Failed collab.

JohnnyBregman

Hi,
Ok this one is a little complicated so I’ll try to make it short.
I produced e an entry song for a pro wrestler “friend”. My beat and I rapped on it. We agreed on 50 50 publishing. I made a beat he provided some words he wants in it, and I wrote the extra 75% lyrics about him and gave structure and rhyming to the words he wrote.
I used my studio to make a beat and my vocals were recorded and mixed at a paid studio (around $400 cost)
We also agreed that to break even, he will put $400 more than me toward promoting the song online. But he never did it because we got into an argument that stopped the process .
When I said that I'm copywriting the song 50/50 on publishing and lyrics but the producing/composing 100% me he started arguing that he deserves 50% for composing because he chose the beat out of 5 I’ve sent him. And because he asked for a violin in it (he didn’t even whistle a melody idea or somthing)
He refuses to understand and I gave up on it.
The question is, because he didn’t fulfill his side of the friendly agreement (no contract) can I just copy write this Product of my labour as 100 percent my publishing? And put him just in the 50% lyrics? (Which he doesn’t even deserve...)
I dont want my beat and performance to go to the trash and I want to maybe I release it one day. But the question is if it's my right and if he could do something later?
Thanks!

Back