For All You Miko & Neko Disbelievers!

kyng said:
http://www.openlabs.com/mimik.html

Check out the Open Labs Mimik Overviews 1 & 2

I've seen post saying that the Neko & Miko can't sample aftertouch and effects. THIS VIDEO WILL PROVE THEM WRONG!
Kyng, I feel you man. There is always negative talk about this. you know the usual "it won't make u sound like_________<insert hott="" producers="" name="" here="" the="" converters="" are="" whack="">< (insert producers name here) and it's converters are WHACK! love this 1. And the funniest part is the one's saying all this probably don't own the converters they talk about!!!!:D The only thing I can say is the downfall of this product is the price. and if this unit was about 2k, EVERYONE let me repeat EVERYONE here that talks bad about it would have 1. As soon as my money is right mine will be on the way. I'm thinking about the Timbo Miko(no, not because it has Timbo name on it) but because of the preset sounds of all those old boards. Kyng, please make a vid with your neko/miko. People here might not care but trust me I'd love to see it. Make some heat man.</insert>

What you've seen is a carefully scripted presentation designed to show the Miko/Neko/Mimik technology in its best possible light.

I could show you the flaws in their approach, and how it doesn't do what you think it does in about 3 minutes.

You might want to do an experiment of your own, for instance. Create a 544mb file and see how quickly that loads up on a computer. Consider that this is how much it took to clone a single patch, recording only 49 keys of the Nord synth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we not see something wrong with using 544MB and 35 Minutes for 1 weak ass patch?...not impressed

I wonder if the person who posted this even has one. Machines are a tool and the product that leaves the sampler depends on a producers creativity more than equiptment, so it's fair to say who cares what anyone uses as long as they have the features they want and the money to purchase the system they need.

DisoBAYish said:
I wonder if the person who posted this even has one. Machines are a tool and the product that leaves the sampler depends on a producers creativity more than equiptment, so it's fair to say who cares what anyone uses as long as they have the features they want and the money to purchase the system they need.

No argument there. I plan on buying a Neko or constructing my own at some time in the near future. I see the value of such a product, and have nothing "bad" to say about it.

I just feel that it is necessary to at least make an attempt at educating people who have a starry-eyed, unrealistic and inaccurate understanding of its capabilities.

tylawdaboss said:
and if this unit was about 2k, EVERYONE let me repeat EVERYONE here that talks bad about it would have 1.

Well, that's the gist of it. I don't think most "bad-mouthers" think it's a bad product - it's not. It's just completely overpriced for what it offers, and partly because of that a lot of kids seem to be fooled into thinking it's something more than it is. Simple as that.

that is cool! but i didn't think they sounded exactly the same like the dude said; "the dynamics are there."
but it was alittle off i thought. slightly.

Yo

I don't have one, I plan on getting an SE verson for 3 stacks in December and I just add the other hardware later. Trust me WHEN I GET ONE I WILL POST A VIDEO I have a Roland V-Synth, FL Studio, Reason, and some Vst's. BUT, I went to Galaxy Music in Stone Mountain, GA and and this guy was cloning keyboards there. That's what made me want one. He had Pro Tool's HD 1 set up inside the machine and like 8 vst's running. That thing is nice. I'm not saying it's the **** but it's good for some people and some it's not. Now one thing I seen someone post in another forum is that it should have some ASR-10 filters on it. I AGREE. I don't recieve to much info on the converters so . . . . but just saying this thing is garbage is wrong though, THEY HAD TIMBALAND USING TWO OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME AT THE VMA's so they must be doing something right.

I remember going to one forum in here and a dude was talkin ish about the board saying he'd rather stick with an MPC ASR SP-12 all them vintage ****s plus a Mac.

kyng said:
I remember going to one forum in here and a dude was talkin ish about the board saying he'd rather stick with an MPC ASR SP-12 all them vintage ****s plus a Mac.

...and?

If someone says he'd rather stick with something else, what's the problem?

Hell, I'll quote myself from the other thread. Sorry in advance. This was a reply to a comment about bringing a laptop and keyboard workstations to a gig, and how you can now bring one unit instead.

Guenon said:
The actual point is, there's nothing magical in Neko/Miko which enables you to drop the keyboards the way you are here describing. That is, nothing more magical than can already be done with a "regular" mobile computer setup.

The same goes here as anywhere else: use the stuff that works best for you. Personally, I'm not fond of all in one solutions, especially when it's a hardware unit. When it comes time to upgrade or replace a certain aspect of a setup, I find time after time that it's much more painless if the system is modular instead of an all in one package.

This is especially true in the case of hardware fault. If you're pushing a deadline already, and a part of your system craps out, you can quickly find an emergency replacement for that one part if your system is modular, and send the faulty part back to the manufacturer/retailer in the mean time. If it's a single all in one unit you're working with, and a certain part fails, chances are you'll eventually need to send the whole unit.

(Of course, Openlabs might have this hinderance of an all in one unit cleverly solved in the Neko/Miko hardware design. Still, as I said, I'm personally wary of all-around products.)

It always strikes me as odd if you have to be a "disbeliever" in order to prefer using something other than a particular piece of gear, what ever it might be at that moment.

Last edited:
so would i (eff the mpc, i got the eps just need the sp, oh and eff the mac)
timbo wasn't actually playin'. in a lot of tv performances instruments aren't actually played.

I understand that but he called it garbage. Every product has it's flaws. But damn thats like me saying the MPC is ****ty just because I have a MV and I never used an MPC.

Last edited:
i like the meko alot as i have played with one a number of times in DC, but that cloning feature isnt all that its cracked up to be...

Last edited:
I've been wanting this thing ever since it hit the shelves in 2001. Everybody thinks the price is high now, when I first came out the MSRP was 10k and some change. So I don't want one because everybody else has one, or it's just the "heat of the moment." I want it because it's a good instrument like the ASR Triton of the MOTIF.

i hear you but there are some that are swayed by the product endorsement (which is still their business but isn't the best reason to get hyped about a product).

if someone starts a thread sayin' that waves are the best plugs, hands down, best believe (i hope) people will refute that claim. some will totally dismiss, it others will give alternatives, and some will give pro's and con's (won't bother talkin' about the cult of uad, someone might put a hit on me). same holds for some of the threads for miko/neko.

do you.

Back