Has the internet killed the word - UNDERGROUND... Check this out...

B

biggrome

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361680

^^^^ You can get top level spit from indie artists, you may have already known this. You don't have to be force fed.

My question is... does indie artists being so accessible lessen their impact in your eye?

Shout out to my man Statixx... if you have time to read this, you have time to drop a comment. You know its only right.

What's your favorite joint on the mixtape? So here - is mine.

Statixx shats on Mac Miller...

Last edited by a moderator:
One word... No.

I understand what you are saying.
However; it comes down to those promo/marketing dollars.
If a project doesn't go "viral" then it still will be hard to find information or material that's relevant to you.
Like I've told several local artist you can have the cure for cancer but if you don't get it in front of the right eyes then it will go unnoticed... hidden online.:bigeyes:

Last edited:
I don't think "underground" is defined by availability, It's mostly music that doesn't appeal to the "majority" of people.

I can go out in Holland and buy an Ill Bill record at almost every record shop out here, but he's still "underground".

It's not even "underground" if the name ain't paid for. A lot of imaginary companies that need to make themselves official. So we need a name for the names that are unpaid. Alot people use the word wrong.....screaming their company name like it's real or something.

Ohhh.....nevermind me! I'll check out the mixtape. :cheers:

Last edited:
The internet def waters down music....

The availability of everything is crazy.

I do agree with the one dude who said..even if your really good, without the right marketing you can be swept under the rug.

Thanks for the support FP! I appreciate it. Dont hesitate to contact me...were all just regular people behind this computer screen.

Last edited:
good sht statixx! i liked the beat in sea of nightmares im still listening to the tape thats just the song im currently at lol

Can I ask, why do people want their favorite "underground" artist to go unknown except to a handful of people?

For instance, I've been on Joe Budden since 2002, before Pump It Up we're talking when he made "When Thugs Cry" etc. When Pump It Up came out everybody was on Budden, never once did I bash anybody claiming that I liked Budden WAY before them, which I hear a lot of today.

If you're a fan of some indie Hip-Hop artist, someone you will discuss them with has "been a fan for much longer." This type of pretentious thinking is what ruins Hip-Hop, and indie music in general. As soon as an artist gets play (i.e. Oddfuture) people abandon ship, because it's no longer cool to like the artist. Watch how quick the Oddfuture fans dismiss them because they MIGHT sign with Steve Rifkind.

We as fans are fickle, plain and simple. The internet didn't ruin indie Hip-Hop; the fans did.

I guess the word UNDERGROUND means different things to different people.

To me (and back in the day), it meant "not on the radio yet, not mainstream yet".... you could only get the songs from other people that either made mixtapes (real ones on cassettes n ish or CD's) and the word had to be spread about the artists by word of mouth. The minute the artist was "ABLE" to gain mass appeal... they were no longer underground - they CAME FROM the underground... now they were main stream to some degree. People didn't leave 'em but they were "available" to everyone that knew where a Tower Records was.

The internet and popular mixtape sites make artist available to everyone instantly. So I was wondering how some of these "old school" terms are still relevant. Is there still such a thing as underground. Is Wale underground? Curren$y? and all the rest that keep getting into those freshman class categories.... you can only catch most of 'em on the internet... but you can get other artists that are just as good or better (Statixx, Modus, Big Won, SK Magnum, etc) also.

Can't believe everybody that viewed this thread didn't hit up Statixx's thread. Show some support, dude has never had an e-fight with anybody on here. His mixtape is worth the listen, you'll see that SELF-MADE RELEASES today have more quality than some mainstream music a few years ago.

I think all of the FP Featured Artists should all drop a new joint and make the FP "mixtape" or at least take your favorite song and get all in one spot.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Is Gucci Underground?

There's no underground with the internet... time to throw out some new lingo.

I guess the word UNDERGROUND means different things to different people.

To me (and back in the day), it meant "not on the radio yet, not mainstream yet".... you could only get the songs from other people that either made mixtapes (real ones on cassettes n ish or CD's) and the word had to be spread about the artists by word of mouth. The minute the artist was "ABLE" to gain mass appeal... they were no longer underground - they CAME FROM the underground... now they were main stream to some degree. People didn't leave 'em but they were "available" to everyone that knew where a Tower Records was.

The internet and popular mixtape sites make artist available to everyone instantly. So I was wondering how some of these "old school" terms are still relevant. Is there still such a thing as underground. Is Wale underground? Curren$y? and all the rest that keep getting into those freshman class categories.... you can only catch most of 'em on the internet... but you can get other artists that are just as good or better (Statixx, Modus, Big Won, SK Magnum, etc) also.

Can't believe everybody that viewed this thread didn't hit up Statixx's thread. Show some support, dude has never had an e-fight with anybody on here. His mixtape is worth the listen, you'll see that SELF-MADE RELEASES today have more quality than some mainstream music a few years ago.

I think all of the FP Featured Artists should all drop a new joint and make the FP "mixtape" or at least take your favorite song and get all in one spot.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Is Gucci Underground?

There's no underground with the internet... time to throw out some new lingo.

