How DO U know what chords go together

once you know what key you are in then here are the chord that go together...

I ii iii IV V vi vii

pick any 2, 3, 4 of these chords and you have a progression where the chords go together...

i.e.

I IV V
ii V I
ii V vi IV
iii vi ii V

etc

p.s. this works for all keys...

Who need rules?

I hate to combine music and theory.. Music is something you play by heart, and not with your mind! If you can only play music with your mind you can't make music, only the commercial music really rely on these rules.
I agree you need to know the basics, and indeed NOOB ears won't hear it that good, but that's just training. I never ever used such rules, I didn't even know they existed and still there enough people I know that like my music..
I'd say, just try out, just play some random chords and play it for someone else. Sure anyone can tell if there is a chord that doensn't sounds, only if it is your own song you won't hear it that good, but they won't be able to correct you, so just try to replace it and see what that gives. That'll give you more experience than just play from the book.
Cheers

Last edited:
I hate to combine music and theory.. Music is something you play by heart, and not with your mind! If you can only play music with your mind you can't make music, only the commercial music really rely on these rules.
I agree you need to know the basics, and indeed NOOB ears won't hear it that good, but that's just training. I never ever used such rules, I didn't even know they existed and still there enough people I know that like my music..
I'd say, just try out, just play some random chords and play it for someone else. Sure anyone can tell if there is a chord that doensn't sounds, only if it is your own song you won't hear it that good, but they won't be able to correct you, so just try to replace it and see what that gives. That'll give you more experience than just play from the book.
Cheers

question!!!

if you are at a birthday party could you play "happy birthday" with harmony and melody?

i keep hearing about an "ear"...

how many times have you heard "happy birthday"? so, i think playing it with that "ear" should be very simple...

theory, music and hip hop...

with sampling theory is not "so" important but if you compose every thing you play there is a music term for it, therefore why not learn what it is called?

lets look at the flam which is a drumming term but what is a flam on a melodic instrument? (brace note) if the flam sounds good on some drum parts why wouldnt the brace note work on a melodic parts?

there are 1000s of ways that theory will make your composition better...

i find it unbelievable that individuals who never dj ed, never in the school band, never in the school jazz band, marching band, never played an instrument or a band/group has developed this "ear" but cant play "happy birthday" after hearing it about 1 millions times...

think about it...

question!!!

if you are at a birthday party could you play "happy birthday" with harmony and melody?

i keep hearing about an "ear"...

how many times have you heard "happy birthday"? so, i think playing it with that "ear" should be very simple...

theory, music and hip hop...

with sampling theory is not "so" important but if you compose every thing you play there is a music term for it, therefore why not learn what it is called?

lets look at the flam which is a drumming term but what is a flam on a melodic instrument? (brace note) if the flam sounds good on some drum parts why wouldnt the brace note work on a melodic parts?

there are 1000s of ways that theory will make your composition better...

i find it unbelievable that individuals who never dj ed, never in the school band, never in the school jazz band, marching band, never played an instrument or a band/group has developed this "ear" but cant play "happy birthday" after hearing it about 1 millions times...

think about it...

Yes, I can do that..the chords would be more difficult, but I'll figure it out.
But, I don't understand what you are trying to say exactly. I know theory can help you. I also said you need to know the basics. But there are a lot of theories that say: use this A-B-A-B-C-B-scheme, and always end on the dominant of the first chord you use. And in a verse for the lead instrument you need a 'question', 'answer', again a 'question' and end with a 'final answer'..And that is certainly the kind of theory I really don't like!
I don't call such things as a flam a theory, that's a technique. And with techniques there isn't a way to play it at its best. It's your own interpretation of it and changes if you play another song.
I hope you understand me :)

