Former CEO of Open Labs starts NEW COMPANY...

No hate....just trying to understand the economics...excuse the crude approach. I'm a creature of habit.

Overall, Focusrite has a more positive sigma than Presonus...I could give a **** about either or to be truthful.

Fantoms are romplers tho so unless you are also including the NI Komplete bundle...no comparison.

This is why those CoreMC's are expensive...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101100
$500 more can complete the package to match AND include something like an EMU 1010 pci interface for MUCH cheaper.

Ummm...that's an empty case. No processor. No RAM. No hard drive. No Operating System. No software.

$500 more fam lol

ok bad example. No counting for labor, and the ability to find cheaper PC componets etc. you win. ;)

I see what you were saying. My bad.

Still...you get the point.

It's cheaper if you build a car and a house yourself too...that doesn't really mean that you should. :)

From what I can see the iKeydock is the one of the worlds most expensive midi controllers

Just give up now playa, you are not going to convince Troup otherwise. There is a market for everyone. Just agree to disagree. I think that for me, it is a little overpriced, but that is my opinion, so I am obviously not their market.

I really find it quite comical that people who stole their software off the Internet can say something is over priced.

If course it's over priced as compared to the FREE stuff y'all have now!

I really find it quite comical that people who stole their software off the Internet can say something is over priced.

If course it's over priced as compared to the FREE stuff y'all have now!

Are you referring to me, because I personally think that the iKeyDock is overpriced, and I am not running pirated software on my setup. I am primarily hardware based, and only use Cubase AI and Cubase LE for the most part, both free with my soundcard and Motif XS6 purchases.

Why can't someone come on here, and give their opinion without you reverting back to the status quo of claiming they just can't afford it. Just because someone doesn't think a product is for them doesn't mean their budget can't afford it. The list price of a Motif is a lot more than an iKeyDock.

Just give up now playa, you are not going to convince Troup otherwise. There is a market for everyone. Just agree to disagree. I think that for me, it is a little overpriced, but that is my opinion, so I am obviously not their market.

You're right but someone has to voice the other side.. otherwise people will be led astray by marketing gimmicks and flashing lights.

I'm sure there are people who are wealthy enough that value for money doesn't matter to them. They're probably not on this site though.

As for the Ikeydock. I'd be surprised if they sold 100 of them at that price.

Are you referring to me, because I personally think that the iKeyDock is overpriced, and I am not running pirated software on my setup. I am primarily hardware based, and only use Cubase AI and Cubase LE for the most part, both free with my soundcard and Motif XS6 purchases.

Why can't someone come on here, and give their opinion without you reverting back to the status quo of claiming they just can't afford it. Just because someone doesn't think a product is for them doesn't mean their budget can't afford it. The list price of a Motif is a lot more than an iKeyDock.

Actually, I was not referring to you specifically. You're not the first person on here to say that phrase.

Ummm...that's an empty case. No processor. No RAM. No hard drive. No Operating System. No software.

what about the ikeydock? it really does just seem like a midi controller with an audio interface, and that the only advantage of having one would be to save a bit of space. at least with maschine besides being a third of the price and having real pads you're getting a huge sample library that's been heavily updated for free. plus having to have your computer on the right side seems like a pain in the ass, moreso than the studioblade because laptops don't have a swivel touch screen.

not saying this to hate but i'm saying it because im being required to have a macbook which is also going to be an upgrade from my old PC. the keydock seemed like a nice accessory at first but it really doesn't do much, and i like my maschine which is going to be in my setup regardless meaning i'd only be using the faders, interface and keyboard. if i end up needing to get a more powerful desktop computer to work with, which i can for less than the ikeydock, the thing becomes obsolete.

i think the keydock's gonna be first to go. its not even being advertised on youtube, and its an extremely niche product that won't satisfy its niche.

the studioblades a pretty cool concept though. just throw in komplete, have the knobs instamapped out to the instruments, throw in a pair of monitors and you'll have a perfect bundle for the i gots all this money and i want my setup NOW crowd

what about the ikeydock? it really does just seem like a midi controller with an audio interface, and that the only advantage of having one would be to save a bit of space. at least with maschine besides being a third of the price and having real pads you're getting a huge sample library that's been heavily updated for free. plus having to have your computer on the right side seems like a pain in the ass, moreso than the studioblade because laptops don't have a swivel touch screen.

not saying this to hate but i'm saying it because im being required to have a macbook which is also going to be an upgrade from my old PC. the keydock seemed like a nice accessory at first but it really doesn't do much, and i like my maschine which is going to be in my setup regardless meaning i'd only be using the faders, interface and keyboard. if i end up needing to get a more powerful desktop computer to work with, which i can for less than the ikeydock, the thing becomes obsolete.

i think the keydock's gonna be first to go. its not even being advertised on youtube, and its an extremely niche product that won't satisfy its niche.

the studioblades a pretty cool concept though. just throw in komplete, have the knobs instamapped out to the instruments, throw in a pair of monitors and you'll have a perfect bundle for the i gots all this money and i want my setup NOW crowd

You clearly haven't read up on the products, you're just going by what people say.

