot and he stated to me he purchased it for about $540 dollars US. thats not including lense of course. i was impressed with the image but dang that sucker just looks silly on a Steadicam..

5D Mark II = $2k-3k with or without lens
7D = 1200-2k with or without lens
t2i = 800-1200 with or without lens

Thats the range u can expect to pay..
Dude if ur beginning t2i is F**kin Awesome .. Go to vimeo site and search t2i, check out the work from other peeps

depends on the look your after.

people are shooting videos on iphones and evos since they can capture 720P video. however the imager is super tiny so the resolution of a 2/3 inch imager is not there. also you wont get that nice Depth of Field (DoF) with those tiny imagers.

so if you want that larger than life film look, either go with a HDSLR or get a DV camera.. DVX100A and B basically revolutionized the indie market. then get a DoF adapter and you will get excellent images--depending on the glass (lense) you get.

so look at your budget first. that will determine what you need. personally i dont care to shoot moving images on a DSLR but there is a small but growing market for it with accessories costing more then the camera itself.

find someone who can write grants. they are call "grant writers" and they write proposals to secure grants. there's millions of free money in grants to be taken up. some corporations offer grants (the gov. has lots of grants) to the public and people submit for these all year long.

open up a small business. write a business plan, submit it and secure a small business loan.

the skys the limit bro. depends on how much effort you put into it.

prolly not i mean i cant say cus i dont really know of anything else out at those price ranges... Canon kinda changed the game haha i wouldnt completely say pro look but semi or almost haha with Great lighting and great lens and great framing/angles etc u can achieve that pro looks .

making it affordable to shoot videos at such high quality... i mean seriously the t2i is about $850 and well worth that and more. its like how the music game changed in the 2000s with affordable gear, now anyone can make music. Same goes for the video world.

Back