Hip Hop Beats In 3/4 Signature

no ur actually wrong 3/4 is basicaly the same as 6/8 except that the quater note is being split in half so in stead of 3 quaters there are 6 eigth notes the only difference is that the eighth gets the beat rather than the quater which is the same thing as just adding a beat in between every quater__music theory I

3/4 gives a kind of "blues" feeling to your beat. That's very good and unusual. But hard to sing on for the rappers ... But that's also a good way to catch attention.

realmusicceo said:
no ur actually wrong 3/4 is basicaly the same as 6/8 except that the quater note is being split in half so in stead of 3 quaters there are 6 eigth notes the only difference is that the eighth gets the beat rather than the quater which is the same thing as just adding a beat in between every quater__music theory I

And that's what makes 3/4 and 6/8 different. The beat division. 6/8 is divided into two groups of three eighth notes. 3/4 is divided into three quarter notes. That makes 6/8 duple meter and 3/4 triple meter. And no, you can't divide 6/8 into three groups of two eighth notes because that wouldn't place the correct accents on the beat. Therefore, they are different.

And polyrhythm is when one voice is in a particular meter and another voice is in a different meter. Not when a song or composition starts in 4/4 and then switches to something else.

Nobody was talking about starting in 4/4 and switching meter. Lleb was talking about a high hat in 6/8 while the kick and snare are in 4/4, voices with different meters playing simultaneously.

Even still, there are songs that change meter because they can.

"Touch And Go", a hit single by The Cars, has polymetric verses, with the drums and bass playing in 5/4, while the guitar, synthesizer, and vocals are in 4/4 (the choruses are entirely in 4/4) *wiki*

There's no rules for music and there's no music police. They made reason's sequencer capable of changing time signature in the middle of a song because it's a valid musical device.

Last edited:
<p>thats what i said "the only difference is that in 3/4 the quater gets the beat or while in 6/8 the 8th gets the beat ....a quater not can be devided into 2 8th notes therefore 3 quater noes can be devided into 6 eighth notes....no disrespect but the 6/8th meter is like having a beat in between quater in 3/4th meter</p>

Last edited:
Realmusic, 6/8 being duple meter and 3/4 being triple meter makes them different because of the different accents on the beats. See, 6/8 goes strong beat, weak beat, strong beat, weak beat and so on. 3/4 goes strong beat, weak beat, weak beat, strong beat, weak beat, weak beat. That is the difference.

Darko, drums and percussion is still one voice. Touch and go does have polyrhythm but they make it work with each other because of the rests in the vocals and guitar so they can still accent the right beats. But I think I can understand how you get confused with rhythm though. I listened to your beats on soundclick and you do have rhythm issues. By the way, Wikipedia isn't that reliable. It's good but just not that reliable. Pick up a text book. Keep at it. You'll get better with time.

You're offended because you're wrong, so you feel the need to insult. I just wanted to make sure people don't go around repeating false things that u suggest. Go on believing whatever it is you believe. Don't let me stop u.

I mean, you don't technically mix time signatures. A polyrhythm is when you imply another time feel over a time signature i.e. 4 over 3. 2 over 3, 5 over 4, 7 over 4, etc. It's very very common to imply 2 over 3 and 4 over 3, since we're talking about 3/4.

I'm no expert but I think dudes right..if u took offence w/e..but picture music written on a staff paper "stacking time signatures" would NOT work.Because time signatures have dramatic impact on tempo.Which means your melodies are RESTRICTED to the timesig/tempo..music wouldn't make sense if it wasn't like that..correct me if I'm wrong.

<p> </p>
<p>I sincerely apologize i reread the posts that ive made on the topic and rhey do not make sense at all..I feel ashamed being a person who is very big on theory I sincerely apologize if I have mislead anyone and thanks to the guys who corrected me...I also was not offended neither did I mean to offend.....dont hold it against me i really wasnt thinkimg straight</p>

Last edited:
Darko said:
You're offended because you're wrong, so you feel the need to insult. I just wanted to make sure people don't go around repeating false things that u suggest. Go on believing whatever it is you believe. Don't let me stop u.

Buddy, I'm not insulting. I'm just stating the facts. You're off beat. I'm not. And as you can see, renegade and cashfit agree with me. I've been classically trained as a pianist so I know my theory. Just reading Wikipedia doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. I suggest you buy a textbook or two. Until then, keep trying. You'll eventually get rhythm down.

And realmusic, mistakes happen. No hard feelings.

Sonik Beats said:
Buddy, I'm not insulting. I'm just stating the facts. You're off beat. I'm not. And as you can see, renegade and cashfit agree with me. I've been classically trained as a pianist so I know my theory. Just reading Wikipedia doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. I suggest you buy a textbook or two. Until then, keep trying. You'll eventually get rhythm down.

I've read plenty of music textbooks, it's just easier to link to wikipedia than it is to scan in pages from my books.

I gave an example of a popular song in which it works, and you gave a reason why it works. Therefore, it is a valid way to produce music and you know it.

Sonik Beats said:
I find it very tricky to produce in 3/4 timing and not just because it's odd meter. It just feels harder.

That's you. I don't have that problem. maybe your books are full of misprints. You can go back to my soundclick page that has only been updated once in the past 4 years as many times as you like to "prove" you're right, but as tricky as you find 3/4, I understand why you would think they're offbeat.

A lot of my a cappellas are probably not exactly on the beat but I guarantee the instrumentals r not off beat unless I want them to be. U don't like my music, that's fine. I'm used to that. But it's not "wrong" just because u believe in rules that don't exist and I like to put things where they're not expected.

Last edited:
Darko said:
I've read plenty of music textbooks, it's just easier to link to wikipedia than it is to scan in pages from my books.

I gave an example of a popular song in which it works, and you gave a reason why it works. Therefore, it is a valid way to produce music and you know it.

That's you. I don't have that problem. maybe your books are full of misprints. You can go back to my soundclick page that has only been updated once in the past 4 years as many times as you like to "prove" you're right, but as tricky as you find 3/4, I understand why you would think they're offbeat.

A lot of my a cappellas are probably not exactly on the beat but I guarantee the instrumentals r not off beat unless I want them to be. U don't like my music, that's fine. I'm used to that. But it's not "wrong" just because u believe in rules that don't exist and I like to put things where they're not expected.

Darko, get over it; I have better rhythm than you do and that's a fact. I have plenty of textbooks. All of them can't have misprints. I've recently started using Paul Schmeling's Music Theory Book 1 which is for Berklee. BERKLEE.

So here's where your internet beef wit me ends. When you learn rhythm, let me know. I'd be interested in hearing your work after some improvement.

Back