'Hot' Recording Levels vs. SOUND QUALITY Experiment

mainly because they tend to create unnatural sounding mixes/tracks, add strange phase issues and generally are the quickest way to ruin a track along with excesive limiting.

IMHO their use should be limited to saving a bad mix that cant be remixed and only when all else has failed.

in mixing, you have access to all the tracks individually and so can apply or adjust individual compression to deal with any problems rather than just papering over the cracks with a multiband. this always produces better results, always.
as a result in mixing theres not one reason i can think of where it should be used or would be beneficial save as a special effect process..

mastering can be somewhat different but only due to limitations from only having a two track to work from. even then its only a last resort if nothing else can be done and that id restrict to two bands to try to minimize impact.

IMHO multibands are something that should only be used wisely and sparingly though it seems many ignore this and straps them across everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen, Neil -

I swear, I'd like to find the guy who said "Yeah, MBC's are what matering engineers use all the time" and clock him in the side of the head for starting what has to be the biggest bunch of audio BS ever started since "get the levels as hot as you can."

And Elfs1der, the answer to your question is painfully simple and at the same time unbelievably confusing - You do what the mix asks you to do. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't know what the mix is asking you to do, then you need to learn to listen to what the mix is telling you.

But as Neilwight mentioned, it's a VERY rare occasion that a mix jumps up and says "Hey! Throw a maul-the-band compressor on me!" VERY rare.

Not that I don't keep a few available for projects that are pretty messed up, but even when they're used as they were designed to be used, it's still like putting a band-aid on a broken leg. It's almost always to make up for something that was screwed-up, then ignored during tracking and mixing.

I use Izotope ozone 3 and I read the mastering PDF file and it said that its like an EQ but just with separate compression for each band? But I see what you mean with it being bad because if your like, I need to bring out the bass in the mix, it should have been done "IN" the mix

R2B said:

Hi sleepy, this only works with version 2. We've got v.1. As I mentioned before, it's next to impossible to find. We had missed the boat back when it came out. But hey, if somebody on here can hook me up for the eproms... ;)

It's pretty hard to come accross an upgrade. I had an 02rv2 and that helped. Even so, you can still track to 24 bits if you'd like. You'd obviously only have 20 bits of data but even so it's still better than 16 bits.

I'm new to this whole recording thing and my goal is basically to record my vinyl to cd at a good level for dj purposes. I was told to record as close to 0db but then I read to record around -6db, etc....what is a good level? I'm using Sound Forge to record my vinyl and I see -0.6db and -6db, which is the correct one? Sorry for such a newbie question but I just want to get it right the first time.

neilwight said:
what about rounding errors caused through processing and DAW operations, fading, panning etc etc?
it was my understanding that these will all appear, theres no internal dithering of each calculation performed and during summing to cover these.
if this is the case then while these will be addressed as a total sum and then through final dithering/truncation theres plenty of scope for them to compound during the mixing process itself.

Applications(if they are any good) will apply randomization algorithms to avoid accumulative errors being propagated thru the datapath.

Also I'm a bit curious as to what exactly makes Multiband Compression worse than a singleband comp??

Isnt't the MBC capable of giving less obtrusive compression?

Less obtrusive per band perhaps, but the disjointed sound that results from it sounds like loudspeakers with cheesy crossovers (which is basically what's happening to the sound - uneven processing through a set of crossovers).

As a "volume enhancer" for inexperienced engineers, it lives up to the hype to a point - Unfortunately, it also lives up to the reputation for the damage in imparts on otherwise usable mixes.

But it's still almost always a "band-aid" for a poor mix. It's almost always a last-resort for any M.E. I know.

Personally, whenever I feel that a mix needs MBC to sound better, I call the client and ask if a remix is possible.

the heavy filtering is the main problem. splitting a signal in 2 or more bands is problematic. the big amount of calculations will "blur" the sound due to rounding-errors. additionally, filters are NEVER perfect. that means split a signal in multiple bands, mix them together again and you will never have the same signal again. other big issues are the phase-distortions (with iir standart-filters) or predelays (with fir filters, some of them are build to have linear phase behaviour).

of course, MB can give you a better compression in theory (expecting perfect filters). but the reality is that high-end manufacturers ALWAYS use minimal approaches to get their legendary sound. filtering so much is not a minimal approach and will damage the sound more than a MB-compressor will ever "repair" a signal. MB-compressors are wonderfull de-essers in music productions and hyper-loudness-machines in broadcast - but not in the mastering stage.

listen to a Manley, GML or Crane-Song compressor and you will know why no mastering engineer will ever need multi-band processing for compression tasks.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Less obtrusive per band perhaps, but the disjointed sound that results from it sounds like loudspeakers with cheesy crossovers (which is basically what's happening to the sound - uneven processing through a set of crossovers).

And you can achieve that with abusing a multiband eq yet most have no problem with using those

Compare how a single band compressor reacts to the energy-levels in the lower frequency ranges to how multiband would be capable of handling it.

