Finding Samples

Joystick707

I know what kind of samples i like flipping and i usually use youtube to find them. What are your methods of finding samples and what websites are good to use (if any)?

Wooow, did he really just ask that? Like i get that he's a new jack but c'mon.

Last edited:
@srm its getting worse and worse by the year. People now ask for prechopped samples too. Its a different kind of sad.

well thanks for answering my question with another question. and i get how to dig but i havent gone through records since i dont have a recorder for them. so i wanted to know other ways of diggin on the web besides youtube, etc.

Last edited:
Some of you sound like straight geeks with how emotional and serious you get over this shit. Either give him a helpful answer or keep it moving.

Go to your local vinyl record store or thrift store.

You can check out sample/flip this section of the forum.

Find a record store that has a turntable setup in house that will let you listen before you buy.
Talk with the guys that work at the store. Most likely they can point you in the right direction of what to listen to if you can clearly describe the kinds of sounds you like to chop up.
Listen to music until something flips the swith of the lightbulb in your head.
To be a good producer you first got to have a good ear.
Once you start hearing what you like, you'll know where to go get it.
And the more you work with the samples the better you'll become at recording and arranging them.
From the onset you'll have to do a lot of listening to find sounds that you like and will want to put together in a way that is personal to you and defines your own work style.

Im not emotional or serious at all, more like just astounded at the ignorance, obviously records are synonymous with hip hop at this point even mcdonalds commercials got dudes spinnin records in em. And i know if you are just starting out at this point then you definitely know how to use google or at least try the search feature on a website like this. Its pretty rediculous.

I'm real picky with my samples. And I want to use things that haven't been sampled before.
So I go through a lot of records.

Most of the time I find things because I thought the cover art looked cool.

I really haven't pin pointed a method of finding samples other than listening to a shitton of music.

IMO Fastest way to becoming a better producer is remaking beats,

so go on youtube find the original samples for your fav hip hop songs and develop your own workflow to make it sound as close as possible to the song.

peace

Some of you sound like straight geeks with how emotional and serious you get over this shit. Either give him a helpful answer or keep it moving.

I feel that same way. But, you have to understand, in my opinion, people who dig for records see themselves in a class all there own.
Elitists if you will. As crazy as it seems, that's what it is. Don't get me wrong I love digging. I love going to a spot, getting my hands
dirty, and finding records (Hell...I do it just because. I LOVE MUSIC!! LOL). But to not help someone and just let them to continue
to go astray is absurd. FP at it's finest though.

Do what suits you. To the OP, Youtube and Blogs are some of the best places for E-Diggers. peace.

Back