But if you know more about theories than me, you could help me! (if you want to of course) in the topic: Techniques => Theory, Composing & Sound Design => NEED URGENT HELP (exam) (I cannot post a link here)
I planning to become a producer and the studies are at a conservatory, so I'll still need to learn the theory..and don't think I like it :p
And before I forget, I started 11 years ago with staff notation and I never had a result beneath the 80% (as well as for staff notation as for percussion as for clarinet). I can play music, and I always play it by heart. That's the most comfortable way of playing music for me, and everyone I know (including my teacher, and he's good!) says I have to keep on playing like this. :)

Last edited:
Actually there are some "rules". Like the I chord can be followed by any chord, the 5 chord only by the I (one more maybe?) and so on. People have made simple charts over this. Iv'e read about it in "the complete idiots guide to music composition". The title is something like that anyway.

I think it's really important for anyone who wants to get into piano to sit there for a half hour or more everyday just to see what they figure out on their own because 100% of the time that you do learn something on your own, you will know it better than when someone tried teaching you a concept or theory.

I used to practice for hours everyday, especially in the summer. I would try out different things on my own for a while, hit up the web and learn some new theories, and try to apply it for my next hour or so of practice. Half the time, doing that got me teaching myself something completely new that the video or book didn't even show me, just by messin around, combining my ear with proper technique.

Anyone who hasn't doesn't do this probably have found themselves bored of learning, angry at their teacher (which is why it's good to switch up sources of learning), or will learn much slower than someone who is applying what they learn to what they have taught themselves.

I just think it's ridiculous for people to think that it takes rocket science for someone to learn one of the easiest instruments in the world. Children use it as a toy. Yes there are A LOT of different things to learn, many of which I may never learn. But this isn't classical music or a symphony this guy is trying to conduct. He want to learn hip hop and rnb music of today, and sorry to say, but that's pretty easy music for the MOST part...not all of it, but mostly.

I know I stepped on some toes saying that, but just because you know piano and this guy doesn't shouldn't mean you get to chop him down and call him a noob for asking about chord progression. You guys sound like the noobs, not him.

I think it's really important for anyone who wants to get into piano to sit there for a half hour or more everyday just to see what they figure out on their own because 100% of the time that you do learn something on your own, you will know it better than when someone tried teaching you a concept or theory.

I used to practice for hours everyday, especially in the summer. I would try out different things on my own for a while, hit up the web and learn some new theories, and try to apply it for my next hour or so of practice. Half the time, doing that got me teaching myself something completely new that the video or book didn't even show me, just by messin around, combining my ear with proper technique.

Anyone who hasn't doesn't do this probably have found themselves bored of learning, angry at their teacher (which is why it's good to switch up sources of learning), or will learn much slower than someone who is applying what they learn to what they have taught themselves.

I just think it's ridiculous for people to think that it takes rocket science for someone to learn one of the easiest instruments in the world. Children use it as a toy. Yes there are A LOT of different things to learn, many of which I may never learn. But this isn't classical music or a symphony this guy is trying to conduct. He want to learn hip hop and rnb music of today, and sorry to say, but that's pretty easy music for the MOST part...not all of it, but mostly.

I know I stepped on some toes saying that, but just because you know piano and this guy doesn't shouldn't mean you get to chop him down and call him a noob for asking about chord progression. You guys sound like the noobs, not him.

this is well said!!!

there is no magic formula for playing chords or theory but the "time" you put into it...

i just have a problem with individuals that do not put the "time" into learning but say they have an "ear"...

that "ear" comes with practicing and trying things out. i am talking about hours of practice and trial and error if you do not have an instructor...

another good point Nova wrote is if you do have a teacher/instructor change up from time to time. see another view point of how music is made...

I don't think this is something that can be learned. You either hear what goes together or you don't if you don't then you are tone def and I don't think you can learn your way out of being tone def.

