How do you listen to new tracks?

george.w.singer

When you all are listening to new tracks, do you skip around to see if you the song will hook you or not (like going straight to the middle of the song)? And if the song doesn't hook you immediately, do you just move onto a new track?

Trying to figure out if I'm the only one who do this :)

Actually I do exactly the same. I can sometime use just a couple of seconds on a track, and if it doesn't sound any good I usually just skip to the next track. :p

Last edited:
I actually do tend to do that. I'll skip around a track and if I like a few parts, I'll start from the beginning. I often do this if the beginning doesn't immediately hook me in.

With as much music as there is around today, it's hard to give every track a complete 100% listen. But I try my best to do that :)

It depends on the genre. For Electro/House I just skip to 1:00 where the intro has stopped (maybe I sometimes listen a little of the intro as well), and then I listen continuously through the break and the drop/chorus.
If I like it I jump to the next song since I know it will pretty often be the same after the 1st drop/chorus (I maybe just take a quick look at the other half of the track).

Otherwise for most styles I jump through the song, but I only jump small parts, so I don't start with jumping to the middle of the song for instance.
If I like it I give it a more full listen.

But if it's a more experimental style, or ambient, I give it the time and listen through at least half of the track at once.

Last edited:
I do a mix of what Ddream does. When I'm searching for new music on spotify, I always skip to some place in the track to see what it's all about, it's quite easy to tell if I like it or not judging by a few seconds. But when I review tracks I listen to the whole thing, usually a few times while writing.

I cant tell you how many songs I have 'skipped through' to get the idea of a song, thought I hated, then ended up loving after I listened to the whole thing. The only time I try out new music is when I am running or laying in bed and can listen to the whole thing.

I listen to the whole thing to make sure my opinion of the Track is Valid. I don't want to skip thru a part that would've been the game changer.

If I'm trying to take in new music I listen to the whole thing. There are def circumstances when I do this though

If the hook immediately catches me, I listen to the whole track. Sometimes, I would skip to the middle if the track doesn't sound too great.

Back