Fl vs Fantom

jordy

I've wanted a fantom x6 since I started to research about music production. I couldn't play the keys then. So never got one.

As of now I got some money saved for one. But im starting to think its just gear lust lol.
So im thinkin I may get fl, been tryin the demo seem to fit my workflow. Plus I've got a roland sonic cell, which has alot of the sound of the fantom. Its very easy to use as a vst.

The other thing is I don't think I have the room for a fantom.
It looks like fl can do everything that I wanted the fantom for, plus alot more.

So what you guys think. Go with the fantom?
Or go with fl, a few vst's( any opinions on good one's 4 fl?) N maybe a motif rack.

hmmmmm. spend 1500 plus on a keyboard with stock sounds and no room for upgrading changing fixing or nothing.

or buy a 200 dollar program and be able to use all kinds of sounds at will.

Me personally
i'll take the money i would spend on a fantom get a midi board fl studio, and spend the money on some sounds and percs. And call it a day.

You don't hear about people going around bragging about a Fantom beat, or a triton beat or even a motif. And if they do, they probably made it on a board, and then redid it in a program (reason, cubase, fl studio, logic).

I would grab fl, an orchestra plugin-philharmonik is my fav, as well as edirol orchestral, and/or ewqlso

piano-pianoteq, true pianos, or step up to ivory (the best pianos i've ever heard out of a vst

synths- sylenth1, albino, z3ta, rapture, minimoog, blue vanguard etc

or even hybrid plugins, with some of everything from strings to synths to organs to pads
hypersonic, east west colossus, dimension pro, korg legacy collection etc

With a program like fl studio cubase or something like that you can always upgrade your sounds and get whatever feel you desire.

With a keyboard like the fantom you're pretty much stuck with whatever they give you. beat sequencing is bull, and exporting it to the computer is even more bull.

But those are just my thoughts

Stick with FL, buy some genuine sounds and buy a midi keyboard.

Call it a day, and Sample when you have the feeling :)

I agree, I had a fantom, they are dope no doubt, but you already got sonic cell, so that mixed with fl will be fine. Get a midi keyboard, and have fun.

Like others said, find some good plugins you like, and work with those, shoot, you can even buy two srx expansion for your sonic cell, and use that inside flstudio or whatever software you end up going with.

Bottom line is, if it works for you, do it...no one will know what you're using unless you tell them, especially when you start using that sonic cell and other high quality plugins. I've thought of purchasing a sonic cell just to get some roland sounds back in my setup. The way it integrates with software is crazy.

have fun.

No need to spend on a fantom if you have sonic cell.

If you don't have monitoring taken care of yet, and are serious enough about the music thing, you'll thank yourself later if you use the money you have just saved towards decent monitors & basic room treatment.

Last edited:
Back