How do you integrate your hardware synth w/ your DAW?

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
I'm having some trouble.

I just bought a hardware synth (Roland JV 1010). It sounds great. I've got my midi working correctly. I run my keyboard into the interface, I run the MIDI back out of the interface to the synth, and route the audio into the line inputs of the interface. That works perfectly.

The only issue I'm trying to figure out is how to save my synth's performance settings so that the correct sounds load up when I open a session. I want it so that the same way my software synth's settings are saved, i'd like my hardware to operate the same way. I just can't figure out how the hell do to this. (I'm using Presonus Studio One). I'd love to have that control... but I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Any ideas? How do you guys operate?

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Oh dear god I figured it out!!!

For anybody wondering. Click on the button in the top left corner of the sequencer. That's the Inspector button. Open the tab a little more and you'll see a program button. Click that and choose the correct bank and patch number. AHHHHHHHHHH This makes me wanna buy every synth rack on the planet!!!!!!! LOL

EDIT: My bad I didn't see your update saying you figured this out. :D

You could send program changes from S1 automation tracks. Here is a thread a from the Presonus forum talking about it. Hope this helps.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/7057.page

Thanks man. I read that somewhere when I was researching the topic. I think it might have been the same thread lol. I haven't tried it yet, but I will tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Would you recommend the synth?
Absolutely. It only ran me $200 bucks and so far it's worth every penny. It's got a great breadth of sounds, great quality to them, and takes a lot of load off of the CPU. I feel like I could use my weak laptop again lol.

I now see why a lot of people stick with hardware. I'm not really an audiophile... if I were to do a blind test between hardware and software, i'd fail miserably. But honestly... this thing just feels better, having something tangible that I can manipulate. It sounds better than the software I have (at least to me... it could be due to excitement, but whatever.) Coupling hardware w/ the benefits of software... = WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I feel the same. I want a virus. Until then though I'll probably grab somethin cheaper I just want more hardware around me. I haven't upgraded my studio in over a year so it's gettin a lil stale over here.

EDIT: My bad I didn't see your update saying you figured this out. :D

You could send program changes from S1 automation tracks. Here is a thread a from the Presonus forum talking about it. Hope this helps.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/7057.page

Ahh man, i'm hittin a roadblock now. Okay... so I can't figure out how to save me performances so that when I load up a project, the correct sounds load up. S1's inspect seems to change the program, but not the correct bank. The only time I can change banks is when I physically go to a different bank on the rack.

Is this what the automation track is for? I'm a little lost right now.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

I thought I was going to be able to access every sound on the module just through changing the inspector's bank and program #s, but it doesn't look like it's working out that way.

---------- Post added 03-01-2011 at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-28-2011 at 08:19 PM ----------

Anybody have any ideas how to achieve this w/ the JV 1010? I'm running out of ideas lol, I think I might have to record the audio. :(

Does it still not switch when you press play if you setup the program change from an automation track? I'm curious on how this turns out. I will try it when I get home later.

Does it still not switch when you press play if you setup the program change from an automation track? I'm curious on how this turns out. I will try it when I get home later.

I haven't tried that yet. I'm going to try tonight.

Check your MSB/LSB settings, Roland uses MSB=87, LSB=64

Yeah... Thank you soooooooooo freakin much man. That was the exact answer. Took me a while to put all of the pieces together in my head but... it's working flawlessly now. Exactly how I wanted.

I looked up all of the codes in my JV's manual, I can now access every sound and have it ready to go. Thanks a lot for the help!!

Yeah... Thank you soooooooooo freakin much man. That was the exact answer. Took me a while to put all of the pieces together in my head but... it's working flawlessly now. Exactly how I wanted.

I looked up all of the codes in my JV's manual, I can now access every sound and have it ready to go. Thanks a lot for the help!!

No problem. It took me a while to figure it out on my own with using software as well as my MPC. Now as long as you save the file with those settings, than you should be able to use the patch list numbers that are in the manual.

Exactly. Everything is fully integrated and working flawlessly thanks to figuring out how to use the MSB and LSB numbers in the correct places in S1.

I'm a kid in a candy store right now.

I hope people find this thread when doing their search. I'm sure i'm not the first guy to ask this question... but there's very very little documentation on how to do this. At least my search results didn't yield too many details. Everything was too broad.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Just incase anybody is wonder... i'll be super clear. You have to do an automation track like P Casso was referring to.

In S1... create an automation track. Open an automation from your hardware's folder, choose CH1, and automate Program Change, Bank MSB, and Bank LSB. Refer to your manual for the correct numbers that correspond to the correct sound. Plug in the right numbers an PRESTO. If you're using the multi-timbral features, just do the same thing for each channel and have a corresponding instrument track set to that channel so u can play the sound.

Deadly simple in S1. (Unless ur like me and don't know what the hell ur doing! ha)

Now I just have to figure out if there's a way to route the audio to separate tracks lol. I think I might be pushing my luck here.

Quite often with software sequencers MIDI filters will be set by default to limit the kind of MIDI data that gets recorded or sent (to prevent data overcrowding) so you can save your patches by turning off the right filter before recording, once recorded you can turn the filter back on, the ultimate idea is to record a SysEx dump at the start of a MIDI track before the song starts just to load up the right patches with all the settings, I don't know how you initialize the dump from the JV-1010 as I don't think you have a button on the front like my JV-1080, so I would guess you would need a MIDI file that requests the dump from the JV-1010.

The JV-1010 did have a free editor called Sound Diver and if your sequencer does not have some kind of a JV-1010 editor (like a Cubase device panel etc) then you might be able to use Sound Diver to edit the JV-1010 and save the patches as MIDI files that you can drop into your sequencer.

I read about doing a SysEx dump. No clue how that really works. From what I read, it appears that the DAW initiates it (please stop me if i'm wrong). S1 doesn't do SysEx from the looks of it.

Before I figured out how to automate the programs to save my performances, I found a copy of Sound Diver actually. It's been extremely difficult to install on Windows 7 for me. I barely got it's VST version working, but it would only play the GM sound bank, and the latency was horrendous. So I stopped going down that path.

I'd be interested if anybody has gotten Sound Diver up and running. It would be nice to save new patches. But i'm sort of a patch-guy anyway... I'm not going to lose sleep over using the stock patches.

---------- Post added 03-27-2011 at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-05-2011 at 12:54 PM ----------

And for some strange reason it's not transmitting the MSB or LSB anymore.

I think i'm going to throw something out the window!!!!!

Back