drum sampling

W

Wals Kronkite

i've really been getting into collecting drums as of late. mainly because i lost many throuhg some computer problems. it's actually become pretty fun for me...i luv finding that kick with just the right amount of reverb to it and umph...or a clap from a soulful song that actually soundsl ike a real clap..... it's real fun to just look thru cds or records and chop at what you can find whenever you're bored and it allows you to have drums that are set apart from everyone else who is using industry drums or trading the same old drum kits that everyone has (used 2 do that).

How many of you sample your own drums and use them? What typa resources are you using? What typa effects have you found work best for them?

Me personally, I'm findin that u can get imo some of the best snares and kicks off of rock records becuz they bang real hard and work real well for an oldschool hip hop vibe....soul music is real hot for percussion and claps...i'lll even sample from dr. dre and **** as long as it's hot

I have been doing the same for about a week, i had a stack of old CD's (got them free) and i was up till like 4am the other night chopin out any little hi hat, snare, kick and clap i could find ... i became obsessed.

Question: Is single hits like snare copyrighted? sorry if its a stupid question.

^ahah, i know what you mean...i can find myself doing this for hours

as far as copyright= technically yes BUT for something as small as a kick or drum prety much NO...ur prolly not gonna be sued basically unless it's like a bar or more loop. most all of the great hip hop producers (dre, dj premier, neptunes, timbaland, etc) have sampled their drums from records.

I need some snares right now. I'm tired of mine. Any body got anything dope.

Check my three on http://www.myspace.com/gwhiz

There old beats but I think I may have two other snares and about three claps that I actually use. Let me know if you have anything fresher

noblewordz said:
I have been doing the same for about a week, i had a stack of old CD's (got them free) and i was up till like 4am the other night chopin out any little hi hat, snare, kick and clap i could find ... i became obsessed.

Question: Is single hits like snare copyrighted? sorry if its a stupid question.

Don't even sweat drums patna. As far as copyrights and lisencing goes worry about the total song and how similar it may be to the original. There are clearing houses you can go to if you are really concerned and are actually putting forth product for sale.

Last edited:
do copyright laws still apply even if you dont plan to sell any of your music?

^ duke, don't worry about it man. like i said, prolly almost ALL hip hop producer you know do or have sampled drums from other records...a drum is not something that can really be one for being sued for in a court...because really, do u think someone is gonna listen 2 a song and say "hey, i know that! that's the exact kick from my song!"lol. it'd be like impossible 2 prove because drums can easily be manipulated 2 sound like whatever.

i like to use envelope filters and regular filters and thats all. mabey some reverb or something as well.

what i've been doin lately is choppin up drum breaks and makin em sound like a different pattern.. same with samples... i don't have to worry about the whole copyright thing because after a while... i cant even recognize and tell where the stuff comes from....

mattposada said:
do copyright laws still apply even if you dont plan to sell any of your music?

Yeah, man listen to the homie kronkite. There's no real culpable evidence with drums that your gonna get caught on. For the rest of the track as far as not selling your beats, yes and no. Let me break it down.
Theoretically, you are in violation of copyright law just for using someone elses music, just as much as you are for taping a professionsal sports game that you see on tv. But, just like taping a sports game, the NBA, NFL, FIFA or who ever doesn't care unless your getting paid for it. Moreover, you have to be getting paid enough money for them to care about. If you make $100 dollars at a World cup party, no ones gonna bother you; that's cheap advertising/marketing by there standards. Now, if you make $100,000 some one might check for you.
If you are not selling your beats though you are still liable, but since there are no fees incumbered, in such a 1 out of 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 case, the worst the courts could do to you is tell you destroy your copy and any other copies to your knowledge.
I hope you catch the drift man, DON'T SWEAT IT. Do what you do and once you decided to pursue music more seriously, then take your precautions for yourself and others.

Back