As a "volume enhancer" for inexperienced engineers, it lives up to the hype to a point - Unfortunately, it also lives up to the reputation for the damage in imparts on otherwise usable mixes.

You should be looking at the limiter.

But it's still almost always a "band-aid" for a poor mix. It's almost always a last-resort for any M.E. I know.

Well you don't know them all ;)
Most M.E's I know do whatever it takes to achieve their goal, making it sound as good as it possibly can. without taking a principal standpoint and thus limiting themselves.
It's never "a lasr resort" to me
To me and many others it's a powerful soundshaping tool alowing me to get the sound I'm after

People worry about phase distortion and inaccurate filters, yet have no problem with slapping a multiband full-parametric eq over a mix, or a single band, compressor that reacts totally different to lowfrequency content(no sidechain filtering perhaps)

Strange.....

So here's what we have.
- Multiband compression is bad, yet multiband eq's are no problem.
IOW a purist standpoint like that would negate the use of most signal processing.

-MBC's are guilty of being used for "maximising" the volume, yet limiters are the most obvious culprit.
And when it comes to slamming something down hard to get highter RMS . That's when the limiters do their job.

Sorry.
I 'm not buying it :)

do it if you want, but don't wonder if nobody plays your sound in broadcast. they always apply a heavy loudness processing with multiband. doing it twice will create horrible distortions.

read this forum and you will know that EQing has exactly the same problems. i think we all know that. but there is a small difference here: an EQ is transparent with zero-setting. because the changes are additive. a special filtered copy of the signal is added (internally) only when boosting or cutting. a multiband is ALWAYS filtering, because the signal is splitted. the signal is not splitted in classic EQs (filterbanks are an exception).

the point is: loudnes is not important, i don't know any professional talking about that seriously. you are doing something wrong, if you need multiband processing.

what is loudness? simply increasing the average level? no. what is squashing? simply increasing the average level? yes.

loudness is much more, you can a have very high loudnes without a high average level. a crisp & transparent signal is always louder (and much more important: better sounding). a high long-term-dynamic-range is much louder than any hyper-boosted "no-dynamic-range"-signal, like those played on the radio or TV. contrast is the most important thing creating or mixing music. a multiband-compressor will kill all these important contrasts.

additionaly, a single-band compression in "idle" mode is not impacting the signal in any way. a multiband in idle mode is impacting the signal because of the filtering.

loudness is something for guys who don't know what a high-quality sound is. get some good speakers and you will understand why MBC is not used by most ME's.

Last edited:
degree,
it seems that perhaps you are taking points out of context with your reply or taking things literally and outwith the response what was typed out.

this discussion was about using multiband compressors in a mixing situation. the thread was about how to work correctly or better with 24bit inside DAW when mixing.
in this situation MBC are certainly almost always a poor choice unless you want a specific effect.
since you have access to each track, any problems such as the bass example you used would be easily better treated at an individual track level than they would by using an MBC on the 2buss. its a poor substitute for working correctly and you get a number of issues thrown in for free.

on to your points however :)

sure the same effect can be created with parametric EQs, if you set it up that way, however it takes a real butchering attempt to make it that way with eq and yet very little with multiband compressors to start getting unnatural results.

phase relationships are adjusted with parametric EQs, even linear phase ones to some extent, its this relationship that accounts for the sound of an EQ however any shift is much less dramatic than that of an MBC. there is no contradiction between using paramteric EQs and not liking multibands. used moderatley parametric EQs dont create unnatural relationships, mess up mixes or do strange phase imacts, used even lightly MBC can and often do.

while limiters are certainly accountable for mega loud mixes and poor sound quality, not all the blame can be laid there. multibands are probably as much to blame, perhaps more for killing totally the dynamics and impact across the whole track before a limiter makes it even hotter.
the ability to use an MBC to crush dynamics across every band in a much harder way than a single band means that the overuse of compression by many home users is multiplied when they use this and this is where the issues lie.
a single band being hit hard with a loud drum while strapped across a 2 buss (main mix) wont take long before you hear it clamping everything else too and have to back off.
a multiband in the same app can clamp every band hard independently, killing the dynamics entirely without initially appearing to impact the overall quality as much, certainly when the user is hearing volume go up to compensate.
the result, super over compression across the whole range of sounds rather than an overcompressed kick as used to be the case.

every ME i know, and i speak to a lot all share this feeling about MBCs in mastering apps and about them in mixing, look at bob katz book if you want another source.
do i have one though, yes, have i used it, yes but only as a last resort when all else failed.
depending on the situation regular compressing with good single band outboards after eq can work better, using an EQ'd sidechain can work better, even splitting to M/S with an EQ, compressor combination before recombining can work better.

you are right in some respect that to discount any tool is only to limit yourself however a full understanding of every trade off that occurs as a result of using each tool is crucial in allowing one to decide what course of action should be taken. sometimes leaving it can be better than the impact of fixing.
the impact of an MBC or any tool should be weighed up against alternatives such as a remix to correct the issue. since the best possible result is always the MEs raison d'etre, a remix will allow the issue requiring MBC to be better dealt with, with less negative impact and thus ensuring a better sound everytime. sometimes this isnt possible and so we have to use an MBC and accept the reduced result it will bring or leave it as is.

to recap:
"So here's what we have.
- Multiband compression is bad, yet multiband eq's are no problem.
IOW a purist standpoint like that would negate the use of most signal processing."

not at all, while phase relationships are adjusted by using each, the magnitude is vastly different between the two and thus the impact is vastly different too. alongside this the other impacts/results of using each are vastly different too.

