!!!!Help With Scales!!!!

Xabiton

Cupcake God
I mean I know a little bit about musical compositon and all (i emphasise on little)but Ive always wondered how do we know what keys are in what scales? Does this have something to do with the root key at all? Ive heard this term thrown around but im not 100% sure what it means exactly. Does it just mean the key that the song is written in? And how do I know what key a song is written in is it because of the root key? Im very very lost I want to learn more on composition as far as writing music is concerned but I have a quite small idea about how to actually write it versus playing it by ear. Please help

"What keys are in what scales"? This doesn't make any sense dude. When you said you know a "little about music" I think you meant "nada". Which is cool...
"root key" is not a term. Either you made that up or whoever you learned it from was wasted. But, i think I know what you mean. The word is simply "key" as in, "What key is this piece/song in?"
The term "root" refers specifically to the root (or bass note) of a chord. As in, "The root of an Ab7#9 chord is Ab."
To determine the key of a piece, LISTEN to it. If it's a tonally centered piece, it will resolve to it's 1 Chord. The root of the 1 chord is your key (major or minor). If you can't hear the resolution to the 1, or if you can't tell if it's major or minor, then don't go into music. I hear accounting is a very stable profession.
A "scale" is a series of notes that comprise all the notes diatonic to any given key. If the key is A Major, an A major scale applies. If it's Bb minor, a Bb minor scale applies. However, different chords imply different scales. If your tune is in Eb major, but you throw an A7 in the mix, you don't play an Eb major scale..you play an A mixolydian scale, or an A altered scale, or whatever scale you want to play that applies.
Listen man, there's a virtually infinite amount of books published on the subjects of western harmony, Eastern Harmony, serial harmony, atonal harmony, jazz theory, chord/scale theory, composition, orchestration, arranging etc... This topic is WAY to vast to even begin to touch upon in a forum.
I recommend you delve DEEPLY into MANY of these books, take classes with respected authorities on the subject, and dedicate YEARS of your life studying your ass off just like every other repectable musician in the industry did. I'm not sure why people think they can post "How do I do harmony?" and get the magical answer that will give them skills. Dude, there are no quick tricks to this, so if you seriously want to learn, put your nose in a book, and your ears in some headphones for the next rest of your life.
Check out respected music stores and book store for volumes on the subject.

Ud luck.

I dont remember where i found the term root keys but i do think u answered my question u did it in a nasty way but u did it. And i do appriciate that but if u didnt want to answer it then dont answer it. I wasnt asking how do i make harmonies or how do i make music i was mainly asking how to find out what key a song is written in. I know how to make things that are on key by playing and listening to them and I know some basic theory but I want to learn more which is why i asked the question. Is this forum to help people learn or not? u could have answered my question without the negative comments and what not. But what u did say about finding the key of the song makes sense.

Hi XABITON:cool:
I here what u saying about Music theory
Its not easy to pick up all the terms used in Music, U sound as if u re doing whats Important and thats simply using u re ears, but It does help to have the patter
I d say try Books etc On music theory as theres some great ones out there that start from Beats to the bar crotchets quavers etc and take u right through Music theory It does start to become more clear
Keep doin what u re Doin
urban777:cheers:

Xabition sometimes when people learn a little bit on a subject they think they are experts and become what we call a "know it all".(god forbid they went to school for it, then they believe they invented "music") Most times know it all's are smart allec jerks, that feel your ignorance is disgusting. In turn they feel the need to belittle you and then throw around their "knowledge" to intimidate, and attempt to make themselves look good, thinking people will respect them causing them to feel good about themselves.

Most times these people are all theory and no talent. And while theory is important, talent is even more so. Keep doing what your doing Xabition. Your on the right track. Let the know it alls do what they do, and when you get your music theory down, never become like them.
-Ajari-
:cheers:

thank you for ur support everyone the links here are very helpful I thought I was following correctly but I dont want to fall off key and I want to know the technical keys that go together just more so as a reference I know most of it is ear but i think these links will answer a lot of questions

Ajari i couldnt have said it betta man. And Shnurgle, when he asked "what keys are in what scales?" didn't make sense to u but made alot to me. Wanting to know what notes are in which scales. The most common scales Xabiton are major and minor. You should learn those scales down first, then go on to dimished, augmented, and so on. But yeah you're on the right track man. Technical is good as a reference.

That link THM posted is a good link. "Root Key" is a term and it refers to the original key that the a scale is played in. And it doesn't take a LOOOONG time to learn it man. I learned alot of the technical parts of music: scales, chords, and readin and writin music efficiently in maybe a lil over a year. I learned from the Standard of Excellence book when i was playin a trumpet. That helped me ALOTTT. Just stay with it man and maybe in one to two straight years you'll learn bout music theory alot (if u learning on the side).

But just learning your main two scales first (major and minors) will be of great help when making music most of the time man.

I remember them Standard of Excelence books, I never got the privellege to use one, but I've heard their good for secondary school kids in aiding them in the right path.

I would also aree that major and minor scales are the first thing to learn.