I don't think this is something that can be learned. You either hear what goes together or you don't if you don't then you are tone def and I don't think you can learn your way out of being tone def.

one could be taught ear training...

i.e. the first two notes in 'silent night' is a hold step. the first two notes in the "orginal star trak" theme is a fifth, the first two notes on "over the rainbow" is an octive and so on...

if an individual puts alittle "time" into learning ear training if she/she who was not born with that 'ear' can learn...

again, it does not happen over night...

putting drums, bass, electric piano and sax on a track does not make an individual have that 'ear'...

that combo will always sound good together...

having an 'ear' is a little deeper than that...

This is a very informative thread. I am a piano student and have been for about 4 months now, and I've learned a ton about combining the elements that i've learned thusfar. Thank you all for your input.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:

This is closest to my line of reasoning based on your question which is "Do U know what chords go together?" The only thing I might add is this: Put your musical instruments in the same room as your music player. Then when you hear some chords played on your current favorite Hiphop tune you can pound on the keyboard and figure out what's going on.

About theory: It isn't necessary at all. But you may get to a place where you would want to learn some more of it.

I studied music in college so I understand what the "educationalists" are saying about theory being necessary, but to be honest I actually thought I was more creative during the time I wasn't studying the theory. Maybe it was because it was taking away from the creative playing time or something.. You can teach yourself. Then if you get to where you need to communicate musically other than by just playing, you can get a teacher and learn some Theory.

About theory: It isn't necessary at all. But you may get to a place where you would want to learn some more of it.

this is very true but if an individual does not have a "clue" theory is a great place to start.

example: if you read this thread there are individuals that think that there is only one minor scale (relative minor) and with this train of thought how much music is that individual missing?

answer: a ton...

I studied music in college so I understand what the "educationalists" are saying about theory being necessary, but to be honest I actually thought I was more creative during the time I wasn't studying the theory. Maybe it was because it was taking away from the creative playing time or something.. You can teach yourself. Then if you get to where you need to communicate musically other than by just playing, you can get a teacher and learn some Theory.

i studied music too at Berklee and practicing does sucks. there is nothing like smoking a joint and sitting down to jam...

but what i found was if i sat down and practice my drills when it came time to jam the jamming experience was more enjoyfull...

basically, i incorparated what i learnt during practicing my drills into jamming...

p.s. when i talk about learning theory i talking about practicing drills that incorparate the subject matter and not just reading a book/manual...

Last edited:
With any theory, there are a ton of different ways to comprehend it and think about it mentally. The quoted post below is exactly how I think of it. I'm REALLY lazy, and prefer things to be complex, but concise, meaning, hard to understand but very easy to apply once understood.

Before trying to understand the post I'm talking about below(Lodger's,) first you HAVE to understand a few things:
Quickly:
I. there are 12 major scales, and 12 minor scales. Any musical passage played in one scale can be moved to another of the same type by shifting all of the notes up or down. This is called transposition.
II. You can transpose a song you're working with(like, one you're trying to diseect and figure out) by figuring out its key, and moving everything up or down to where you can play it in A minor.
III. A minor is the only minor scale on the keyboard which does not make use of the black keys. This makes it easier to understand what's going on.

If you don't understand these things, or want to know more, read my long winded explanation below.

