FP is this really as currupt as they say

TeddyB2011

@TeddyBDaPrime
so im writing this paper and i know underground is better than mainstream lyrical wise but going into more detail.. do you think that artist who are signed to BIG "Major Record Labels" loose their "artism" from what actually got them noticed? do you think artist can do better without all the mainstream hype and just make good quality music and rhymes. Im just a producer but in my opinion the artist can do better without certain record labels. mainstream music is good in clubs and to bump in the car but when i get tired of listening to the same type of music i go to the underground music like Big K.R.I.T. Bun B and UGK or maybe OutKast and Lil wayne from back in the day (There is a major difference from wayne now and wayne from 5-10 yrs ago).. what is your opinion? im looking for both artists and producer input

The mainstream industry is like a machine that is basically feeding you ideas shaping our society and generation. Look at these clowns like Riff Raff and V-Nasty..they are a product of this machine of brainwashing and manipulation.

It's not just music though, it's also mainstream movies They differ a LOT from eastern films in terms or morality. Also television, take shows like bad girls club and basketball wives for example

The Industry machine preaches materialism, greediness, selfishness, hate, egotism/selfishness..what this whole damn country is about..I was in jail for 5 months so that is why I was able to see this...you won't really see it until you've been taken out of this society for a while or part of an older generation

You will have more creative freedom doing your own indie projects ...the internet has made it so you really don't need the industry anymore, you can pick your own content that you want to see and hear and get your projects directly to fans and listeners . This isn't just for music though, this goes for game developers, film makers, animators, artists, etc.

I work with game developers and a lot of them have left the mainstream game industry to go work on their own indie projects since there is more creative freedom and the lifestyle is better. Your not working as a slave for a corporate white collar trying to make more money

Last edited:
The mainstream industry is like a machine that is basically feeding you ideas shaping our society and generation. Look at these clowns like Riff Raff and V-Nasty..they are a product of this machine of brainwashing and manipulation.

It's not just music though, it's also mainstream movies They differ a LOT from eastern films in terms or morality. Also television, take shows like bad girls club and basketball wives for example

The Industry machine preaches materialism, greediness, selfishness, hate, egotism/selfishness..what this whole damn country is about..I was in jail for 5 months so that is why I was able to see this...you won't really see it until you've been taken out of this society for a while or part of an older generation

I don't know that I would say you have to be removed from society to see it. I was removed from Scociety for a longer period then 5 months myself and without a doubt the world looks different to you but I wouldn't really put music into that equation. Music is personal taste key word personal the problem today is cats don't have their own taste they just follow fads.

I do agree with the rest of your statement The mainstream industry is like a machine and unfortunately it is working for them so it will continue this way. having said that its the same in all genres of music you have your commercial stuff which is most of the time cookie cutter garbage and your underground music which is where cats like myself find talent to be. don't get me wrong not all underground music is good there is some garbage there as well. just as not all commercial music sucks.

To me underground pushes the envelope. Also the being hungry mentality is strong in the underground and a lot of artists lose that when they get some success. and I truly believe it effects their craft and originality or lack of it.

Nothing is wrong with mainstream other than the fact that they think too hard on shit to reach certain goals. So artist A has talent and skill but "they think" artist A should put this out or since this one song was a success they should continue to build around being just that. And the funny thing is that the underground rappers people say is great lyrically do not sell because even the fanbase who love lyricism in rap music don't want to buy their music. It's more to selling "mainstream" than good lyrics......if you sound like a chump but the lyrics are good.....well..... . The problem with underground is a lot of people call themselves underground but they don't have enough power and hustle by themselves to start a movement great enough to reach a fanbase.....and the ones that do will not not refuse that opportunity to to tell their fans they are signed to or collaborating with mainstream labels and rappers because money talks when your stomach is growling. Rappers like Tech 9ne and Ice Cube can do what they want because of their formula......in otherwords.....they paid their dues enough to do whatever they want and say what they feel in the underground. It's more to it than lyrics....it's a movement that has to take place in mainstream or underground......either one can have one hit wonders. Lil B has a movement.....he will survive of his movement.....as well as OFWGKTA........but that skillfully lyrical dude dressed like your average dude.......nope...I don't care how dope he is, he is one of million mo fos so he sounds the same as them even if he's different.....no movement behind him. Rick Ross had a hell of a movement...Shady and GUnit had a hell of a movement...Death Row.No Limit..Cash Money..Bad Boy..So So Def...hell of a movement. Those are formulas that the smaller movements of tomorrow need to follow...because today these mo fos is weak as hell....put their selves out before they put artist out....when they need as many great artis as possible coming out every month....small and big.....the fuuck wrong with these mo fos? It's like they are scared of putting artist out and would rather stick to who is hot on their team and let others be features here and there......whereas a real movement as a label is putting out compilations, artist featured on some of everything, albums lined up. The way shit is running now, a person would be a fool to sign any contracts. Better off doing shows for free, then get paid for shows, all while giving your mixtape away.....and laugh at these scary ass mo fos face with their chest stuck out because they have a name to say they represent and want your name on a dotted line.

