flipping 101

046oh

i want to do my own flipping, but i really have no clue where to start with.
what are some basic stuff i could do to a sample?

could you guys tell me the first things you do when you have a sample in front of you?

thanks! :)

Well, what tools do you own to chop samples?

I get 90% of my samples from records I buy/dig. So when I find a sample I like, I will take it into Maschine, chop it up the way I like. But before that I will listen to it over and over to kind of get an idea in my mind, and what I'd like to do.

Then I will play the chops freestyle for awhile to build even more,and at the same time, gives me ideas drum sounds that I may want.

I will lay the sample sometimes in 5-6 different variations.

Try and get yourself Fruity Loops. I don't use it, but I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction. It has a good slicer in it.

For you, maybe you'd want to go on WhoSampled and look up who your favorite producer sampled for s specific track. Go study the original and see how the producer flipped it. For me, I have several sources on YouTube to find rare stuff, then I upload it to Edison in FL, chop, then bring the chops to SliceX and sequence.

Take a look at how Rsonist (Heatmakerz) makes his beats:

Last edited:
thanks for the videos guys!

@dichotomos
so basically what he said that J Dilla was great because he managed to piece together the chopped loops so well that it didn't sound like something reassembled?

thanks for the videos guys!

@dichotomos
so basically what he said that J Dilla was great because he managed to piece together the chopped loops so well that it didn't sound like something reassembled?

That's sort of what he was saying, what he was really getting at was the fact that the sample J. Dilla used had singing and talking all over it so somehow J managed to grab clips of the instruments when there where pauses in the vocals of the song and then piece it together and make it sound fluid, and he did it all on his MPC which is what makes it so amazing!

when you find a sample ... make the music for yourself. the biggest challenge is not how you can flip it yet whether you can make what it is you hear in your head. Manifesting that idea is the biggest challenge you're going to have in making the flip. the thing that producers are doing are recycling soul or a feel yet adding their own groove. Make music you want to hear.

thanks guys :)
I actually did attempt at a flip after watching a tutorial.
that made me really be amazed at what J Dilla did D:

one question: when you're flipping, is it okay to add your own bassline or melody?

Last edited:
All i can say is think outside of the obvious loops. Sometimes it works, sometimes it works well, other times it is just too obvious. Set yourself apart by not going for the obvious when it comes to chopping a sample.

Of course, it is actually great to make your own melody and add to it with other instruments/drums/fx... and hell yes on adding your own bass... as long as it all doesnt clash, go for it!

That's sort of what he was saying, what he was really getting at was the fact that the sample J. Dilla used had singing and talking all over it so somehow J managed to grab clips of the instruments when there where pauses in the vocals of the song and then piece it together and make it sound fluid, and he did it all on his MPC which is what makes it so amazing!

Yup pretty much......his ?uestloves quote "it's like assessembling a 10,000 piece puzzle in record time" when reffering to J-Dilla's sample chopping/assessmbling skill set.

I've watched videos for days when I started getting into this like a month or two ago. It all seems hard now, but it gets easier and easier as you keep trying you just gotta sample whatever you like. Whatever catches your in ear in the song if you really feel it you'll be able to do something with it. Go on youtube and watch a couple Boon Doc vids that really helped me, but there's no one set way on how to flip a sample. Play with the track cut it up filter it and keep playing with it. It really is like taking a bunch of puzzle pieces from an existing puzzle and making a brand new one. Hope my ramble helps lol

I watched alot of youtube vids, i mean ALOT. I first started out with looping because it was the easiest to add your own insrumentation to. But the more difficult is chopping up diffrent areas of a sample and playing them out the way you want it to sound. Youtube is your best teacher in these cases.

Back