Firstly, understand that there are a variety of scales, however, you can transpose from one key to another (of the same type - like - A minor to F# minor) by simply shifting all of the notes up by a certain amount. An octave consists of 12 semitones(a fancy word for a half step, A half step is the distance between a C and C# for example.) The keyboard is PERFECT for understanding this concept because the piano already has two scales laid out for you which DO NOT REQUIRE THAT YOU USE THE SHARPS OR FLATS. This means you only have 7 notes to deal with, and you can see visually which ones they are. The scales already laid out are from A to A(A Minor) and C to C(C Major.) All songs are in a "key."Sometimes that key changes, but in most of today's music, the song stays in the same key the entire way through. This means that you just need to move(formally called transposing) all the notes (you play - or the song itself plays) to match each other.
Here's how you use this trick:
1. Take a song you like. Just in case you don't grasp the part that relies on your ear, you can follow along with what I'm doing to understand. I'm going to use the intro of Lil'Wayne's Lollipop as an example.
a. First we need to figure out what key it's in. To do this, just listen to the first note and find it on the keyboard by comparing the two. The first note of the song is a D. Through trial and error(This part requires LOTS of practice, and training your ears) you will get better and better at this, but you should at least be able to tell "These two pitches are the same." Listen to the first verse of the song, and be sure that you can tell what pitches are being played, and of course, which keys they are on the keyboard. In this particular song, the initial progression is "D - E - F - G, D - E - F - A" You can play these on the keyboard and play along with the song.
b. Now, there's two approaches to this part , broken down into i and ii.
i - The technical approach(for untrained ears) You can simply keep sounding out the song, figuring out what pitches are what. You will, 99% of the time, not stray from the 7 tones included in any of the 12 major or 12 minor scales. Now that you know what the notes are, simply find the scale that includes only those notes - I like the tool at http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm for this. As a training exercise, I like to play the scale the whole way through, up and down, several times, to make sure my ear knows it. The scale is D minor, which consists of D, E, F, G, A, Bflat, C, and D again.
ii - The "semi trained ear"approach - Listen to the song and play it on the keyboard. Listen carefully to which notes sound dominant, and which notes give way to others. In the case of this song, it's VERY simple - D is very dominant, so everything starts on and returns to it. The song is broken up into bars of 4 beats(as is 99% of popular music today) and at the beginning of each 4 beat phrase is the note D. We also notice that the note E F and G, then E F and A, follow D. This means that the scale consists of DEFG and A, and some other unconfirmed(but not necessarily unknown) notes. From there, start playing notes upward on the keyboard, starting on the root note(in theory, called the tonic,) D. If the song did not have a straightforward progression in the beginning, for example, if it went, DFAGA, (notice there's no E) you would simply figure out what note is missing. A scale will ALWAYS use EVERY letter of the musical alphabet, but not the same letter twice, for example, in this case, the scale of D minor, we have D E F G A Bflat C D. We would NEVER say D E F G A Asharp C D, even though A sharp and B flat are the same note(we call this "enharmonic" - meaning, they're the same note.) You can use this rule of theory to help you rule out what notes you won't have in the scale. In this case, we have D F G and A in the scale for sure, but there's got to be an E something in the scale - an E flat, an E sharp, or an E natural(the note E itself.) E sharp is the same note as F natural, and we've already used F, so that can't be it. If you play D Eflat F G A, it sounds like sh**, so then you try D E F G A, and low and behold it fits perfectly. We now know that our scale contains the notes D E F G A.
You may want to listen to more of the song, to get a better feel for it, but I presume you're familiar with the song, as it got overplayed to no end on just about every hip hop station in the US. Anyway, when playing notes, going upward on the keyboard, keep playing til you hear the first note that just DOES NOT FIT. You will be able to tell (I hope) immediately, which note that is, and in this case, it happens to be B natural. It just doesn't follow the "feel"of the progression we just played, so we try first B sharp, which is the same as a C. C does fit the progression, but it's too big a jump(you should be able to hear that. Even if you can't tell, remember the rule, you have to use each letter of the alphabet in any scale, so B something has to be in there, and we already know it's not B natural, so let's try B flat. EUREKA! It works. Now, go on to the next note, C, which also works, then D, which we already know will work because we've used it before. Now, if you have a good ear, you'll be able to tell which note is dominant, and which notes are what. You can sort of cheat, by playing the TRIAD(very important word - just meaning, a note, a 3rd interval, and a 5th interval.) of the scale that you THINK you are working with. I (actually know, but) think we're in the scale of D minor, so let's play that triad. The D minor triad is D, F, and A. You can tell because, we know the scale is DEFGABflatCD, so just take 1, 3, and 5, E F and G, and that's your triad. Play it as a chord and see if it matches up. Your ear being trained is important here, but most people should be able to tell, when comparing side by side "Hey that chord (fits/doesnt fit) that song." If it fits (D minor triad does,) that's your scale - plain and simple. Once you know your scale you just need to set your keyboard or DAW to transpose everything you play into the correct key.