1) It's compatible with both PC and Mac's.

2) Your laptop doesn't have a swivel touch screen...neither does your PC. Neither does a Fantom, Motif or Triton. With the iKeyDock, you can turn your laptop to the side if you like. It's just plugged in via USB or via Firewire.

3) It satisfies the niche of people wanting an all in one solution for Mac. Nobody can MAKE a product with an Apple Operating system on it...NOBODY besides Apple. So the iKeyDock is a way around it. To give people the all in one solution, with their current Macbook. Now you can't tell me there's not a market for people who want an all in one Mac solution.

4) Insta-mapping controls to your software? What, you're gonna want a flying car next? What about a teleportation device? Fcuk it, how about they throw in a time machine for you at no extra charge?

When you map the controls (via midi learn), you can save the mappings, and recall them at the touch of a button. 4 banks of mappings. That means 144 knobs and 36 faders. to map any way you want.

5) If you need a more powerful computer than the one you connect to it, then buy one, and connect it to the iKeyDock, and still have the same functionality.

Built into each iKeyDOCK are Music Computing's ControlDAW™ midi controller and GeoMIDI™ midi mapping software. ControlDaw presents the user with four (4) banks of eight (8) plus one (1) master channel strips each with three (3) mappable encoders with LED indicator light rings, one (1) knobs for panning, solo and mute buttons and a high-quality fader. An 8X8 grid of lighted pads (64 total) is also provided that can be used as drum trigger pads, a Monome (with appropriate software) or as a trigger pad for sequences, etc. Controls for note-repeat enabled software and transport buttons are included as well as real-time feedback between the controllers and software making ControlDAW the ultimate midi controller for music production.

Hear the Difference: The standard configuration for iKeyDOCK include a 24bit-48 kHz audio I/O with two (2) combo XLR & ¼” mic/instrument 48V phantom power inputs, two (2) balanced outputs and a stereo headphone jack. The optional upgrade gives you a 24bit-96 kHz audio I/O with two (2) combo XLR & ¼” mic/instrument 48V phantom power inputs, six (6) ¼” balanced inputs (line-level), two balanced outputs and a stereo headphone jack. StudioBlades also offer Firewire ports in the event outboard audio I/O or other Firewire devices are needed.

Play That Sample: Music Computing’s TriggerGrid™, included with each ControlDAW, is a sample player that allows the user to trigger sampled sounds via controllers such as the ControlDAW or ControlPLAY™. Unlimited number of banks each containing sixty four (64) samples can be loaded and played. Per pad controls included: Frequency, Attack and Release, Gain, Pan and Reverse. Per pad wave editor allows for simple drag to trim/truncate samples. 16 – audio outs for use in a DAW. File formats include: wave and mp3. Save feature allows all 64 pads to be saved as a kit. Unlimited number of kits can be saved that can be instantly loaded for playback. Simple drag and drop interface to populate pads.

MIDI map presets: Music Computing’s GeoMIDI™ MIDI mapping software provides an interface for changing the MIDI assignments of the ControlDAW and ControlPlay’s buttons, knobs, and sliders. Each slider or knob can send out a variety of combinations of control or pitch-bend data. An unlimited number of MIDI map presets can be created, saved and loaded for use.

Compact and light: Traditional production stations are big and heavy, by using the latest technologies and manufacturing processes, iKeyDOCK keyboard production stations docks are portable enough to go just about anywhere.

I don't think anyone is trying to talk anyone out of Maschine. If that's what works for you, then great...continue to use it.

But some people want something different. Me personally, machine would do me no good. It's a MPD hardware controller for software.

3) It satisfies the niche of people wanting an all in one solution for Mac. Nobody can MAKE a product with an Apple Operating system on it...NOBODY besides Apple. So the iKeyDock is a way around it. To give people the all in one solution, with their current Macbook. Now you can't tell me there's not a market for people who want an all in one Mac solution.

So in your own words the only benefit over just buying a seperate interface and midi controller is space.. which it won't save since its bigger than most keyboards anyway.

Seeing as it doesn't do any processing of it's own then clearly it's just a fancy looking controller.

If you put the screen to the side there goes the all in one idea. If you swivel the screen so you can see it better it's going to be at a funny angle since the top is sloped.

A CME VX6 has proper pads and motorised faders..

You clearly haven't read up on the products, you're just going by what people say.

