Every Hip Hop producer should have this or something like it

Those drums do sound nice but I think I'll just stick to the 9th wonder kit. In the future I'll switch up my drums, the 9th kit just fits me perfectly right now.

I agree. I'll say another good idea is find as many live recorded drums online by punk rock, funk, heavy metal, ect...bands and round robin them. It takes a little work to set them up but once it's done then it's done. But nothing beats a good live drum vst with a overhead set up and a form of bleeding. There better than actually recording drums from real drum kits (besides in a great recording room). Rock bands trigger them all the time. This guy had a great kit he offered on FP and some other places. I can't remember his name but he recorded a bunch on one hits multiple times from different drum kits. He recorded dry and wet from the kicks to the snares right into pro tools HD. Was just lacking in cymbals but had enough to get something done. That kit is great. Probably like 6 different bass drums ( hits dry, hits wet, four hits this and that) in each one. Like 5 snares with multiple hits. Glad I was one of the ones fortunate to download it.

Those drums do sound nice but I think I'll just stick to the 9th wonder kit. In the future I'll switch up my drums, the 9th kit just fits me perfectly right now.

You can make these kits sound like a 9th wonder kit easily which was my point. Stop sticking to old standards. Mpc style drums came around almost 30 years ago and cats are still hanging on to this stuff. Why not move to something better?

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

I agree. I'll say another good idea is find as many live recorded drums online by punk rock, funk, heavy metal, ect...bands and round robin them. It takes a little work to set them up but once it's done then it's done. But nothing beats a good live drum vst with a overhead set up and a form of bleeding. There better than actually recording drums from real drum kits (besides in a great recording room). Rock bands trigger them all the time. This guy had a great kit he offered on FP and some other places. I can't remember his name but he recorded a bunch on one hits multiple times from different drum kits. He recorded dry and wet from the kicks to the snares right into pro tools HD. Was just lacking in cymbals but had enough to get something done. That kit is great. Probably like 6 different bass drums ( hits dry, hits wet, four hits this and that) in each one. Like 5 snares with multiple hits. Glad I was one of the ones fortunate to download it.

I remember that guy and his kit. It was cool not what I was looking for but it sounded good. I actually like this because its more of a self contained instrument rather than a bunch of one shots that then have to be setup to get a great kit going. I also don't like the idea of round robining the kits because then they sound too different from hit to hit imo. The idea here is getting the sound of a live drummer. People always say live drums sounds better and don't take advantage of the tools out there that are getting us closer. This is the next best thing to having a real drummer imo.

I use those Abbey Road Drums from Komplete

can you route those drum hits to individual outputs? I have Komplete elements and the abbey road kit that comes with it can't seem to be routed out for some reason.

I use those Abbey Road Drums from Komplete

can't wait to cop Komplete 8 I hate you,jealous of you right now j/k lol

but yeah I just love that package and can't wait to get it in my hand and tweak,tweak,and tweak some more

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 AM ----------

I got BFD sitting on it's own hard drive.

why sir what is the advantage of doing that please let us know

i love drum vst's, especially abbey road drums, but you can never make them sound like all those legendary drum breaks.

i love drum vst's, especially abbey road drums, but you can never make them sound like all those legendary drum breaks.

Sure you can. I have done it and have owned many of the records in that video on vinyl. I sold my record collection after buying AD. its more so a matter of finding the right kit piece s and mixing. I didn't even go into the mic and fx pages. This is a very versatile vst.

I'm still learning to use a regular kit, I don't know if I can really jump to this just yet. Lol

Define regular kit? You mean those kits you download online? This kit isn't abnormal or anything its just not a one shot like most hip hop producers have been dealing with for years. I move to bring synthesized realism back to hip hop one step at a time.

why sir what is the advantage of doing that please let us know

I have BFD on it's own hard drive for several reasons, the first reason is because it requires a lot of space (I have expansions) and the other reason is so I can conserve RAM by streaming samples from the hard drive. How it works is only the start of the sample is loaded into RAM and the rest streams right off the hard drive, ideally I give priority to drums by loading them into RAM but sometimes I need to give that space up to other samples. Not only are my drums so important that they have their own drive but I always put my drums at the top starting with track 1.

Guys I need your advice. What is the best way to use those Addictive Drums? Im working in Reason 5 and it suits me really well. But I have Ableton as well, and the question is - is it possible to work in Ableton with AD and make drums there and somehowe send the drum pattern to Reason? I have really nice workflow with Reason right now and Im focusing on discovering it and it's new possibilities so I don't want to learn new DAW like Ableton right now.

Last edited:
Guys I need your advice. What is the best way to use those Addictive Drums? Im working in Reason 5 and it suits me really well. But I have Ableton as well, and the question is - is it possible to work in Ableton with AD and make drums there and somehowe send the drum pattern to Reason? I have really nice workflow with Reason right now and Im focusing on discovering it and it's new possibilities so I don't want to learn new DAW like Ableton right now.

AD is a vst won't work directly in Reason but there are several multisampled drum libraries for Reason included in various refills like Reason Drum Kits, Disco School, Soul School and the 3 Alt Drums libraries. I haven't used Alt drumsbut RDK and Disco School are great even Soul School is good but none of them are as flexible for this kind of thing as AD imo.

AD is a vst won't work directly in Reason but there are several multisampled drum libraries for Reason included in various refills like Reason Drum Kits, Disco School, Soul School and the 3 Alt Drums libraries. I haven't used Alt drumsbut RDK and Disco School are great even Soul School is good but none of them are as flexible for this kind of thing as AD imo.

Yeah I read about those Alt Drums.. I have to think about it, and read some reviews, but what would you say for rewiring Reason in Ableton and using AD in Ableton this way, is it possible to transfer something between Ableton in Reason while rewiring?

can you route those drum hits to individual outputs? I have Komplete elements and the abbey road kit that comes with it can't seem to be routed out for some reason.

Exactly.

I think I've gone through EZDrummer, and it's time to move to XLN.

I hear you bro, me encanto Reason tambien ( I love reason too). But I also love VSTs, good looking on the demo Kev, gonna try out AD. I have Battery now with Komplete 7 and havent really dove into it yet. But for KMANO, what I do is 1 of 2 two things. If I want a sound or sounds from in Studio One or vice versa, Ill just Rewire. It you dont rewire, you should at some point. 2nd, Ill either create a loop or one shot of the sound I want and render it as a wave. Waves are universal, so you use them anywhere. Also keep in mind, most porgrams already have all their samples in wave form, usually in the Sample folder of that kit. Reason is not different and Im sure AD is no different. If this is not true for AD, just refer to #2, and use the sounds in Kong or Redrum or NNXT.

So just create a track in Ableton, bring up AD, play all the sounds you want, (if you want a single kick and single snare, just do it on seperate tracks) either in a pattern or random, render that track(s) and open them in Kong or whatever. If you put the sounds on one track you will have to chop them, so try to avoid that if neccessary. I personally create loops in Reason and use them in S1 or vice versa. Its probably the most fun thing about producing to me, creating loops....I could go on and on...

Good luck

Peace.

Last edited:
You should be able ReWire Reason into Live and run Addictive Drums as a VST, now because Reason does not have MIDI out you will need to sequence Addictive Drums from Live, you could export MIDI from Reason as a file but that would suck total ass because the whole idea of these uber cool drum modules with different velocity layers is so that you can play them with expression, running them from a step sequencer with fixed velocity would also be defeating the purpose.

Back