2. On your keyboard, play the entire scale you just figured out - D E F G A Bflat, C. Remember, you can transpose from any key, to any key, and almost all songs are made of up of 7(different) notes. Also remember, that the keyboard comes with two scales already laid out for you, A minor, and C major. This means, we can "cheat"and transpose D minor into A minor, so that we can play in the key of D minor, without having to watch out for B flat, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, allowing us to better visualize how the chords themselves are being constructed. To do this, we just need to find the key A on the keyboard, and then count how many notes D is from it. Each individual key counts as one, so you'd count, A-0, Asharp/Bflat-1, B-2, C-3, D-4. This means that we need to move everything up by 4 half steps(which is similar to, but not exactly the same as, two half steps, for reasons you'll understand eventually) To do this, just set your daw up to "Transpose your playing up by 4 semitones." How you do this varies from daw to daw, but in Ableton, there's a "Midi Pitch"plugin, which you drag onto a midi track, and simply turn a knob, or key in, how many semitones you want to move up/down.

Once you're done setting that up, try playing the song you're comparing, and the A minor scale. They should match, and you should now be able to play the entire melody, with only the keys A B C D E F and G, aka the A minor scale. If you can't, you did something wrong.

Now you can see very simply and clearly what chords you are making. Now, try playing along with the song, with your now vastly narrowed and perfected palette (I tend to think of your scale as an artist's palette because, artists will sometimes use other stuff than what's on the palette, but very sparingly, and in very rare occasions, much like most songs always stick to a given scale.)

Now, follow the instructions in this dude's post I quoted below, to understand how chord progressions work.

As a side note and a blurb, I do agree that sticking to music theory will vastly narrow your possibilities as an artist, I must also remind you that there's a reason it is what it is, and there's a reason that 99% of the music on the radio today follows it(tightly or loosely, varying by artist) - our brains LOVE it. Many artists will make tracks that simply don't follow or conform to music theory, and they may sound cool to them, or a few other folks, but they're not in line with what the general population wants to hear. I don't make music for me - I make music for my audience - to feed on their(approval? praise? a whole nother conversation....) The more people that hear and like my track, the better.
Random occurrences are pretty sweet when they turn out favorably, but let's be honest, what would happen if you(I presume you have no culinary experience) read the back of a chineese TV dinner, and bought all the ingridents it listed, then attempted to make the same thing, but with your own twists to it. You yourself may like it, so if you're cooking for yourself that's fine. If you're cooking for company,(or making a beat for an audience) you'll have a lot more to take into consideration.
Now, imagine the same situation with a trained, experienced, expert chef. He's going to be able to see the ingredients list, and he'll know, not only how much of each thing to put, and when to mix it in, he'll probably even know what brand or variant of ingredients (like - an 808 kick, vs a 909 kick, where to EQ the bass to make room for the kick, etc...) He'll also know, from years of experience, how to accent his dish, for the intended eater.
I'm getting hungry, so I'll have to wrap this up quick - What I'm getting at is, with years and years of experience, through experimentation, you'll undoubtedly eventually come up with something that's awesome, but why bother wasting all that time experimenting, when you can learn the guidelines and theories that others have already discovered through hours and hours of experimentation. Why do the dirty work if you don't have to? Once you know all the basics, and all the fundamentals, you can establish a starting point, and "bend" the fundamentals to suit your needs, just as a gourmet chef may not put quite as much spice in his meal if he knew it were being served to a 70 year old lady. Now you may be thinking, well that's a gourmet chef, of course he's going to make that adjustment, but remember, you as an artist should be striving to ALWAYS be better - you want to be a gourmet chef, not the fry cook at whataburger, or the hobbyist cooking for the family on the weekends.