Gucci should be buried underground, that's about it.

I would say anybody without a contract from one of the main record labels is indie. I no longer use the term underground. Because like you said, music is no longer distributed in an underground manner.

I mean, an indie artist can catch a bigger buzz on the street if he knows how market correctly than a new 50 album could (not because 50 fell off) but because a lot of these big execs REALLY aren't as in tune with their audience as they think they are. 50 Cent is a great example, he markets himself now. Through the ThisIs50 website, giving away free music damn near daily, getting in touch with indie producers on twitter; 50 now has the indie artist mindset, because it works better than a billboard.

The term underground can be linked with the underground railroad. Something which was kept a huge secret (for obvious reasons) and only known by few. When I think underground music, this is how I associate it. In 2011, I no longer see this as a proper association since as I said, indie artists can garner HUGE buzz now without a major record label. Therefore, NOT having a record deal does not constitute an artist as being underground.

I have become to think that Gucci relates to a large population of illiterate listeners... and to others he's just catchy. (A lot of illiterate people around... I heard some stats yesterday...)

I like Gucci... I didn't always. I stopped listening so seriously. I would rather listen to Gucci vs. the new Lupe Fiasco release...

Underground also used to mean rare...

What would be a word that describes underground as it relates to cyberspace?

Just in case you didn't read the first page... click this link...

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361680

I have become to think that Gucci relates to a large population of illiterate listeners... and to others he's just catchy.

I like Gucci... I didn't always. I stopped listening so seriously. I would rather listen to Gucci vs. the new Lupe Fiasco release...

Underground also used to mean rare...

Not a Lasers fan? See, I rather enjoyed Lasers because I took it for face value. A more "mainstream" album than what Lupe has released in the past. If you go into Lasers expecting to hear Food & Liquor Part 2; you won't like it. But I purchased the iTunes pass, so I heard it "leak" track by track over a couple of weeks and knew what I was in for. I wouldn't say this is my favorite Lu album, but I would say it's better than most "mainstream" material. Yes, even Gucci, so I can't agree with you there.

Although, I could see why some Lupe fans wouldn't like it, but you also gotta understand artists sometimes have to change up. If you really listen to Lasers, there is a lot of deep thought there; not a ton of wordplay however. It's just glossed over literally with pop-ish beats. I believe the beat selection and even some of the song selection had a lot to do with Atlantic and not Fiasco himself. This album was almost never released by Atlantic, because they felt it wasn't radio friendly. However, damn near every track is radio friendly, even the lyrics are cleaned up as far as cursing goes. I do have to believe a lot of that has to do with Atlantic. As proud as I'm sure Lupe is of his work, I'm sure there's more we would've heard had he been given more freedom like he had with Food and The Cool.

I stopped listening to Gucci as soon as I heard that "Gucci do da dishes"

I don't really listen to music that hard on the first listen. I just need to know if all of the elements are there. Sometimes I'll skip a song before the person starts rapping if the beat ain't hittin. If the beat doesn't move me... nothing they can say can keep me interested. If the beat is there and the cadence of the rhymes is good... I'll let it play without caring what they're saying. On about the 4th of 5th listen, I'll tune in and listen to the lyrics.

.... if an intro is too long, I'll probably skip the song... 8 bars is all they get to get it poppin'...

Is there still such a thing as underground.

good question...

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

I no longer use the term underground. Because like you said, music is no longer distributed in an underground manner.

so then what about the terms "mainstream"? and "commercial"?

"indie" = non-mainstream? or non-commercial?

is this underground....

I would say that fits the underground mold....

I still make underground music... I love it. Sounds good in my car (shrug)

STATIXX - BOOM BAP MUSIC
- Bigg Rome Golden Era Remix

^^^ even has a clock ticking in it (rewinding time)

The voice that keeps repeating is Statixx's voice ran through THE MOUTH vsti...

.... will do an updated one this weekend (gotta take some stuff out of this one...)

I don't think the underground term is gone nor outdated. There are still a lot of underground artists technically. I'd consider Modus and Statixxx one because we're not hearing their music pushed like crazy like everyone else. I think the underground is just noisy and crowded now with no one really listening.

I think the underground is just noisy and crowded now with no one really listening.

Sigh.
I wish I could yell at you and argue with this but I can't.

It sucks for all us artists who spent years perfecting our craft only to find our society would rather listen to someone who started 6 months ago.

As far as I see if there won't be new underground artists until the popular ones die. When people think "underground" a lot of people think of people like Mos Def, Talib, Atmosphere, Immortal Technique, etc. Despite being off the mainstream radar their all fairly well known.
Partially because they have all been doing this for a long time; so as an underground artist its essentially impossible to ever get to the level of these dudes until they die or some shit. I wouldn't personally consider these guys underground; but I mostly enjoy listening to nobodies I find on youtube so what do I know.

But then; there's other dudes that are kinda underground but I can't for the life of me figure out how these dudes got a buzz. Example: Asher Roth, Charles Hamilton, etc etc etc. How did these guys get a name. I don't get how this industry works and I probably never will. It all seems about as random as the lottery to me.

Last edited:
Back