FP is growing..... Blam! Reggae forum

ok some one please explain to me what exactly "dancehall" is
maybe a sample or 2 would help....thanks guys:cheers:

Yeah, i didn't know what it was either.
But Music-is-it's post gives some examples.. I never heard of dancehall before coming to FP though :D

If you dont know then you just werent meant to...

If you dont know then you just werent meant to...

dont mean to sound like a prick but ...damn....what you all been listenin to??? (britney?...hmmm?)

ok, well, check out horace andy's "spying glass" for some roots type stuff and then proceed to modern times with beenie man and supacat....continue on your long and wonderfull journey to all forms of non top40 pop crap and check out dancehalls "sister", dub reggae. start with king tubby and proceed to mad professor and sly and robbie and youll be like "damn!! thievery corporation isnt really very original at all!!" there just biting an old style....just like with rock and roll.....all invented by africans and blacks and made popular by whites.

peace and respect.

dont mean to sound like a prick but ...damn....what you all been listenin to??? (britney?...hmmm?)

there are other styles of music than dancehall..dont expect everyone to have encountered every type of music..

:)

so If Sean Paul is a example of dance hall --then I am gathering it is kinda a pop spring of reggae??like all comercial and dancy style?
Inform my ignorant a$$ if you must--
-I do know alot about music and different styles---I just always get a vague answer when it comes to this matter.

faster reggae done a little on the synthy side is the best way i can break it down...

i like the dub and roots reggae a bit more so i can't name any dance hall artists off hand..

I don't believe there is one answer

there are the foundation tunes by the artists soulkraka mentioned. these tunes are often called dancehall

then there is the cousin of hip hop dancehall. production values are very similar to hip hop but there are differences in patterning. Hip hops snares or claps land on 2nd and 4th beats of a bar (5 & 13). Dancehall's tend to land on 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 (7 & 15)

greensleeves is one of the largest dancehall record companies.

http://hosted.greensleeves.easynet.co.uk/

wanna hear dancehall?

wonpeace, thats a great way to explain dancehall. I get the feeling that most HAVE heard it but just dont realize it.

Try this: any reason users program the following drum pattern on redrum.
kick on steps 1, 4, 9, 12
snare on steps 7, 15
tempo about 110 bpm
now imagine an islander (jamaican, dominican) flowing over that beat and your hearing dancehall......

ya mon, I and I this is how we run tings.

reply to nicknack

nicknack, yes sean paul is an example but in my opinion dancehall is not very commercial at all. there are always a few dancehall artists that blowup but generally speaking its underground club music. If you live in a metropolitan area theres probably a club that plays dancehall. here in LA there are many, jamaica gold for instance.

BTW,shabba ranks is a dancehall artist who was big in the 80's

Yea man!

dancehall and hip hop is bredda and sista (brother and sister) or simply, closely related. Each comming from roots rock reggae, native to jamaica.

hip hop beats are that way because rappershave a different accent and patois. from that of dJ's (this is what we call dancehall artiste) . jamaican artiste uses the local creole to flow over our hard core danchall beats.

trust me, once you understand what we say, you'll find out that is is a very interesting Genre,

yea, we have dj battles, but much more violent and usually, they are legal when done (at yearly stage shows in front of about 20,000 people)

y'all dont know dancehall if u dont hear :

*super cat
*shabba ranks
Ninja Man!!
*bounty killer
beenie man
*capleton
VIBz Cartel * are my favourites

man, reggae is my roots and i cant get enough of these artistes

ina mi carl kani
with a bottle of tall kani(drinks)
tough, a lie?
spliff a light spliff so till' we high
cork a fly
crate a guiness pile up ina the sky
woman a watch we like a spy
Cartel nuh shy guy......

check these artiste out on IMESH, esp VIBZ CARTEL!!

Last edited:
I am loving vibz, bounty, (the new and in key) sizzla, ghost, roundhead & ward 21

but does anybody rate Hawkeye?

Vybez is blowing up the spot right now, anybody hear him track on di time travel riddim? **** is bad like ras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back