Peace

chords have properties that make them "resolve" into other chords....

to understand how to make chord progressions, you first need to know how to make chords based on all of the degrees (notes) of the scale.

since there are 7 notes in the standard scale, there are 7 chords that are primary to that scale.

here's a good strategy for forming chords:
write down all of the notes of the scale that you are working with, putting the number of the note below it

For example

C Major:
C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

now to make a chord, simply start on that degree of the scale and add add every other note (for the next two or more notes):

for example- to make the chord based off of C,
take the 1, 3, and 5
C E G

to make the chord based off of the 3rd, E min, take the 3, 5, and 7
E G B

for the 6th, it would be the 6, the 1, and the 3

A C E

this strategy will work for any reg major or minor scale.

now to finish answering your questions of what will resolve or lead to what other chord

------------------------------------------------------------------
Chord leading reference

1 -----> any chord
2 -----> 4,5, 7
3 -----> 2,4
4 -----> 1,5,7
5 -----> 1
6 -----> 2,4
7 -----> 1,3

Before anyone gets sketchy with this, there are exceptions and extentions of this, but this is a good starting ground for understanding the basic properties of chords for resolving into each other.

to make progressions, start on a number and have that go to a number that it resolves to, such as

1, 4, 5
1,4,1,5, etc

the only general rule is to make the chord progression end with something that would resolve back to the chord that you started on (for example, if you started your progression on 1, ending on 5 would work well because it would naturally lead back to one.)

If you have any questions about this, dont hesitate to ask....

_lodger_

i studied music too at Berklee and practicing does sucks. there is nothing like smoking a joint and sitting down to jam...
I went there too.. I also went to a couple of other more traditional colleges. The guy is asking about hiphop. How many of the hiphop artists he's listening to have studied harmony or theory at a school at all? I understand, practice certainly won't hurt. But I'm just answering the question as the question is. He wants the quickest method to get from point A to point B. I don't suggest one smokes a joint while teaching oneself the chords, though, unless you've got a recorder on and you can forgo the memory element. The joint may make one feel better but I suggest you've got the basics down pat before going in that direction if you're so inclined.

The answer does depend on what kind of an ear one has, if you're tone deaf you may as well forget it. But with rudimentary skills and an aggressive listening regime as well as a keyboard nearby to try to copy the basic chords being played, one should be able to bypass the educational avenue and save plenty of money and time. Get a keyboard. Even a simple USB MIDI controller should be enough to get you generating sounds. With a good ear (I have to assume he's got listening skills) you can mimic the hiphop and come to a general understanding of what chords are being used.

In any case, with all due respect, Jayeasy123 started this topic in 2006. I highly doubt he's even reading what we're saying now, 3 years later.

Last edited:
I went there too.. I also went to a couple of other more traditional colleges. The guy is asking about hiphop. How many of the hiphop artists he's listening to have studied harmony or theory at a school at all? I understand, practice certainly won't hurt. But I'm just answering the question as the question is. He wants the quickest method to get from point A to point B. I don't suggest one smokes a joint while teaching oneself the chords, though, unless you've got a recorder on and you can forgo the memory element. The joint may make one feel better but I suggest you've got the basics down pat before going in that direction if you're so inclined.

The answer does depend on what kind of an ear one has, if you're tone deaf you may as well forget it. But with rudimentary skills and an aggressive listening regime as well as a keyboard nearby to try to copy the basic chords being played, one should be able to bypass the educational avenue and save plenty of money and time. Get a keyboard. Even a simple USB MIDI controller should be enough to get you generating sounds. With a good ear (I have to assume he's got listening skills) you can mimic the hiphop and come to a general understanding of what chords are being used.

