first try ! Please tell me how it sounds ?

nocknig

Hi

I'm not expecting this to sound good as it's a first shot. I'm hoping for some tips.

Attachments

• test-01.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 16
Hi there. Ive had a quick listen and everything is very quiet compared to your main drum sample, did you do this in headphones? Try exprimenting with bringing the levels of the other elements up and see how that effects things

Hi there. Ive had a quick listen and everything is very quiet compared to your main drum sample, did you do this in headphones? Try exprimenting with bringing the levels of the other elements up and see how that effects things

sorry for taking so long. yes i did this on headphones but it sounded so cool. i thought it might be the case it's over bassed. i could try messing around with the levels but i wouldn't know what the hell i was doing. i really wish there were some way of pinning a good mix down with visual tools like a spectrum analyzer. in the end i'll need some proper monitors. taking a giant leap for man kind here, but i'm wondering though if it's worth paying for a couple of hours in a professional recording studio. just to get the feel of the mix on a really good and big sound system just before release. that is if you were planning to go commercial. or do you think the feel of the track translates well from bedroom monitors to much larger club sound say for instance?

not the complete truth when i said my first try... but it was my first try in a long time. thanks a lot :bigeyes:

Sounds pretty good actually, I agree with the person above though the drums are a bit loud but I feel like that may be what you were going for. I'd still bring them down a notch and bring up a few other things. The mix had quite a bit of depth to it, it didn't fall flat like my mixes do sometimes. Good overall though.

thanks for your thoughts. i didn't really put that much effort into the track as a whole and i thought it came out pretty well for me. that's a definite first and it's why i wanted to see what other folks thought. i think you guys are being over kind... as for sound, i'm kinda going for big drums and faintly audible other percussion. i can't post links yet, otherwise i'd point you to an example. i do want a minimal sound but it's difficult getting that right without boring listeners to death... anyway mixing has always been the most difficult part for me.

Last edited:
Yeah I only mentioned headphones because you tend to be able to hear a lot more detail in headphones than through monitors. Thats why you end up with things that arent supposed to be at the front of the mix being too far back, if that makes sense. Plus bass levels seem a lot lower than through monitors so it sounds like theres loads of room to crank it up. I guess you can try playing your mix through a hifi stereo or car or whatever youve got to give you some idea of how it translates (cheaper than studio time!). Also import a couple of tracks that have the same sort of sound youre going for into your session and compare the mixes directly in headphones.
As it is I dont think it would translate well to a big PA, it would translate the same way as it does to monitors but exaggerated

thanks a lot for all the good advice and comments. i guess it boils down to the fact that a good pair of monitors are a must have if i plans on doing anything besides growing music for personal use.:victory: i had alesis mkII about 7 years ago. i got those because most people were getting them at that time and they sounded bomb in comparison to the white yamaha jobbies the girl at the store was trying to load off on me. i don't know what everyone is using these days though.

Last edited:
Back