However, what I believe to be also important is the ratio factor. Once you know C major, you know them all, it's the same with minors, aug, dim, modal, chromatic.

Also, having read shnurgle's post, he seems to have givem the most accurate level of knowledge your after, I suggest you read that as it gives a more detailed explanation of what ur trying to achieve.

Ajari, plz get off ur high horse man! :) chill. We may be know-it-all's or at least percieved to be such, but I believe it comes down to helping what ppl are asking. ppl are asking about technical-level things and all some ppl can do is say "just be creative" or some other kind of unrealistic .... that just doesn't give any help whatsoever. So I'm a know-it-all, we can't all be perfect like you. Admitedly I believe it comes with the territory, the more you know, th more you want to flaunt it, the more music u write, the more u want to flaunt it, I admit it and have to live with it, but can u admit jealousy? I'm not saying you are, so plz don't take it the wrong way, but this is how ur personality comes across in the past few posts you have made. I don't want to make an argument out of it, and like you say this forum is for helping ppl and without mincing my words (coz u've certainly not been!!) I believe that my posts have been helpful in the extreme, mine and a small handful of others - which is what matters! that ppl learn from those more experienced. So plz get off ur high horse and stop showing jealousy (coz it doesn't suit you - I always thought of you an excelent musician and always beared ur comments in mind, plz let's not ruin that)

That's all I have to say in the matter.

James it just makes me upset when people go around bullying less knowledgeful people. Making them feel like an idiot is not helping them. I am not wrong that the person that "helped" Xabition in this thread treated him like crap, because he made the argument before I did. Someone made the same argument about you in another thread the other day. You were very nasty to them for no reason. I just don't understand how someone can talk to another man in that tone when it's not pravoked. And whats even worse, you try and justify it. And as far as your jealousy comment goes, what do I have to be jealous about? Your short temper? Your poison tongue? Your ego? I don't need any of that. I know what I am capable of and I am learning and growing everyday just like you. All I'm trying to say is, just be cool man. Theres no reason or need to hurt people, down talk someone for no reason at all, just because they ask a question in Future Producers.com. When we know nothing we ask silly questions. They already feel stupid enough for not making sense or not knowing what they are trying to express. Theres no need to toss and rub it back in their face. When I need help in the future I am definatley comming to you. I just hope you treat me with the same respect I give to you. That's all I ask.
-Ajari-

Last edited:
Sounds Fair :) *shakes hands and makes up* [in a non-gay way of course] ;)

shnurgle said:

The term "root" refers specifically to the root (or bass note) of a chord. As in, "The root of an Ab7#9 chord is Ab."

A "scale" is a series of notes that comprise all the notes diatonic to any given key. If the key is A Major, an A major scale applies. If it's Bb minor, a Bb minor scale applies. However, different chords imply different scales. If your tune is in Eb major, but you throw an A7 in the mix, you don't play an Eb major scale..you play an A mixolydian scale, or an A altered scale, or whatever scale you want to play that applies.
well, #1, the root is not the same as the bass... #2, a scale is not always diatonic... i don't think you should bully the guy around and not know what you're talking about lol

www.musictheory.net is a nice site for beginners.

Over time you should be able to hear when something is out of key. Most theory classes teach ear training and it helps production greatly.

Some people have what they call perfect pitch meaning they can tell when something is off key without any training. These people often dont know any theory but still make great music. I think J-Traxx from this site is the perfect example.

Peace

Somewhat Komplex, but perfect pitch is the ability to point out the exact pitch of a sound/note internally without any help...like example: without any keyboard or other type of aid with you. Perfect pitch is rare. My brother has it and he can tell me the exact notes being played in a song when listening to the radio in the car or other places, even if he never heard the song. If you have perfect pitch, you can also tell what key a song is being played in with no kind of external aid also. Pretty neat for when me an my brother plays live, especially when there's a bunch of old people who sing not so well lol.

The definition you gave is actually relative pitch, I have that, but its something everybody can acquire with practice if they arent born with it. Not as good as perfect pitch but its better than nothing, and very helpful heh. Plus you have to know some kinda theory if you can tell what sounds good or not whether it's taught to you by someone else or self taught.

Im still having issues finding out exactly what I want although all the sites helped me alot on learning new things. I guess the thing I really am looking for are things to help with "ear training" I have a little bit but even with the little I do have I still tend to fall off key I would like something I can use as a reference mainly when sampling.

KomplexBeats said:
www.musictheory.net is a nice site for beginners.

Over time you should be able to hear when something is out of key. Most theory classes teach ear training and it helps production greatly.

Some people have what they call perfect pitch meaning they can tell when something is off key without any training. These people often dont know any theory but still make great music. I think J-Traxx from this site is the perfect example.

Peace

Sounds like my Buddy Klutz
http://klutz.vgmidi.com/music.php

Phazer_Effect said:
The definition you gave is actuall...___________________________ I like you Ajari

Last edited:
there's a big discussion about whether you can go to perfect pitch from relative pitch. I personally belive that some people can achieve perfect picht by practice, but not everybody. Its helpfull but not necessary if you wanna be a good musician.

Back