1) It's compatible with both PC and Mac's.

2) Your laptop doesn't have a swivel touch screen...neither does your PC. Neither does a Fantom, Motif or Triton. With the iKeyDock, you can turn your laptop to the side if you like. It's just plugged in via USB or via Firewire.

4) Insta-mapping controls to your software? What, you're gonna want a flying car next? What about a teleportation device? Fcuk it, how about they throw in a time machine for you at no extra charge?

When you map the controls (via midi learn), you can save the mappings, and recall them at the touch of a button. 4 banks of mappings. That means 144 knobs and 36 faders. to map any way you want.

5) If you need a more powerful computer than the one you connect to it, then buy one, and connect it to the iKeyDock, and still have the same functionality.

I don't think anyone is trying to talk anyone out of Maschine. If that's what works for you, then great...continue to use it.

But some people want something different. Me personally, machine would do me no good. It's a MPD hardware controller for software.

you missed my points completely. its the fact that laptops can't be close to you swiveling and touch screen that makes the laptop placement seem like an annoyance. to say that its an all in one solution is the same as calling an MPK an all in one solution. all that's missing is the interface.

as for the mapping thing, i wasn't shitting on the blade, nor was i saying that all that should come with it for free. im just saying that it wouldn't be hard to set something like that up with instruments that come with komplete, and to throw in the monitors and sell it as a bundle would make it a true all in one to those who have nothing. im guessing that if someone doesn't already have an interface then they don't have monitors either. i'll admit i messed up by assuming the studioblade didn't come with many sounds/instruments because i've been looking into the keydock that seemingly doesn't come with any.

Last edited:
So in your own words the only benefit over just buying a seperate interface and midi controller is space.. which it won't save since its bigger than most keyboards anyway.

Seeing as it doesn't do any processing of it's own then clearly it's just a fancy looking controller.

If you put the screen to the side there goes the all in one idea. If you swivel the screen so you can see it better it's going to be at a funny angle since the top is sloped.

give up u can't cure gear lust. we all have irrational cases of it in one way or another.

that CME looks dope :cheers:

Wow this man Troup is being nailed to a Music Computing cross. Why not enjoy some great insight? Early insight and reviews at that. Why are people mad because he has a better Coogi shirt than them? People don't know how to act these days

Wow this man Troup is being nailed to a Music Computing cross. Why not enjoy some great insight? Early insight and reviews at that. Why are people mad because he has a better Coogi shirt than them? People don't know how to act these days

I don't see him being nailed, rather just differing opinions. The product is not for everyone, nor is the Motif, Fantom, M3, Ableton, etc

Music Computing starts ODM services - offers up world’s first PC-based electronic drum trigger brain for grabs

AUSTIN, Texas Dec 01, 2010 -- Music Computing, Inc. today announced it will now offer ODM (product development) services to assist companies in producing computer-enhanced solutions for today’s creative professionals.

With decades of combined experience, the design team’s mission is to work with traditional music instrument companies to transform their products into modern-age solutions, which provides more features, better performance and new uses.

"We have been approached in the past by a number of companies that were interested in modernization of their products lines,” said Victor Wong, CEO, Music Computing, “and we are now looking forward to sharing our knowledge and expertise with them to create new classes of instruments.”

Services Music Computing will provide include the following:
• Requirement management
• Selection of appropriate key components
• Development of hardware and software
• Design reviews
• Design to cost, testing, and manufacturing
• Prototyping
• Test concept and design of test benches
• Reliability, approval, and customer acceptance testing
• Quality planning and control through entire process and readiness for mass production

As a demonstration of its capabilities, Music Computing focused on the needs of the modern day drummer and embarked upon the process of designing DrumMC™, the world’s first computer-enhanced electronic drum trigger brain.

The primary targets to achieving this goal were as follows:
• Ability run any Microsoft Windows-based VST, VSTi, DAW or other music applications
• Ability to accept virtually any trigger pad, cymbal trigger or sensor from all manufacturers (30 trigger inputs)
• Small footprint and weight to allow for maximum portability
• Integrated audio to provide both stereo inputs and outputs as well as MIDI and other protocols
• Touchscreen interface allowing control over software interfaces without need for mapping controls
• Ability to be used as a standalone or with any existing drum trigger brain
• Complete design encompassing hardware, software, firmware and user interfaces, ready for mass production

A video demonstrating the DrumMC and Drum MC+ in use as a Finger Drumming & Music Production Workstation, Integrated Electronic Drum VSTi Player and Sequencer, and Electronic Drum Module Replacement, can be seen at: http://www.musiccomputing.com/odm The DrumMC line is currently available for companies on an OEM basis.

Last edited:
If that iKey dock had an option with mpc type pads I would probably consider it.....

Back