How did you get proficient at DJing?

ego killer

i want to incorporate scratching in my beats so i have a couple questions.
1. how long did it take you to get to a very basic level of scratching, and how many hours a day on average did you practice?
2. what was/is your practice routine?

It didn't take long at all for me to get the hang of basic transform scratching, probably about a half an hour or so, I started with two duplicate records and I cued up the same part on both records and put a white sticker dot to mark the position (giving me a visual cue) then I put the headphones away and worked on my hand eye and ear coordination for a few hours, once you get the hang of it you will want to keep going.

That would be a cool phrase to scratch with:

"The wor... the wor... the worker's compensation or employee... the wor; worker's comp, the, the the..."

GJ

What you play means everything. If you don't play the right Jams then all the best scratching and mixing won't help. Get your music collection up and work on "playing the right jams at the right time". If you want to be a Turntablist". that's something different.

First thing I learned (from a very skilled and popular DJ who mentored me): Most of the time when DJ's scratch they just **** up the momentum. People don't give a shit when they come out to dance, too often the DJ clears a floor by ruining the momentum that an artist put a lot of time into building perfectly. There are times when it sounds dope, and people who do it great, but spend more time mixing and reading crowds first. You can practise scratching after that, cause no club is gonna book you again if you're tryin to learn how to scratch when there's already a dance floor.

First thing I learned (from a very skilled and popular DJ who mentored me): Most of the time when DJ's scratch they just **** up the momentum. People don't give a shit when they come out to dance, too often the DJ clears a floor by ruining the momentum that an artist put a lot of time into building perfectly. There are times when it sounds dope, and people who do it great, but spend more time mixing and reading crowds first. You can practise scratching after that, cause no club is gonna book you again if you're tryin to learn how to scratch when there's already a dance floor.

Completely agreed, Scratching should be used moderately and tastefully, not 'hey, look at me!'

Start with easy scratches babys, the next two are the most important for record control tears and tip scratch master these and practice. Do not scratch live until you are ready, let your peers hear a mini set and I am sure they will tell you.

Learn to mix first......Period. Thinking about scratching at your level is like running before you learn how to stand. Go through the natural progression of deejaying and everything will fall into place. The deejay culture has gone down the same way rap has because everybody sounds the same because everyone is looking at the same videos, using the same sounds, and doing the same scratching style. Learn the correct way and be patient. You will develop your own style, which is very important in preserving the art. 27 years and still going. Peace be with you.........Rob Mixx

Most of the time DJ's suck and can't scratch. If you CAN scratch then it's not going to **** up momentum or do anything but add to it. Obviously you can't scratch so you're going to say this, lol. It's no coincidence that in Red Bull Thr3estyle type battles where it's strictly about party rocking, nearly all of the world finalists are sick scratchers.

i want to incorporate scratching in my beats so i have a couple questions.
1. how long did it take you to get to a very basic level of scratching, and how many hours a day on average did you practice?
2. what was/is your practice routine?

1. Very basic level of scratching is a bit subjective, but I think in maybe 5 months you can get clean enough to be able to do scratching out or in mixes and have it sound decent if you practice hard. I'd say at least 2-3 hours per day, but obviously more is better... if you can dedicate 6-8 hours a day, then do it.

2. Instead of answering this, I'll give you how I would do it if I went back and had to start again, haha. Find either:

-Qbert's DIY 1 videos on youtube or something, or buy the DVD if you have the money, and learn chirps, stabs, and marches. Try to only do those for as long as you can avoid practicing other scratches.

-sign up for qbert skratch university (google it), it's a REALLY good resource for up and coming/learning scratching, tons of stuff, but it's a bit pricy. If you can afford it, I'd say that's the best way to go in 2012.

But yea chirps and stabs should be your bread and butter, they're the simplest scratches but VERY versatile, and you can never get them too tight. If you can practice just those for like 6 months and get them double-time and be able to fast beats, that's the fastest way to becoming proficient at scratching. Transforms are really important too but they come fairly naturally and you'll learn them as you learn stabs. Here's a recent vid of me scratching:

Check out the 10,000 hour rule. Some people disagree but learning about the conversation surrounding it should give you an idea about hom much time you need to put in. Practice practice practice.

I just got hold of a for-the-DJ vinyl and scratched the hell out of it for a few weeks, spending a couple of hours here and there. if you can learn how to manipulate a couple of standard sounds such as "fresh" etc then you can start to spot the potential in others that you come across.

I listened to other Djs for the longest. Not to bite their routine but to check out their style and from there, I developed my own. It also helped me to start on vinyl first to learn the basics.

Back