The fun and IDGAF press record of this rap shit is missing from the talented........the ones who DGAF and people say are lyrically garbage are what attracks attention. Even with beats, the shit I'll bullshit around with real quick for a laugh or something 80% of the time is the shit people respond to. Play a serious beat you made and then play a sesame street loop with a kick or snare............it'll be like fuuck everything else......everybody freestyling and shit all of a sudden......tomorrow talking about "I ripped that sesame shit yesterday, son!!

just my 2 cent.

Last edited:
^^^^^^it's all about a movement. And a movement is not easy. Movements take time. The movement of hip hop has faded. When it was Bad Boy you had plenty of artist, albums, music, and shit going on every year. That has faded in hip hop now. It's not dead, it's faded until another Master P comes around and becomes the blame of being the influence of negativity in the youth.

The mainstream industry is like a machine that is basically feeding you ideas shaping our society and generation

all facts...

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

The Industry machine preaches materialism, greediness, selfishness, hate, egotism/selfishness..what this whole damn country is about

gospel...

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

The movement of hip hop has faded

movements have GOALS.

what was the goal of the Hip-Hop "movement"??? and was it achieved?

The mainstream industry is like a machine that is basically feeding you ideas shaping our society and generation.

I wouldn't necessarily say it like that.

IMO Its more like "the mainstream industry capitalizes on the creativity and individualism of people and exploits the trends of the youth with little to no regard for the influence and outcome it causes."

Like they say...,"As long as it sells............"

Capitalism at its finest.

all facts...

movements have GOALS.

what was the goal of the Hip-Hop "movement"??? and was it achieved?

Example..... No Limited albums flooded the streets like no other because of the movement which includes the covers, features, production, and other stuff you expect from a No Limit record. Today that same movement is going on more than ever by a multitude of people.........FOR FREE!!!!! If people were downloading mixtapes like we were buying albums from the store then we would have more artist achieving their goals.....more Whiz's and more Drakes.....but we have to wait until it gets hot to even consider downloading it FOR FREE!!!! That's the movement of hip hop today. Dudes talking about their work ethic on some free shit........and the people with waaaaaaaaay less downloads than them may work 4 times as hard and have 4 times as many mixtapes and each one sounds 4 times better that his most downloaded. Their was a phase that says "women lie, men lie numbers don't" and it fooled a lot of people into thinking that if numbers are high on something it must be good.......no........it could mean a lot of people were fooled because they got it and it sucks. And them same foos will buy the next one just in hopes it's better.....and the next one, also. Hip hop's "freedom" has turned it into a joke. I love it all from the East to the West to Down here.......but I ain't about to be on Datpif daily trying to get new music. It better say 25k on that *****. lol

does that mean you're a follower?