"-MBC's are guilty of being used for "maximising" the volume, yet limiters are the most obvious culprit."

most obvious yes but often not the sole or root cause. many home mixes are destroyed, often in a less overt fashion before they even get near a limiter. harsh distortion is much more readily apparent than massive over compression and strangled dynamics.
since this thread is about mixing, i put it that neither should be anywhere near this thread. they have no use in a mixing situation.
in mastering, limiting is sadly required daily, (though ive never had more than 3db of limiting (usually 1-2db) and often clipping my lavry AD can work better) while MBC IMHO is purely on hold as a problem solver of last resort.

moses said:
do it if you want, but don't wonder if nobody plays your sound in broadcast. they always apply a heavy loudness processing with multiband. doing it twice will create horrible distortions.

If it works, then yes I will use whatever tool can do the job.

For broadcast- purposes multiband compression is not a big issue.
It is heavy limiting that should be avoided.
You can read more abour this in Orbans article on broadcast processing.
I'll see if I can dig up the link.

You sound like you think a MBC will imidiately destroy anything if inserted into the signalpath. It won't.

The radio stations or whatever actually don't about how the results of radio-ready song are achieved. If it's up their alley and it sounds good that's enough. If it sounds, it can just as easiuly have been done with a multiband eq and a singleband comp. They don't care.

There has been alot of talk about The SSL Listen Mic Compressor lately,
It was never intended to be used on drums, yet it was, and did what it did with regards to defining the drumsound.

That says all that needs to be said about rules, generalisations and "objective truths"

After all when it comes to music &sound it's basically down to taste and personal preferrences.

Answer this:
If a mbc does exactly what I want, then why the hell would I NOT use it. It defies logic and comes close to being a religious principle IMO.

If does _not_ do what I want then I won't use it.

read this forum and you will know that EQing has exactly the same problems. i think we all know that.

Yes but you won't see the multiband eq getting the same generalised treatment or views. Why is that?

but there is a small difference here: an EQ is transparent with zero-setting. because the changes are additive. a special filtered copy of the signal is added (internally) only when boosting or cutting. a multiband is ALWAYS filtering, because the signal is splitted. the signal is not splitted in classic EQs (filterbanks are an exception).

Considering the fact that having a equaliser that does absolutely nothing[/u) inserted in the signal chain is pointless, then that minor difference is totally irrelevant and can thus be be totally ignored.
The moment you start tweaking the eq(the whole point of having it there right?)
Something starts to happen with the audio.
You said yourself there is no such thing as a perfect filter.

The whole point of using processing is to do something, not nothing

the point is: loudnes is not important, i don't know any professional talking about that seriously. you are doing something wrong, if you need multiband processing.

Then you should get to know some professional A&R guys.

OTOH I am not talking about loudness.
and anyone who thinks multiband-compression is all about loudness is missing the mark by a mile.

a multiband-compressor will kill all these important contrasts.

The MBC won't kill anything whatsoever In the right hands, just like a single band comp or a multiband-eq, it's a tool.

additionaly, a single-band compression in "idle" mode is not impacting the signal in any way. a multiband in idle mode is impacting the signal because of the filtering.

Again: if it does nothing whatsoever, why would you want it there in the first place.
The comparison is pointless.

loudness is something for guys who don't know what a high-quality sound is. get some good speakers and you will understand why MBC is not used by most ME's.

I'm not talking about the "loudness" issue here.
Don't you think there are are soundsculpting uses for a MBC other than aiming for louness?

Besides the ME is hardly mastering solely for his own speakers Im afraid.

....and I can assure you there's nothing wrong with my speakers or room.

hey, you oversee all the details in my post. but use MBC if you are happy with it.

Last edited:
Wow, lots of talk on MBC I see why it might cause phases **** ups, but what exactly does that mean OK I have bad phase relationships.... but whats that mean, I can't hear anything different.

Also whats everyones take on harmonic exciters like the ones provided with Izotope ozone?

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Linear phase explained -

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2003/december/text/content2.html

Harmonic exciters are the only thing I can't stand more than MBC. :D

Seriously - If something benefits from BBE SM's or Aural Exciters, there's something that should've been fixed earlier.

Hehe, so what do you do in the mastering stage? just compress cuz thats bout the only thing I see you talking about, everything else you don't seem to like

Like I have to use exciters and saturation effects to get my master to sound right, usually I load up a guitarrig effect on a couple of things in my mix to make it sound warm and saturated

Back