In any case, with all due respect, Jayeasy123 started this topic in 2006. I highly doubt he's even reading what we're saying now, 3 years later.

if you read my post again it states:

but what i found was if i sat down and practice my drills when it came time to jam the jamming experience was more enjoyfull...

basically, i incorparated what i learnt during practicing my drills into jamming...

p.s. when i talk about learning theory i talking about practicing drills that incorparate the subject matter and not just reading a book/manual...

it sez smoke a joint while "jamming"...

it sez nothing about smoking while studing or learning chords or scales etc...

i do agree smoking weed while learning anything is a waste of time...

when i talk about "jamming", i am talking about no structure, no nothing but just cut loose and let the music flow...

if you read all of my posts in this thread you would have read that if an individual is sampling there is not need for music theory but you an individual is composing it is a great place to start...

basically, it cant hurt/will help greatly...

you have to realize that most do not have any musical background (school band, marching band, playing in a group, etc). i feel that since you went to berklee you must have been playing some instrument for a minute...

i also feel playing/making a tune whether hip hop/rnb/ect with just your two index fingers is limited also...

yes, i went to traditional college/university too...

morgan state university (baltimore md) - double degree math/computer science and masters from new york university in finance...

chords have properties that make them "resolve" into other chords....

to understand how to make chord progressions, you first need to know how to make chords based on all of the degrees (notes) of the scale.

since there are 7 notes in the standard scale, there are 7 chords that are primary to that scale.

here's a good strategy for forming chords:
write down all of the notes of the scale that you are working with, putting the number of the note below it

For example

C Major:
C D E F G A B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

now to make a chord, simply start on that degree of the scale and add add every other note (for the next two or more notes):

for example- to make the chord based off of C,
take the 1, 3, and 5
C E G

to make the chord based off of the 3rd, E min, take the 3, 5, and 7
E G B

for the 6th, it would be the 6, the 1, and the 3

A C E

this strategy will work for any reg major or minor scale.

now to finish answering your questions of what will resolve or lead to what other chord

Chord leading reference

1 -----> any chord
2 -----> 4,5, 7
3 -----> 2,4
4 -----> 1,5,7
5 -----> 1
6 -----> 2,4
7 -----> 1,3

Before anyone gets sketchy with this, there are exceptions and extentions of this, but this is a good starting ground for understanding the basic properties of chords for resolving into each other.

to make progressions, start on a number and have that go to a number that it resolves to, such as

1, 4, 5
1,4,1,5, etc

the only general rule is to make the chord progression end with something that would resolve back to the chord that you started on (for example, if you started your progression on 1, ending on 5 would work well because it would naturally lead back to one.)

If you have any questions about this, dont hesitate to ask....

_lodger_
Dude, if you're still around five years later let me, thank you.lol as an old school, dirty sample hip hop producer from before computers, when we would dis beats using a synthesizer keyboard by calling them casio, after the cheezy keyboards you would find in sears, I was just reading up on some chords, doing what the other posters suggested.
That's the thing. I'm not dissin anyone on the board, because I know how it is with the new guy, especially someone who would be conceited enough to think that he should just be "handed" knowledge on a forum, that took you years of schooling to learn. But I think all of the forums, that WE obviously really like, would be so much stronger if we refrained from the sideways remarks that EVERYONE gives to certain posters who come off a certain way. and I say that with a smile. lol

I'm thinking more like a great reference site and less facebook, you know? Of course joking around is cool, but there were seven or eight posts, before one that answered about as well as you could've, doing nothing but making some poor kid feel like a d--- lol That's why I hate those f----ing Ask.com sites. If you don't have an answer or if you think it's a stupid question, why dont we just move on?

Just sayin'

Well idk about a lot of people, but i tend to use my ears when picking out chords... :P

Yes, a lot of people do things this way. Music is about what you hear and this is what your audience will do. It's more important to get things sounding right in the ear as opposed to sounding right on paper.

Theory can help with getting chords to sound good together though, even if you are not into theory much. Just look at the chart for the circle of 5ths. You will find that the more clumped together the chords, the more harmonious the sound - eg G/D/C/Em are all together (very common chords in a song). No need to understand what the chart is all about - just look it up on wiki.

Back