No. Just a person that needs a reason to listen to one out of 1,489349,3489383 mixtapes when it comes to music I don't know about. It can't be based on the covers any more though a cover can be a reason I would skip a mixtape taday. Whereas majority of the underground albums I bought were based on relation to what I have heard first (example features from other artist I've heard), title second, album cover third, and track titles forth. And after a while the covers got old to me because all of them looked the same, the track titles looked the same. After the purchase it might be good or bad...either way I'll tell others to check it out or don't waste their time. Now.........imagine everyday giving people the scoop on over 20 mixtapes that are hot and just came out today. That's a 9 to 5, not a listening to enjoy thing. I bought a good 4 to 7 albums a week ($100 bill gone easily on music good or bad). Even if it's all good how could a person enjoy all of it? It's too much.

First off nothing has changed there has always been a commercial side and an underground to hip hop. I have always been a fan of underground. We don't need a movement what is this occupy wall street lol. Would it be nice if real talent was recognized by all? Yes of coarse it would. And I have felt that way since hip hops inception.

People are dumbed down and they would rather hear garbage cookie cutter shit. That's not new either. Music fans are attracted to talent driven music the rest like cookie cutter shit.

What has changed is how cats get their music. These changes are what has caused artists in the underground to have to rely on shows to bring in income. Instead of shows coupled with record sales. There is no movement that will bring back big bucks to record labels those days are gone for good. Unfortunately the mainstream cats are still going to clock the most money. Like they always have since day one.

First off nothing has changed there has always been a commercial side and an underground to hip hop. I have always been a fan of underground. We don't need a movement what is this occupy wall street lol. Would it be nice if real talent was recognized by all? Yes of coarse it would. And I have felt that way since hip hops inception.

People are dumbed down and they would rather hear garbage cookie cutter shit. That's not new either. Music fans are attracted to talent driven music the rest like cookie cutter shit.

What has changed is how cats get their music. These changes are what has caused artists in the underground to have to rely on shows to bring in income. Instead of shows coupled with record sales. There is no movement that will bring back big bucks to record labels those days are gone for good. Unfortunately the mainstream cats are still going to clock the most money. Like they always have since day one.

Music has changed tremendously. lol! You still can't get some of those old school unheard of records for "FREE" and it was created and meant to be "FREE". Without a movement no one survives in music......never in the history of music has anyone had longevity in music without a movement. You have to have a movement to even get "show money". Anybody can't just be like "hey, forget a deal I'm doing shows and and going to make money doing it". It might happen because of a contest to see who will open up for an artist "who has a small or large movement" going on. And how are people "getting to" good music when it's so much good and bad underground music out? That means some good ones are being missed by many............why..........because they have no movement power...their music is just there like "hey I'm here if you bump into me some way some how.. If you post a new rapper you think is dope and I like it, and I tell some people about it, and they tell people about it......that's the start of a movement the same as if you were to post someone so terrible that it has to be "heard". The internet is a small problem but not an excuse. The problem is not illegal downloads, but the high number of material to listen to...so you best to have some type of movement. Dubstep for example, sure every young dude with a demo version of Massive wants to make wobbles, and even if those wobbles are dope, he is not going to be Skrillex or Flux for it......he has no movement. It takes a movement to appear on top of everybody and everything out there.

Movement - an abundance of events and incidences.

Having good music is a start..so what next? Because the next man has good music too. And the next man. And the next man. But there is one man on stage rocking that shit.....rocking it.....meaning the crowd knowing some words to it and stuff.

Movement.

Last edited:
PREACH RICE! It's always been about what sets you apart from others on the market but with the internet and new technology in general, the market has expanded and became global. Before, you might have had to compete with a couple thousand cats pushin mixtapes and street albums in your neighborhood, region, state, etc, but now you're competing with all the cats out there that even think about releasing a project. Also, another thing thats changed is the popularity of rap. Now that everyone thinks they can rap/produce and everyone has a 'mixtape' that their workin on, you now have to compete with alot more hobby rappers/producers then you used to, and they're even more of a threat than other serious artists cus the mainstream market supports, promotes and endorses music that they push (Jerk rap, etc). What really sets you apart now a days is your own individuality, you have to make a niche for yourself and find a market to push it to. Once that market grows you can become more 'mainstream' through recognition. I consider a 'movement' as part of that niche that sets you apart from the rest of the community for example, Kendrick Lamar and TDE or HiiiPoWer or Tyler The Creator and OFWGKA

Last edited:
Back