How can I improve my rap voice?

I've never really done any rapping so I can't comment on the attitude behind the lyrics etc.

With proper systematic practice it is definitely possible to change the way you speak and project your voice. If you don't like how you sound when you rap then I really advise finding a vocal coach to help you. Learning to sing well can really help avoid a monotone speaking or rapping voice because it helps your voice more comfortably shift pitch in response to what you're saying.

I'm only new to it all but here's a little tip that helped me.

Hold your tounge either with your hand or by biting down on it with your teeth, this will restrict your tongues movment and therefor your sound, so you will sound retarded when your doing it but try not to worry lol.

With your tounge held in place spit the whole song you've been practicing.

What this does is helps teach your lips and tongue to not be lazy making you open your mouth a little wider as well as a couple other things that will make your voice sound 'louder' and a lot more clear (think soccer players training with weights on their ankels).

I got this tip from music school when I was younger, it applies more to singing but it did help with my delivery.

Love this thread. A lot of people giving great input and also a great question. I was wondering the same thing that's how I came upon this thread.

i read somewhere that when Outkast was starting out they used to rap while they were running laps around the block, learning breath control & getting flow down tight. I guess once they could do that, doing it in the studio seemed easy by comparison.

biggest/most common mistake new rappers make is they raise the pitch of their voice like they're trying to be louder and they just sound like an idiot straining their voice. people like lower voices, try to keep your pitch/sound as synonymous with your speaking voice, but with more emphasis and stronger projection. as soon as you sound high-strung like your forcing it, it will sound like crap

So basically I just got into rapping/hip-hop. I've been listening for a little while, but I just started writing and attempting to record. I have a blue yeti microphone for recording at the moment. My voice is deep, which I do not like. I can write good lyrics but my delivery/voice sounds terrible. I know I need to practice, but practice what exactly? Just rap the same way I rap? Like if my voice sounds bad but that's the way I rap, do i just keep practicing that same way until it improves?

Anything will be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Bump :o
A lot of what makes a good rapper is lyrics and delivery. And good adlibs / overdubs. You obviously cant change your voice (well i guess you can autotune :\) but you can improve your flow in a lot of ways. Listen to what parts other rappers annunciate more and emphasize, listen to how they use multis and just their styles in general. Theres a lot more to rapping than just rhyming words on a beat (which u seem to realize already), id suggest just studying people with styles similiar to what you want to do, and try to put your own twist on it

Smoke cigs before you rap.... haha naw but really just change shit up until it sounds how you like. Its not always about how you sound when you record mono or stereo whatever...sometimes you just need to layer your shit, pan one to the left, one to the right...widen the recording whatever. Add a chorus effect or REVERB for a lot of people. Figuring the reverb that works for your voice is a lifelong project that is always changing for me. Discovering new plugins and such leads to new routes for this

Real talk, everyone hates hearing their voice at first. I agree with what people are saying about how you should listen to other rappers and study their techniques. Personally, if I where to pick one rapper whose flow you should study, it would be Andre 3000, but you should mix it up because there are a million ways to attack a beat

Another good thing to think about is the emotion that you want to convey. You're most likely not going to use the same voice/delivery for a track about poppin bottles as you use for a track about impoverished children. That voice/delivery will change again on your track about the differences between the homo habilis and the homo erectus.

And practice spitting all the time! When you're walking somewhere, showering, waiting in line for something- you will feel out what is natural and comfortable for you. The more you do that, the more easier it will feel when you're behind the mic.

Finally, just listening to your voice after you've recorded a few tracks will help you get used to the sound of your own voice. Embrace that shiz. It's yours.

Personally i have never met a person that was enthusiastic about their own voice. Even when my team is in the studio we like eachothers voices better than our own.

I'm gonna give you some tips:
1) DO NOT read the lyrics when you are trying to rap. Memorize them, feel them. See, first thing you should do is pick your musical reference/ favorite rapper. Now, pick one of his songs, one that you really feel, one that you usually sing along, one that makes you think "oh, I wanna be this great". Now, since you have an iPod (I had one too :c) which not everbody can afford, play that song, and sing to yourself, low, or even without making any noise. When you have done this like, IDK, 15 times, you'll already feel the track. Then start rapping along. Do these several times. You'll end up memorizing the most of it. For me it was harder because although I'm not a native speaker, I had a hard time till I started memorizing my stuff (I was damn young anyway). Now, by memorizing and FEELING what you are saying, you'll be WAY MORE CONFIDENT. Believe me. Also, subconsciously, you'll be adapting to your favorite artist's way of rapping.

2) I didn't feel really confortable with my voice, and I still ain't, BUT you'll get a lil more confortable with time. Then you can train your Voice, I didn't ever do this, but you can get someone to teach you. Also, as you mature your voice will get better. For adolescents, your voice is changing, thus when you are 20 already it will be way better than it was ;)

3) Train your breathing. Make sure you are not one lazy moth******r! If you are lazy, or don't have any energy, you'll loose passion. It's not about being a fast rapper, but having a serious attitude towards it. Enlarge your lungs bro, run a lot, and even sing along your favorite songs while you run. Try singing along faster rap songs - let me remind you, memorize the lyrics or else you won't have time to read them and spit them, learn the rappers pace.

I hope that I was helpful.
All of this came from my experience ;)

Peace. :angel:

Last edited:
If ya smoke...stop...all of it..cigs and weed. Also, drink enough water...

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Stop smoking all together...cigs and weed. Also, drink alot of water

just start rapping from right now everytime you feel to sing that would definitly enhance you rapping tones

Back